DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE!- 1/4/2023!

DEAN

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FlrNrktWAAAoIu1?format=jpg&name=medium

Swerve (not that Swerve, smart asses 😉) as Hikaru Shida takes out Toni Storm to get Mercedes Mone.

Yeah that’s pretty blatantly telegraphed during this backstage sit down. Not the way I would have done it, but hey, whatever. Heel Shida versus Toni is gonna be awesome, and maybe we get belt collector Mercedes since she’s absolutely beating KAIRI.

• Like 2

OH MAN DARBY VS JOE WAS GREAT! They tried to out-insane OSPREAY VS OMEGA. Didn't get there, but they really tried. The celebration with Sting afterward was GREAT!

THAT WHITE HOT SEATTLE CROWD was GREAT!! Hometown boys in the spotlight is so much fun. Joyous. A clear distinction from how WWE books guys in their hometown. 

That LONG FESTIVAL OF YOUR MOMMA JOKES to set up A BRYAN SINGLES MATCH EVERY WEEK was pretty great too. BRYAN vs TAKESHITA makes up for a lot.

Which is good, because there was a LOT to make up for.

In my opinion, TROLLING YOUR FANS IS SOME PURE WWE BULLSHIT and AEW shouldn't be pulling horseshit like that. They pulled it twice today, with that awful Dusty finish and the FTR tease. 

I prefer it when you respect your fans, AEW.

In the moment before it became apparent they were gonna do a Dusty finish, I ACTUALLY thought to myself, "Well, at least this will free up a lot of time in my schedule."

And we set up a "NO HOLDS BORROWED" re-match. Oh hooray. Endless Jeff Fucking Jarrett. DEAN is right, though. Gordlow needs his pee breaks.

I love Jamie Hayter but in my opinion "we have been in AEW longer" vs "I have been a female wrestler longer" is a dumbass argument to build a feud around. I am kinda glad Mercedes Banks is NOT gonna be Saraya's partner. Because she would IMMEDIATELY have been treated as the most important female wrestler in AEW, ahead of Hayter and Athena and that also would have put a bug up my ass.

On the other hand: Shida heel turn could be GREAT.

I was worried that the new red and blue colour scheme would feel way too WWE, but it was relatively unobtrusive.

This was a real "Homer goes for frozen yogurt" couple of hours for me. There was WAY more good and pretty great and GREAT stuff than shitty Burger King sports entertainment stuff, but oh boy was the bad ever bad today. AEW is clearly changing. In my opinion, changing for the worse...

... But the great stuff is unbelievable, and there were a ton of little things that popped me, too:

MJF referencing Jim Cornette

Action Andretti

Hangman's jean jacket

He called Jarrett "Jericho"!

The massive rush of Shadenfreude I got from the FUCK YOU JARRETT chant.

Jungle Hook

Bryan's big honest smile

Human Suitor!

Mox just dropping an F bomb

Darby hugging and Joe choking Buddy Wayne's son!

BRYAN VS TAKESHITA!

So my schedule remains pretty full.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I like the new setup. Entrance ramp seems big time. I liked the previous one, but they needed the revamp.

Give me Danielson vs a hopefully healthy Nigel McGuiness and I cry. 

Give me Danielson vs a mentally stable Morishima and I cry.

Give me Danielson vs Shibata and I fist pump and worry about heads.

Give me Danielson vs Nick Gage and I lol

Give me Danielson vs Juvi for some reason.

Darby is a great TNT champ. Now give him a meaningful run. 

Shida should go on a murder badass spree for the disrespect.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Gordlow said:

DEAN is right, though. Gordlow needs his pee breaks.

I am SO excited to start boardwide PEE! GORDLOW! PEE! chants during every J*FF J***ETT match!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Would it elevate or relegate Storm and Shida for them to end up starting their feud and opening the door to Saraya having a more memorable partner? You'd almost have to have multiple women's matches on several Dynamites to fit multiple feuds onto the show if this doesn't just lead to trios matches with Toni/Saraya/Sasha vs Britt/Hayter/Shida matches

(at least we know that it's not technically false advertising if we get Sudden Sasha instead of Toni Storm next week)

But it almost seems too predictable for Shida to just take Toni out of the match, so if she's gonna be out of the match, you'd have to have some semblance of doubt here. Like maybe Sasha takes out Toni and frames Shida for it.

• Like 2

Seattle crowd was molten, definitely made an excellent night of wrestling into something special.

So happy to see Ricky get a clean pin on Jericho after a fun match. Good post-match beatdown too.

Mox's mic troubles were rough and I was a little disappointed that he kept restarting the promo instead of just going on like it was a natural response instead of a speech. Mox is really trying to turn heel but the crowds won't let him. Looking forward to the match.

I appreciated the Jarrett-Lethal intro music mash-up, nice touch. I appreciate that Jarrett will bump and sell hard to make his opponent look good, he really made Bowens' punches look legit. But I also whole-heartedly agree with the Seattle crowd "Fuck Jeff Jarrett". Caster clowning extra hard and personal, almost as if to say, "you want to leech some of our heat, then I'm going to make sure it burns". I was ready to riot for sure, but I guess they realized that that swerve would be the best way to get Aubrey her hometown moment. Rematch on Friday feels way too soon, even if it's the most interesting thing for Battle of the Belts.

Britt and Hayter's segment >>>>>> Saraya's segment.

MJF talks forever, does his usual Roddy Piper Internet troll schtick. It eventually leads somewhere and I guess it's nice to see funny guy Bryan knowing the beating he's going to unleash. And hey, we're going to get some great matches on the road to the PPV, where he'll do the inevitable job. And since MJF loves being all shooty, Bryan should have said "I'm good enough to have been the world champ for that company you're simping for"

Swerve and Fox was Strange Style squared and a lot of fun. Always some exciting, innovative, weird offense.

Jade's stock is dropping faster than Tesla. I guess I'm glad that she's got her own little corner of the AEW women's division where she can continually beat on Skye Blue (who deserves better but is at least getting TV exposure as a reward for actually wrestling a ton of enhancement matches and improving as a wrestler) without doing a damn thing to make her opponents look good. I said elsewhere that if Red Velvet REALLY wanted to get one over on Jade, she would've intentionally lost the match and killed the streak (a mercy killing IMO).

Gunns were corny but nothing was going to kill that crowd tonight.

I did not expect Darby to win, but I'm so happy he did. That match was pretty much what I expected and I was very satisfied.

• Like 5

I don't mind Danielson having to wrestle (and win) every match to lead to a title shot but holy shit I don't want to see MJF attempt to wrestle for an hour. He might spend 20 minutes yelling at fans like Larry Zbyszko than actually wrestle. Does Danielson hate AEW fans or something to force that to be the end result?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I don't mind Danielson having to wrestle (and win) every match to lead to a title shot but holy shit I don't want to see MJF attempt to wrestle for an hour. He might spend 20 minutes yelling at fans like Larry Zbyszko than actually wrestle. Does Danielson hate AEW fans or something to force that to be the end result?

If it's like the Prince Puma-Johnny Mundo All Night Long match, you could have MJF get up a fall and then spend the rest of the match frantically trying to run around the arena and avoid Danielson to kill time, which is exactly how MJF should play it

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 3

He did go 40 with Punk on Dynamite. I'm not pumped for the match, but I do trust Danielson to know how to make it interesting and MJF is talented enough to hold up his own.

It's gonna rule when MJF wins and proclaims himself the greatest technical wrestler

• Like 2