DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

Bear Bronson is slowly carrying everyone to greatness.

Dante Martin vs. Matt Sydal was really fun and I like competitive matches between babyfaces that end with handshakes.

Megan Bayne needs to work on her cardio.

I am enjoying the idea of TH2 being the bounty hunting mercs of AEW.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Digging these promos on Dark Elevation.  Not that they’re all on point, but with this addition AEW is starting to make Elevation regular weekly viewing.  I’m Still skimming a lot of it, but enjoying these improvements.  

I really thought the Santana and Ortiz opening promo was really effective in that super quick  "Do your mission statement in 90 seconds and get out". I now put the notion to the floor that their tag team name just be The Best, The Best, The Best because it actually shortens pretty nicely to TB3, would make a pretty good T shirt even if you spelled it all out, and would be better for ring announcements than Roberts just saying their names.

Hobbs bodyslamming that guy 7 straight times got right into that 'stop, stop, he's already dead' and I was right there for it. 

EDIT: Scorpio Sky's "I'm going to embarrass you" squash was also effective in that he's not really good at destroying people but this was a good step in working towards him being a bad person in another way. Not all squashes have to be the same to work. 

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Oh, this one is fun.

If you're counting battle royals, December.

If you want to look at PPV, he had Elite Deletion in November and the Broken Rules match in September.

Straight-up singles on Dynamite, AUGUST 27th 2020(!!!). Now I'm cheering for him to make it a full year. 

I'd be the first to say, "well fuck it, at least it's not WWE where the same two guys work each other every week" (and you of all people know I would!).  But damn, there's got to be a middle ground between Lashley/McIntyre and not working a match in your division on TV in 9 months. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing about last Friday that kind of confuses me is that there was no NBA on Friday at 8 on TNT I believe.  It was a movie.  Now maybe there was an NBA going on somewhere else or that a game was supposed to game but the series was over.    This week they are showing Captain America according to guide.   So why are they still on at 10?

Also apparently Lio Rush is retired again.  This time based on injuries from his Instagram post.  So that AEW debut was unfortunately a one and done

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

The thing about last Friday that kind of confuses me is that there was no NBA on Friday at 8 on TNT I believe.  It was a movie.  Now maybe there was an NBA going on somewhere else or that a game was supposed to game but the series was over.    This week they are showing Captain America according to guide.   So why are they still on at 10?

Also apparently Lio Rush is retired again.  This time based on injuries from his Instagram post.  So that AEW debut was unfortunately a one and done

I forgot to mention that but figured I was unaware about something going on with the playoffs.   Only thing I can think of is there's some weird commitment to airing those movies at prime time.  

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'd be the first to say, "well fuck it, at least it's not WWE where the same two guys work each other every week" (and you of all people know I would!).  But damn, there's got to be a middle ground between Lashley/McIntyre and not working a match in your division on TV in 9 months. 

See this is why the comparisons to WWE don't work as a defense for AEW's choices. It assumes a binary option between doing what WWE does and the opposite. There are a spectrum of choices for any promotion on all matter of things. We cannot then say AEW is good because they don't do the same things WWE does. There are more than one way to make a mistake. I don't think its good faith to respond to critique of AEW by saying that WWE is worse unless someone holds WWE up as "doing it right". As no one has been willing to pull up an example of anyone who is actually holding up WWE as a well run organization, one would be arguing in bad faith if they ascribed that belief to the other side of the argument.

Not to start a political argument but one could say "Joe Biden is a bad president" but it does automatically mean that person is a rightwing Trump supporter. They could be attacking Biden from the left. They would have to hold up Trump as the better option for one to open up that lane of dialogue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I forgot to mention that but figured I was unaware about something going on with the playoffs.   Only thing I can think of is there's some weird commitment to airing those movies at prime time.  

Or they're starting late because they don't want to go head-to-head with Smackdown.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Or they're starting late because they don't want to go head-to-head with Smackdown.

I wouldn't think this mattered much to them considering it's a temporary thing so that's why I assumed it was something to do with movie commitments.  But it does make me wonder what happens when they put Rampage in the 8pm slot.

It’s definitely a matter of avoiding Smackdown.  In retrospect, given that they’ve taken such a hit in the late-night spot, it might not have made much difference going up against Smackdown, but obviously the optics of “Live ratings are bad because we’re on late” are better than it looking like Smackdown just crushed you in direct competition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But it does make me wonder what happens when they put Rampage in the 8pm slot.

The Rampage time slot is 10PM, sames as these moved Dynamite shows. As of now they don't plan to ever run it at 8PM. It's not a good time slot and they're going to struggle to get even half the viewers of Dynamite.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

It might've been something where they had to leave the time slot open for the NBA in case of game 5, 6, or 7, but the series was already over. Idk if they'd adjust AEW back to 8 pm with that short of notice. I have no empirical evidence to back that up. Just a theory.

On 6/8/2021 at 10:03 PM, AxB said:

Zicky, as predicted by me, did next to nothing other than get killed.

Marko being overjoyed at not being the shortest guy in the match was fun. The gnarly facefirst headstand bump his opponent took for the finish was not fun (for Ariel Dominguez). Also Tay and Natalia Markova has one of those "miscommunication leads to stiffness" battles.

Seeing the Empty Arena setup with the two ramps feels like a backward step though. Roll on July.

Zicky Dice looked great getting his ass handed to him.  I think he'd be a great fit with the Wing Men or more so just the bottom of the card.  He could be a much better Avalon.  

So many bad matches on these Dark shows.  And these Dark commentary teams are amongst my all time least favorites.  I get ppl digging the '0% chalant' attitude of Taz and Excalibur, but it does nothing for the matches.  When during a bout they start pretending to care they have so little believability.  I've refrained from being too critical of Paul Wight.  I want him to succeed, but how the hell is he going to do that in this company?  Who could be on the headset teaching him how boneheaded some of this shit is that he's saying?  'Oh, you were great Paul!'  I bet that's all he hears.  I love AEW, but their commentary is incredibly weak.  Excalibur, tho not a great voice or orator is mostly fine, but  at times sounds like he's telling stories to children.  That's also sometimes the effect of questionable booking.  Schiavone is also mostly fine.  He's got great enthusiasm, but prone to really dumb selling of poorly chosen elements.  And, of course, his constant 'I've never seen that before'.  Generally in reference to moves or things that have happened either that night or the week before.  No point mentioning the old wet blanket.  All this said, nothing to do but eat shit on this one.  These guys aren't going anywhere.     

Edited by HarryArchieGus

7 hours ago, Goodear said:

See this is why the comparisons to WWE don't work as a defense for AEW's choices.

Technically it's a contrast. As far as I know, the bylaws haven't been updated as to whether or not we can make those.

• Haha 1

I remember when TNA got on Spike back in 05 and people where so excited for a wrestling alternative they felt that any criticism (no matter how legit) had to be explained away (sometimes by saying WWE is worse/stupider). I feel the same thing kinda happens with AEW Pointing out AEW missteps isn't necessarily "hating" and fans constantly blowing smoke isn't going to encourage them to iron out the wrinkles.

• Thanks 1

I don't actually think Big Tony reads the board, lol. Even the staunchest defenders of AEW on here raise criticisms. But the discourse on here lately has been absolute smelly ass, so, WHATEVER.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I don't actually think Big Tony reads the board, lol. Even the staunchest defenders of AEW on here raise criticisms. But the discourse on here lately has been absolute smelly ass, so, WHATEVER.

Phhh. Speak for yourself, simp…

Momentum is def an issue. To be honest the Dynamite cards have looked so utterly boring I’ve barely been interested enough to catch the YT highlights let alone the shows themselves. The Inner Circle shouldn’t be a thing anymore either; going to be a real chore sitting through anything remotely related to that 

They absolutely need to have the Pinnacle win the rubber match ASAP and break em up. Group had a great run but it's time for Santana & Ortiz along with Sammy to do their own thing. No more fucking town halls. Please. 

• Like 2