DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Well I got an email regarding the Network moving to Peacock. I mean as much as an email with a giant picture of Charlotte is with a single link to Peacock's page

https://www.peacocktv.com/sports/wwe

Move is still set for March 18 and unless I am misreading they are going with the "you have to sign yourself up for Peacock" plan

Starting in April, Peacock will be the exclusive streaming home of WWE Network. Until then, you can keep watching directly on WWE Network, as long as you have an active subscription. You can also create a Peacock account to stream WWE Network on Peacock beginning March 18.

Note: WrestleMania on April 10 and 11 will only be available to stream on Peacock.

It's hard to be negative about the move when you're getting the entire Peacock catalog along with The Network for the price we already pay (or less if you don't care about ads). But this is starting to give me bad vibes. Instead of having a way to migrate your account over, they're just saying screw off and sign up on your own you lazy fuck?

I am 99% sure the functionality we all enjoy is going to be gone. Say goodbye to the really well done search feature & starting a live event from the beginning. If they're being this lazy about sign ups, they are definitely not adding the bells and whistles we're used to. Corporate American strikes again.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Sad 1

I will say for once this might not the fault of the WWE (outside of making the deal in general) as the little bit I have been able to read is it is more on NBC Universal not being very good at this whole streaming thing.

But yeah - I was barely watching the Network. So now get it for free since I have Xfinity (and don't care about ads). So absolute worst case for me - is I still don't watch the Network and instead waste the $10 on something else

Considering that they've apparently already walked back the promise of converting subscribers, two key answers on their seven question FAQ  are "we're still trying to figure that part out," and the next PPV will be available on both platforms just in case, I have nothing but the utmost faith that this will go off without a hitch for Wrestlemania.  ?

Edited by Technico Support

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will say for once this might not the fault of the WWE (outside of making the deal in general) as the little bit I have been able to read is it is more on NBC Universal not being very good at this whole streaming thing.

Yeah I totally agree. All WWE is guilty of here is saying yes when someone said 'hey man want a billion dollars' lol.

It's such a clusterfuck. Like, is WWE going to keep accepting auto payments from people in The United States? Are we gonna be able to use the old back door with an international VPN? Or are they going to cancel everyone from The United States' accounts automatically?

We are two weeks away and the answer to all the logistics questions are just gifs of people shrugging and cats slapping the camera.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

A lot of states have been open for a long time. The fact that they haven't run a full crowd in Florida yet is them showing uncommon restrain, to be honest.  

Is it that they're showing restraint, or is it that big chunks of the roster (or just a couple of main eventers) have said "If there's a crowd there, I won't be"?

Just now, AxB said:

Is it that they're showing restraint, or is it that big chunks of the roster (or just a couple of main eventers) have said "If there's a crowd there, I won't be"?

from everyone's Instagram I'd say it's not an issue. Honestly, the dirty secret is the WWE probably doesn't mind doing the Thunderdome because they can pipe in boos and cheers and running small capacity shows like AEW doesn't seem to interest them. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'll be interested to see how much they neglect the Network proper once they funnel the US customers to Peacock and it would only be used in other markets. 

Great point.  You see how booking went to shit once guaranteed TV money and no longer running traditional PPV killed the need to drive business via good booking?  Now the network money is guaranteed and there’s no driver for producing good network content.  I wonder if these trends toward putting the company on autopilot point to a possible sale in the future.  “IT’S A TURNKEY BUSINESS PAL!”

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I'm sure NBC must've laid down parameters and expectations regarding content when they signed the deal. 

Like finding the December ‘91 Omni 60-minute match between Steamboat/Dustin and Arn/Bobby.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

That actually would be hilarious, if there was one old-school nut high up in the NBC decision-making chain that drives WWE crazy. "Why aren't Georgia Championship Wrestling Omni house shows on Peacock yet? Start with the annual tag tournaments, asap!"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm wondering if the reason they aren't porting over accounts from the Network to Peacock is due to any legal ramifications.  I doubt they're allowed to move your payment info to another service and charge you without your authorization.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

This might be better for the WWE Network thread but is there any stated reason why none of the Championship Wrestling from Florida stuff is available to stream?

I'm guessing cause a lot of it probably isn't watchable (meaning the video quality), and they found out when they got the shit. I say that cause I just found out they own the SMW tape library a couple weeks ago. They have a grand total of eight episodes of SMW TV on the network and probably some individual matches somewhere hidden on the network. No Bluegrass Brawl. No Volunteer Slam. No Night of Legends. No Fire on the Mountain.

God knows what shape and condition Cornette (or whoever he sold the tape library to in order to buy more Double Stacks from Wendy's) gave the WWE the tapes in.

Just now, nofuture said:

I'm wondering if the reason they aren't porting over accounts from the Network to Peacock is due to any legal ramifications.  I doubt they're allowed to move your payment info to another service and charge you without your authorization.

It's probably a minor issue in the grand scheme of things(and I'm in @RIPPA's boat when it comes to being an existing Comcast subscriber so I'm going from $10 to free) but what sucks for OCD people like me is that the Network would always mark which shows I had previously watched(although I've noticed issues with that the past week or two) and I have a feeling that that viewing history of mine will probably not survive the move to Peacock. 

• Like 2

Just now, odessasteps said:

Given that JC has often talked about how low fi SMW production was (I think they recorded on Super VHS), I could see it being below their quality

Standards. 

I watched one episode (on Youtube, not the network cause again I didn't know the WWE owned the rights) fairly recently where it looked like some grainy FanCam footage that someone uploaded on the internet. However, this was stuff for the TV MATCHES and not footage from the untelevised "arena" (if we can call some of those places he was running arenas) shows interspersed between TV matches. 

I was thinking, "Dude, you cannot insult anyone about their TV production ever again and YOU were putting that on television."

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

My family in Bexar County were going nuts about Spurs allowing fans back soon and then this announcement came out today so I'm guessing that Spurs higher ups had a heads up that led to their teaser about fans?

Fun fact for non-Texans: that word is actually pronounced "bear".

I'm in retail also and I wear glasses, the fogging up is a constant issue for me, moving in and out of a freezer constantly (I'm a butcher), but I find masks that work, and it's way better then the alternative. Once the restriction is lifted, I'm still going to be wearing one cause people are stupid.

• Like 2

(cross posting from the NXT thread to get more eyeballs)

The Network is showing a Takeover on Thursday April 8th as an incentive not to cancel if you go to the cancellation screen. Makes sense in the overall picture, a last minute test for an exclusive Peacock PPV. But man Wrestlemania week(s) is gonna be just way overkill this year.

Mon April 5th   |  Raw go home show
Wed April 7th   |  NXT go home show
Thu April 8th    |  NXT Takeover
Fri April 9th      |  Smackdown go home show
Sat April 10th   |  Wrestlemania Night 1
Sun April 11th   |  Wrestlemania Night 2
Mon April 12th  | Raw after Wrestlemania
Tue April 13th   |  NXT after Takeover **(rumored Tuesday night move starts here)**
Fri April 16th     |  Smackdown after Wrestlemania

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I watched one episode (on Youtube, not the network cause again I didn't know the WWE owned the rights) fairly recently where it looked like some grainy FanCam footage that someone uploaded on the internet. However, this was stuff for the TV MATCHES and not footage from the untelevised "arena" (if we can call some of those places he was running arenas) shows interspersed between TV matches. 

I was thinking, "Dude, you cannot insult anyone about their TV production ever again and YOU were putting that on television."

But I mean in fairness it wasn't like the money was there to do much better.

Also every episode of SMW TV has been uploaded to YT.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I used to own a lot of SMW fancam footage, plus a complete set (I think) of the TV and it was sometimes hard to tell the two apart, lol.

That said, I quite enjoyed SMW.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, sabremike said:

But I mean in fairness it wasn't like the money was there to do much better.

The problem with that idea though is Cornette always argues that whomever is taking advantage of billionaires and dubiously spending their money. Yet, if I was Rick Rubin or whoever was his benefactor at said time, the first that would pop in my head seeing that is, "What the fuck are you doing?". That's the same fucking thing, which is why I contend Cornette is somewhat living vicariously through the (soon to be over) Wednesday Night Wars. It's like he is wishing he could relive his days as a promoter and do things differently.

Even for local wrestling as a vanity project tribute to the territories, which Cornette was essentially doing, it would be low rent and ghetto to air that footage. Now as a guy who had already spent several years in the wrestling up even by that point going back to his photography days and selling glossy photos of the wrestlers, you would think Jim would hold himself to a much higher standard than that. That goes especially that now he is criticizing the production of other promotions (and for whatever reason, comparing it to WWE who had the luxury of being around for several decades and decades more experience in high level television production). If you're going to stand on that hill, you cannot be also the same guy who at one time put a cheap camcorder on a tripod in the bleachers somewhere in Jellico, TN at the high school and call that wrestling programming let alone production. Those two things do not jive together. 

Also every episode of SMW TV has been uploaded to YT.

Shit, I know that. Youtube ain't the problem. I was talking about why it isn't on the WWE network.