DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 1/4/2023!

DEAN

Though I'm a fan of both, I have to say it: the only thing I wasn't really in love with from this show was the MJF/Bryan promo. It went just a little bit too long for my personal taste, and idk if it was the new set or what, but the whole segment kinda made me feel like I was watching the other guys in Stamford for a few minutes - YMMV. Crowd definitely saved it, though.

• Like 5

So the man who I thought was Shang his name is Schaff watch Brian Cage vs Schaff it’s really good. 

The crowd was loud for the local guys. The Bollywood Boyz got a loud reaction throughout their match. Schaff got a loud response when he came out and got a “Defy” chant during his match.

Defy is the local indie out here. Swerve got a “Defy” chant too and he seemed taken aback by it in a good way. 

• Like 3

I may be alone on this, but I love Iron Man matches. Very excited with the direction they are going. In theory, every week getting a (hopefully great) Danielson match up, maybe through in some hijinks, and end with a PPV main event. Yabba dabba doo!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I may be alone on this, but I love Iron Man matches. Very excited with the direction they are going. In theory, every week getting a (hopefully great) Danielson match up, maybe through in some hijinks, and end with a PPV main event. Yabba dabba doo!

Danielson can't shine shit at the PPV main event. There I said it. The weekly matches will be great because he will be facing actual wrestlers, not a guy who watched Attitude / Ruthless Aggression Era and is cosplaying as a wrestler.

• Like 1

Am I alone in really liking MJF’s in-ring work? The match against Ricky Starks was so good. And, silly finish aside, I liked the match against Mox. And he had bangers with Punk. He does a really great job aping a 1980s regional heel. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Am I alone in really liking MJF’s in-ring work? The match against Ricky Starks was so good. And, silly finish aside, I liked the match against Mox. And he had bangers with Punk. He does a really great job aping a 1980s regional heel. 

I hope he stays the course and we don't get the MJF that went up against Darby Allin at Full Gear 2021 (people praised that match for its workrate or whatever, but...). Hopefully Danielson sees the possibilities of wrestling a throwback, but given they have an hour to work with, I imagine Danielson will want to really go for a chunk of it.

Yeah, bagging on MJF's in-ring is kind of confusing to me; sorry @Andrew POE! I think the Sammy match opened a lot of our eyes, then there are the aforementioned Punk matches, and don't forget Darby. The guy is good.

Oh, and the recent Wheeler Yuta match!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

No way, man. I can't remember when it was now off the top of my head, but MJF had a PPV match with Darby that knocked my socks off when it happened. Plus, he went almost an hour with Punk - and no disrespect to Punk, but he was never a super-athlete even back in his physical prime. Danielson's gonna get something killer out of him (even if, as many are predicting, it's an MJF trip to Electric Larryland on the outside for the first 10 or 15 mins). 

Edit: @Matt Di missed your post, sorry man-  I loved that match!! you're totally entitled to your opinion, I'm just kinda surprised, I honestly don't remember anyone saying a bad word about it

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Defy is the local indie out here. Swerve got a “Defy” chant too and he seemed taken aback by it in a good way. 

Oh, that came across crystal clear on TV.  He couldn't help but smile his ass off and what really got me was his smile before doing the finisher.  That was partly him being a cocky heel but you could tell he was beaming with the hometown and Defy love.  Danielson has been basking in the hometown love for some time while with WWE but I was especially happy to see Darby, Swerve and Aubrey have their moments in the sun.

44 minutes ago, Dog said:

Yeah, bagging on MJF's in-ring is kind of confusing to me; sorry @Andrew POE! I think the Sammy match opened a lot of our eyes, then there are the aforementioned Punk matches, and don't forget Darby. The guy is good.

MJF's in-ring stuff is really, really great.  Which is why it's so frustrating to see him try too damn hard with his promos.  If he feels trashing the city on a pre-taped video is needed to get heel heat then he really doesn't know shit about it.  And honestly whoever is enabling this might need to readjust their strategy while they're at it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dog said:

MJF's work is fine. The fact is we don't see much of it in AEW, which is actually part of the whole role. Throwback if you want to see me wrestle, you have to pay to see it - love the concept. It flies in the face of AEW's model of throwing banger matches out most weeks. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I'm not an Ironman match guy at all, but one of MJF's real strength in the ring is his pacing so I'm cautiously optimistic about how this turns out.

I can see he and Danielson coming up with some creative finishes in that match. Stuff like taking a DQ in order to get a pinfall or two, stuff like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Log said:

I can see he and Danielson coming up with some creative finishes in that match. Stuff like taking a DQ in order to get a pinfall or two, stuff like that.

Trouble is we just saw Sammy do that to Dragon. I like the previously proposed idea of MJF cheating to win a quick one and then just running. Or yes, even though someone joked about, total Larry Zbyszko stalling. I don't know how well that would retain TV viewers, but the crowd would probably get as close to riot conditions as the absence of kayfabe allows.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Let's be honest....MJF would have went there first with Brie Bella if Bryan didn't go there with MJF's mom. Based on everything else MJF has done, he goes after the lowest hanging fruit and slut shaming / misogyny is in his wheelhouse too (remember his promos with Brian Pillman Jr about Pillman's mom). I did like Danielson questioning if MJF is even a wrestler because....it's true. I almost wish Danielson added a stipulation that in order for him to agree to the title shot, MJF has to wrestle weekly too (and he wouldn't even have to defend the title when he wrestled). It would have gone differently if Danielson said he didn't need the AEW title; MJF needed to beat Danielson to prove his legitimacy, not that Danielson needed to prove anything to be a World champion (and also allude to the fact that Danielson was a WWE champion and MJF isn't). Danielson could simply say he's a star and started a movement without even trying to be, while MJF tries too hard and wants to be at the place Danielson was that he may never go there.

For better or worse, it's consistent with MJFs lame heel schtique to make those sorts of comments for cheap heat. 

Its really not relevant to Bryan Danielson, the on screen character to spend five minutes telling everyone how many men his mother slept with. Given it's not the first time he's out of nowhere made those sort of comments about women, I get the feeling he's telling on himself a bit.

6 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Britt and Jamie come off as much more likable in this to me. Britt sort of gave a face promo with this, putting over the rest of the roster but touting her and Jamie as home grown stars. Jamie almost always comes off as a face because she is a badass.

Yhea if I hadn't been watching weekly I would certainly have thought that Quintuple H (Hoss Hayter Hit Hard) and DMD AKA The Down from Day One Bitches where the faces in all this

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm pretty sure the lady version of Mox is Masha Slamovich.

I get to see her wrestle Viva Van in 22 days

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Edit: @Matt Di missed your post, sorry man-  I loved that match!! you're totally entitled to your opinion, I'm just kinda surprised, I honestly don't remember anyone saying a bad word about it

It was an objectively good match.

It's also not at all what I want out of MJF. A good performance can sometimes also be the wrong performance.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chaos said:

• The Britt/Hayter promo I thought was solid. It does kind of continue the trope of originals vs interlopers and you do wait the moment that Britt turns on Hayter (I'm guessing we're heading that way for Revolution).

I wonder if we get somesort of double turn?

anyway

Darby and Nick Wayne Post show

May be an image of 2 people and crowd

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

We don't talk about Spanky.

TBH, I'm in favor of giving him another shot in wrestling. I recently did some Googling on him and learned that he's very quietly been doing charity work with an organization called Survivor Mitzvah which gives humanitarian aid to elderly Holocaust survivors around the world. Bullshit apologies/non-apologies to save a job are one thing, but this guy does seem to be legitimately doing the work, well after the fact. It's not up to me, and as someone not of the Jewish faith I recognize that it might be shitty of me to even suggest that I get a vote in any fashion, but I'll just say that I found his willingness to learn refreshing compared to folks who might have doubled down, and I'll leave it at that.

• Like 6

Thinking of Danielson’s gauntlet, I would love to see a wide variety of opponents:

Takeshita, Kingston, Fenix, Claudio, Big Show or something. Ok Paul’s hips probably can’t take it but Danielson rules in matches against giants. 

EDIT: oh shit I forgot goofball comedy match. Add Orange Cassidy - that one’s a must.

Edited by For Great Justice