DVDVR Message Board

Your wrestling HOT TAKES

A.M.B.

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

You know who is really the underappreciated Horseman?  Paul Roma.

This is my vote for thee Hottest Take Of All. Congratulations.

But, Pretty Wonderful would have worked as Horsemen. PW was a great tag team and what you said above. Therefore, using the maths, I conclude that Paul Orndorff is one of the best, Q.E.D. (not a hot take at all).

- RAF

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Killer Karl Kox wasn't in the KKK he just used the initials to get heat

I don't think Dick Murdoch was in the klan either.  The only story I ever heard was that he drove Dusty to a klan meeting as a rib.  I've heard a few stories where Murdoch was a racist redneck asshole, but nothing confirming he was actually in the klan.

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

I don't think Dick Murdoch was in the klan either.  The only story I ever heard was that he drove Dusty to a klan meeting as a rib.  I've heard a few stories where Murdoch was a racist redneck asshole, but nothing confirming he was actually in the klan.

JR said that Murdoch showed him a Klan membership card.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:46 AM, Eoae said:

I always thought Sid was a worse fit in the Horsemen than Mongo was.  For that matter, I think Dean and Benoit were worse fits, personality-wise.  Mongo is/was a charismatic guy who liked to talk and fit the Horsemen's "We do what we want.  We work hard, then we play harder" ethos.  Sid didn't and fairly grim, humorless Iceman Malenko and Benoit didn't either.  I also never really thought those three had a lot of chemistry with Flair.

I don't think it's that much of a hot take, but my mildly warn take is that Wyndham should have been the last Horsemen.  Creative was out of fresh ideas for the group by then, and most of the members after that were bad fits for one reason or another.

I buy Sid kinda for the same reason I buy Mongo "lets go get the biggest, meanest kid on the block as back up". I like Dean and Benoit as a 90's version of Arn and Ole.

Hot take: I would rather watch Dick Murdoch's fake son Trevor wrestle a match than I would Murdoch the Original purely from a "what will entertain me the most" standpoint. 

That's gotta be a blazing take, but it is my truth. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Hot take: I would rather watch Dick Murdoch's fake son Trevor wrestle a match than I would Murdoch the Original purely from a "what will entertain me the most" standpoint. 

It depends how you feel about watching KKK members wrestle. A tough choice!

Edited by Ryan

My easiest one is this. I'll dump it here on page 14 since it's sort of obvious and old hat:

Nothing makes me doubt someone's wrestling opinions more quickly than if they make a general, matter-of-fact statement how great Bruiser Brody was.

That's the wrestling criticism version of not knowing how to do the pro wrestler's handshake.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ryan said:

It depends how you feel about watching KKK members wrestle. A tough choice!

I actually think it's more that Murdoch the Lesser is a tough country boy type in an era where they don't exist anymore, so it makes him stand out. There aren't enough dudes who look like weekend barfighters in U.S. pro wrestling. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I actually think it's more that Murdoch the Lesser is a tough country boy type in an era where they don't exist anymore, so it makes him stand out. There aren't enough dudes who look like weekend barfighters in U.S. pro wrestling. 

Penta El 0M might.

14 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I haven't seen enough of Dick Murdoch but I was really into Trever and Cade's tag team back when

• Like 1

My big gripe with Trevor Murdoch is that, during his WWE run, someone told me he was Dusty's son, and, for some reason I believed that without looking it up.  I didn't find out it was nonsense until I eventually repeated it on this board.

Lol, I did the same thing with Big Show.  He had been with the WWE long enough to lose his hair before I realized the WCW backstory about him being Andre's son was just kayfabe.

The moral of the story is: Google can be your friend.

28 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I haven't seen enough of Dick Murdoch but I was really into Trever and Cade's tag team back when

Agreed, and I've enjoyed him when he's popped up post-WWE. I enjoyed him in NWA, for example. He looks and wrestles like an old-school southern wrestler from the '80s and he cuts a pretty good fiery babyface promo, too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morganti said:

Hot take.

A *good*match and a match you enjoy seeing don't have to be the same thing.

Some of the most entertaining matches aren't necessarily good by objective standards.

And some is the best matches aren't always fun to watch after the fact.

That kind of sums up my love for deathmatch wrestling. It’s never really “good” but I’ve seen a hell of a lot of fun deathmatches over the years that are watchable just from the spectacle of them.

KOTDM 2003 is one of my favourite shows ever because it’s fun to watch, I find myself going back to it more than say a lot of my ROH dvds from the same time.  Even though I know that the ROH shows from that era have a ton of great matches on them I’d sometimes rather watch Balls Mahoney & Horace the Psychopath hiptoss each other badly onto lighttubes.

• Like 1

Dick Murdoch was about like Dusty...old before the old guys we grew up watching were old. He was pretty good in the ring before he got old from what I’ve seen. Also like Dusty, the oldest NWA tapes you can find aren’t old enough if you want to find evidence of this lol! And he was just the total epitome of cool ole redneck rassler. And I wouldn’t count out the KKK status but I would count out the card. Lol KKK card. 

• Haha 1

I am kinda looking forward to the "Re-assessing Seth Rollins" thread that I'll be reading, hopefully on this message board, in 2032, three years after Seth irreparably destroys both his knees doing Crossfit and has to retire early. 

• Haha 3

Maybe my hottest take is this:

Kayfabe is well and truly dead. Outside of maybe real real little little kids and a tiny number of genuine outliers, everyone who is paying any kind of attention to pro wrestling understands what the deal is. 

This kind of goes back to @Matt D's excellent "pro wrestling is no longer pro wrestling" take, though he may not agree with where I end up running with it.

Wrestling fans aren't so much popping because the good guy beat the bad guy any more, at least not directly. We are popping because the nice and funny lady who is so good at playing a big ole meany on TV put over the young lady who has proven herself to us, and we like that booking decision. We are popping because the young daredevil and the big steroid guy did a great job of executing the "David vs Goliath" formula, even subverting it at points, and they also got us to buy into some of the nearfalls. We are booing the guy we follow on social media who signed our t-shirt and took a few extra moments to make a brief but genuine connection with one of his fans, maybe talking about heavy metal or video games and not getting impatient when our significant other took a couple of tries to get the picture just right. We are booing him because he's playing a heel and we understand that our role in this is to boo the heels, and we enjoy playing that role. Finding out he's really a nice person doesn't change that it's fun to boo him when he's working. In some ways, it makes it better. We understand that the wrestlers currently engaged in a violent blood feud don't necessarily despise one another in real life. In fact, we may know for a fact that they are very good friends, that they attended each other's weddings, that they used to crash on each other's couches back before they were famous.  We don't so much hope that the guy who got done wrong will make the hateful bastard pay, but instead we hope that they'll show some real hatred and violence in there, go hard, maybe throw a couple of potatoes... but keep it safe, you know... 

And it's not the same as hoping that the actual genuine good guy will beat the truly heinous bad guy in an actual no fooling fight, but it's still a ton of fun. 

Pro wrestling still requires consistent internal logic to be at its best... but in no way does it require us to believe that the faces are genuinely nice or the heels are genuinely evil or that the wrestlers really hate each other or that it's an actual contest, or that the mysterious powder really blinded that guy... or any of that. The cat is well and truly out of the bag. Everyone's a "smart mark" now. 

It's still pro wrestling, but it is massively different from what it was 30 or 20 or 10 or even 5 years ago.

And what it is now, and whatever it is becoming next, is still an excellent and enjoyable thing. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Let's get reductive.

Being a Shawn Michaels fan is the pro wrestling equivalent of being a Tit Man.

I mean, if you are a man who doesn't enjoy a titty, you live a life that I do not understand, but will support you either way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Dick Murdoch was about like Dusty...old before the old guys we grew up watching were old. He was pretty good in the ring before he got old from what I’ve seen. Also like Dusty, the oldest NWA tapes you can find aren’t old enough if you want to find evidence of this lol! And he was just the total epitome of cool ole redneck rassler. And I wouldn’t count out the KKK status but I would count out the card. Lol KKK card. 

Murdoch never got old, he died at 49

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Let's get reductive.

Being a Shawn Michaels fan is the pro wrestling equivalent of being a Tit Man.

Well we all know what being a Billy Gunn fan makes you.

And now that fucking song is stuck in my head.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10