DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

A new month of AEW begins and at the halfway point of the year, Thunder Rosa vs. Dr Britt Baker's Lights Out match on Dynamite (17th March) is still my worldwide Match of the Year, not just in AEW. *****.

Edited by The Natural

6 hours ago, AxB said:

These Elevation matches with crowds from the Friday taping are really good at letting you know who actually got over in the no-fans era. Only apparently, it's everyone in AEW that's over. Some more than others, to be fair, but nobody was getting crickets.

Quickly skimming the entrances - Jungle Boy got the biggest pop, BY FAR. But Thunder Rosa got an incredible reaction too. I think right behind those two, oddly enough... Varsity Blondes got a pretty big reaction as well. Tay Conti & Pentagon, too. I do still find it weird when they pretend to be airing live on a Monday night, when, for example, Schiavone is clearly interviewing Jungle Boy (and eventually Christian Cage) in an empty arena at like midnight or something after Double or Nothing went off the air. Made even weirder by the fact that Schiavone insists there are fans in the arena, when there clearly isn't. I don't like that.

But the way I've read some of these tweets and stuff about the Dark Elevation taping on Friday... it sounds like they taped Dynamite that night as well? What?

1 hour ago, Casey said:

But the way I've read some of these tweets and stuff about the Dark Elevation taping on Friday... it sounds like they taped Dynamite that night as well? What?

Dynamite was live last Friday. They taped Elevation and Dark before them.

So you know how they sell Dailys Place tickets in multi-date bundles? Well, the June package is for shows on Friday tje 4th, Saturday the 26th and Wednesday the 30th.

Saturday Dynamite?

Seeing Christian vs Jungle Boy at the end of the battle royal, it reinforces the notion that the best use of Christian is as a masterful veteran hand to season some of your tippy-top prospects who don't work too outlandish a style. If he's a face, Ricky Starks is the obvious guy you want him against. As a heel, he could really take JB to school. But the issue then becomes reps. To get the most out of the learning experience, you'd want them to do this for weeks or a month on the road. This company's booking philosophy doesn't allow for an abundance of rematches, and there's no real house shows to speak of. 

Would a solution not be some sort of best-of series? Jungle Boy trying outwork Mr. Out. Work. Everyone. on the road could really accomplish a few goals all at once. A best-of series with FTR and a tag team that needs polishing could have similar potential benefits. 

Just a thought.

Edit: Mr Out Work Everyone vs the guy who's had more matches than anyone else in the company, best of seven. That's it. That's the pitch. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

I'm not against Christian being a main eventer / champion. Age is just a number, and he can very clearly still go. Him and Frankie shouldn't be used just for their veteran presence. Bockwinkle owned it in his 50s as an example.

Hell, Frankie looks like a smaller Randy Orton, and he can work work circles around him. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'm not against Christian being a main eventer / champion. Age is just a number, and he can very clearly still go. Him and Frankie shouldn't be used just for their veteran presence. Bockwinkle owned it in his 50s as an example.

Hell, Frankie looks like a smaller Randy Orton, and he can work work circles around him. 

Yeah I agree, which is why I said best use of Christian rather than only use. He can still work at a high level, there's still a degree of recognition of him as a top-ish guy from his time in WWE, and he's already given voice to his desire to work with Omega. There's definitely space for him to hover near the top of the card and he envisions himself there, so he's going to be slotted there occasionally one would imagine. He's here to be featured to some degree, elsewise he might not have made the jump. With the line already around the block for potential champions, I'm not sure how inclined they'll be put it on another guy pushing 50. But I do expect him to perform more gracefully than Jericho in this latter stage of his career. 

The sooner they turn Christian and get him involved on weekly tv in the ring the better though. If not for Miro's miracle run and likely loooong title reign, I would suggest he'd be the perfect TNT champ working draws with guys like Jungle Boy.

• Like 3

Miro yeeting the snake bag is legit one of the best things I've ever seen. To make it even better, Miro looked like he was having the time of his life. 

• Like 1

I am not sure when exactly this happened and it has absolutely no bearing on current things but Awesome Kong's contract expired and AEW rightly declined to sign her to a new deal

Really liked how they showcased Jungle Boy on this week's Elevation and Dark main events. It would be pretty cool if once Rampage starts they have contenders run the Dark/Elevation/Dynamite gauntlet to earn a TNT title match on Friday Night Rampage. 

A week after we were randomly talking about Chris Candido, Taz suddenly bringd up Chris Candido on commentary (comparing Ryan Nemeth to him). Coincidence, or... is Taz lurking?

HEY TAZ! GRIFF GARRISON IS JUST LIKE A YOUNG BARRY WINDHAM ISN'T HE?

Let's see if that works.

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Casey said:

Quickly skimming the entrances - Jungle Boy got the biggest pop, BY FAR. But Thunder Rosa got an incredible reaction too. I think right behind those two, oddly enough... Varsity Blondes got a pretty big reaction as well. Tay Conti & Pentagon, too. 

Just got done catching up with Dark Elevation. Between that and the PPV, I honestly think I enjoyed the crowd reactions just as much as I enjoyed the in-ring action. So, so great to hear and see a hot live crowd going nuts again. It's been so long.

According to my doctor, it's likely that I'll be able to actually be part of a live crowd (maybe Colega pro wrestling) by the end of August. Cannot clearly express how much I am looking forward to that. 

And, like @AxB said, it really felt like everyone in AEW (except Cody) has come out of the pandemic era more pop-ular than ever. Hopefully we are in for months and months of white hot TV crowds as they resume touring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AxB said:

A week after we were randomly talking about Chris Candido, Taz suddenly bringd up Chris Candido on commentary (comparing Ryan Nemeth to him). Coincidence, or... is Taz lurking?

HEY TAZ! GRIFF GARRISON IS JUST LIKE A YOUNG BARRY WINDHAM ISN'T HE?

Let's see if that works.

Goddamn... Griff really is at least built like a young Barry Windham.

5 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Was/is Hook MJF's Gum Guy? I DEMAND ANSWERS.

Stephen Roe on Twitter: "MJF having a dedicated guy for chewing gum is just  the best. No, he's the best!… "

omfg he was! NOOOOO. Future storyline built in. Hook gonna beat MJF for the title!

• Haha 1

Jungle Boy seems legitimately surprised at how over he has become.

Because the Dynamite and PPV cards were announced ahead of time, but the Dark and Elevation ones weren't, the fans not knowing who's coming out next, and then popping huge (or not) when they realise who it is, that really lets you notice that JBs pops are bigger than everyone else's. If it comes out that the plan had been to have Christian win the Battle Royal and they made a late call to give it to Jungle Boy instead, I wouldn't be too surprised.