DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

For some reason this makes me imagine Dynamite starting with this as the theme

I too would like the theme changed. Wrestling needs to move out of the Attitude era of nu metal theme songs. 

Oh man, thank you,  the early Dallas theme rules!  And exactly.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

On the bright side, there’s going to be a lot less to argue about in terms of TV ratings now that Showbuzz Daily is officially toast.

Really? I'd heard it was down but hadn't heard why. 

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

No. Just no lol. You can make any argument you want when you twist the data to only include what you want it to include. FTR just main evented AEW's last PPV. They were a part of one of the main story lines of the last 3 months. Including main eventing Dynamite in the first Blood & Guts match. Their current story isn't apples to apples as the tag team champions defending the tag team titles. So why do you only count traditional tag matches for the point you're trying to prove?

They've gotten a ton of TV time in the last 3 months. But none of it counts because they weren't strictly two on two tag matches? Okay. But that means fucking nothing. That's you cherry picking what you want the results to be.

A dude asked why FTR aren't having tag matches every single episode of Dynamite. And I responded by saying that over exposes a talent and is something I think AEW tries to avoid. And what actually solidifies the point I'm trying to make is your stat on The Young Bucks. A lot of people (not everyone) are starting to get turned off by them. Well maybe it's because they're getting put out there too much in matches.

But only counting traditional two on two tag matches when trying to make a point about a team that has had more than just traditional two on two tag matches is disingenuous. And frankly pretty fucking stupid. Guys Britt Baker has had zero traditional tag matches in 2021. They obviously need to book her better. Why won't they push Britt Baker???

I was the ‘Dude’ inquiring about FTR.  I wasn’t asking why they aren’t wrestling tags simply on Dynamite but a combo of Dynamite and Dark. 

i appreciate @Goodearsharing that info.  I can’t speak for him but I don’t believe it was an argument of them getting buried.  

Yes, I’d like to see arguably the best tag team in the world wrestling tags rather than appearing in mediocre town halls and group vignettes.  And I’d like to see them much more regularly.  

• Like 3

Count me among those who'd appreciate seeing more of FTR, one of the best tag teams on the planet, being featured as such. I appreciate a War Games as much as anyone, but in these group matches and segments with ten people they're at best third and fourth banana in their own squad. They're background players. I'd like to see them actually get to do what they came to this company to do. That they haven't done so on TV in 3+ months is negligent booking. As to scarcity creating greater demand and appreciation, there's something to be said of just straight up depriving an audience of what they want. This company's booking philosophy is to have the wrong sense of timing for literally everything. It's trash that there hasn't been a segment on Dynamite recently that's just them straight up outfoxing Bear Country or some other team that doesn't matter. But I guess the Bucks needs their time. They're Tony's favourite action figures right now. 

Bringing up Britt Baker not being in tag matches is such a nonsensical argument that it borders on parody of this company's fandom. She's a singles star, nobody cares about disingenuous whatabouting about her being in tag matches. Holy fuck. 

Anyone brining up WWE to justify AEW's booking philosophy is gaslighting you.

At least that FTR-Santana/Ortiz match is seemingly finally coming. Literally the only thing anyone with discerning taste would actually want out of the Inner Circle-Pinnacle drivel at this point. And boy, doesn't the meal always taste better when the waiter takes for-fucking-ever to get the shit to your table? Doesn't that just put you in a fantastic mood? 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Count me among those who'd appreciate seeing more of FTR, one of the best tag teams on the planet, being featured as such. I appreciate a War Games as much as anyone, but in these group matches and segments with ten people they're at best third and fourth banana in their own squad. They're background players. I'd like to see them actually get to do what they came to this company to do. That they haven't done so on TV in 3+ months is negligent booking. As to scarcity creating greater demand and appreciation, there's something to be said of just straight up depriving an audience of what they want. This company's booking philosophy is to have the wrong sense of timing for literally everything. It's trash that there hasn't been a segment on Dynamite recently that's just them straight up outfoxing Bear Country or some other team that doesn't matter. But I guess the Bucks needs their time. They're Tony's favourite action figures right now. 

Bringing up Britt Baker not being in tag matches is such a nonsensical argument that it borders on parody of this company's fandom. She's a singles star, nobody cares about disingenuous whatabouting about her being in tag matches. Holy fuck. 

Anyone brining up WWE to justify AEW's booking philosophy is gaslighting you.

At least that FTR-Santana/Ortiz match is seemingly finally coming. Literally the only thing anyone with discerning taste would actually want out of the Inner Circle-Pinnacle drivel at this point. And boy, doesn't the meal always taste better when the waiter takes for-fucking-ever to get the shit to your table? Doesn't that just put you in a fantastic mood? 

-Woof. I was on board with a lot of what you were saying until you starting going off the deep end. Don't mistake me for someone out here saying AEW is perfect and if you don't like it you're wrong. That ain't me. I'm out here saying I like what AEW is doing. I'm very upfront about that. But I'm not trying to get YOU to feel exactly the same as I do. And that's why @Gordberg is starting to go a little mad having to refute @Goodear. He's not just telling us that he doesn't enjoy AEW. He's actively trying to say we're fucking stupid for liking it.

His argument on FTR matches is hey let's not count 75% of the matches they've had, for the purposes of making the end result he wants to show. Why do six man tags not count as matches? Why do Wargames matches not count as matches? The end result still shows what he was trying to say without having to disregard reality (Young Bucks have had more matches than FTR in the last 3 months period, regardless of configurations). So my Britt Baker take was just as dumb as his to demonstrate that point. If you exclude everything that doesn't support your point, well guess what... the results are gonna support your point.

-As for what I bolded of your post, didn't know you were the FTR whisperer lol. As just someone on the outside looking in I'd say they are major Horsemen fans. I would also say specifically major Arn & Tully fans. I think they fucking love they're in a Horsemen-like group. I think they fucking love that they are doing Wargames matches and dressing up like Bunkhouse Stampede dudes working violent bloody brawls and being prominently featured as important characters in an important story. I think you're projecting what YOU want them to be doing. But without directly asking them, who knows. Yes they excel at traditional tag  team wrestling. But boxing them in that that's all they are allowed to do, or that's all they enjoy / only reason they left WWE is absurd.

-Lastly, bringing up WWE isn't gaslighting. It's the easiest and most direct comparison. I don't like A. I prefer B. Even when B makes missteps or doesn't quite hit the mark, I still prefer it to A. There's ZERO gaslighting in those statements. Because I'm just laying out my opinion. I'm not trying to get you to disbelieve your own eyes and change your reality. That's crazy. I'm literally just saying I like B better than A. So you may want to take a few steps back. In trying to prove that a cult exists... you're really starting to sound like you're in a cult on the opposite end of that spectrum my dude lol.

And in closing... I actually think this past week's Dynamite was my least favorite Dynamite of all time. So I'm certainly not out here trying to gaslight anyone into anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

And that's why @Gordberg is starting to go a little mad 

"Starting."

And in closing... I actually think this past week's Dynamite was my least favorite Dynamite of all time. 

Glad to hear the spell is beginning to break for some people. I'm happy for you. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Oof.

I mean, was this entirely unexpected in this time slot? I know this is where Rampage is going to eventually be, but I have to imagine those will be much better and heavily hyped cards (at least to start) than this was. Maybe they expected to retain more of the Smackdown audience?

Also, why the hell didn't they just put it on TBS live on Wednesday? They must make a ton on those Big Bang Theory reruns I guess

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EVA said:

Wait, TH2 are back with Hardy?

I would like to see Matt try to turn Angelico into his brother: getting him to dye and grow out his hair, paint his face, wear socks on his arms.  Maybe teams up with him, drops down on all fours so that Angelico can run, jump on his back, then gingerly climb down and put an obscure lucha submission hold on his opponent.

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, EVA said:

Wait, TH2 are back with Hardy?

They had a seg earlier, where Matt said they never had an official business agreement but TH2 are still working freelance so he offered to pay them to take out Christian and a spot in the Hardy Family Office if they succeeded, so its Angelico vs Christian on Dynamite and I guess the Dark match to further establish that

• Like 1

Watching Elevation, it occurred to me: Why does Scorpio Sky not come out with the actual "Brass Ring" he won? I feel like the crowd would boo the shit out of him for something so goofy.

• Like 1

Queen Aminata managed to get over with the live crowd, despite being in a squash match everyone knew she was losing. That's got to be good news for her career prospects.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

Queen Aminata managed to get over with the live crowd, despite being in a squash match everyone knew she was losing. That's got to be good news for her career prospects.

She got to show her offense that makes her stand out in the indies.  That match was awesome.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Oof.

Yikes. That number looks bad.

For those with some idea how TV programming works: Is there any chance this leads to the TV executives reconsidering the plan to put Rampage on Friday? Is the time slot carved in stone now that it has been announced? Do same-day ratings matter more to TV people than 7-day ratings? 

I think it was @Technico Support who was saying on the Dynamite thread that he watched the Friday show on Saturday, skipping through parts, and didn't feel it lime he does watching "live" on a Wednesday. I'd have to imagine he's not the only one. Even on here, there weren't very many comments on the show right after it ended.

For me, later on Friday night works because it airs at 11 am on Saturday here and that's a free and convenient time for me, but even so it doesn't have the same feel as a Wednesday night (Thursday morning) airing where I've got a chat going with some of my wrestling friends and also the DVDVR Discord to read during commercial breaks. 

I'm looking forward to Dynamite having a permanent timeslot and hoping that Rampage is not given a death slot.

Or at least, as @Zakk_Sabbath suggests, that AEW book Rampage so that it becomes appointment viewing... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Watching Elevation, it occurred to me: Why does Scorpio Sky not come out with the actual "Brass Ring" he won? I feel like the crowd would boo the shit out of him for something so goofy.

I'm still a little baffled that he comes out to "Reach for the sky!"  when that feels really synonymous with Jay Briscoe. Every time that theme kicks in, I go "Oh shit the Briscoes...oh...right". It would be like Joey Janela coming out to the sound of glass breaking...well maybe not quite.

3 hours ago, Dog said:

Sonic has it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gordberg said:

For those with some idea how TV programming works: Is there any chance this leads to the TV executives reconsidering the plan to put Rampage on Friday? Is the time slot carved in stone now that it has been announced? Do same-day ratings matter more to TV people than 7-day ratings?

Same day still carries more weight just because watching live means not being able to ffwd through the commercials. That number may not look great, but you also have to consider that they might not have anything else they can put in that slot that is going to do better. I don't want to predict what Rampage is going to do, but it will have a lot more dedicated promotion about it and the day its on then a Dynamite that's being temporarily displaced due to basketball

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These shorter Darks have me all conflicted. It seems like there are less enhancement matches.  These Mondays/Tuesdays for AEW are all jumbled together in my short term memory banks.  In the moment Dark Classic usually has a leisurely pace to the shows.  Monday, especially June 2021, shows have more of a rushed feeling as the night goes on.  That is probably 99% reflected by the commentators.  Elevation has been shorter so far this month.