DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROYAL RUMBLE POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The purpose of the Rumble result is to get people excited for mania. If you haven't done that, you have failed. 

If the best argument you can come up with for an Orton win is some convoluted bs where the title changes hands prior to mania, and Orton faces Bray in  the 4th or 5th match on the card which doesn't draw a dime, you have failed. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Zero surprise legends makes this the most disappointing Rumble ever. Not even Kane, first time he hasn't been on the Rumble card since 98. Sucked.

Kane missed one the year he had the street fight with Cena. I think. They don't acknowledge it now, though...

EDIT: 2012. WWE tried to play it off later...

Edited by just drew

So Meltzer says Goldberg is likely to be Owens' opponent at Fastane.

Meltzer has also said the plan is for Owens to drop the belt before WrestleMania.

So... Goldberg vs. Lesnar for the Universal Title?  In 2017?  At their biggest PPV of the year?

Oy vey.  Guys like the Miz and Ambrose are in trouble when Vince's black ops boys perfect cloning and Vince simply grows 20 clones of each guy who was slightly over during the Attitude Era.

2 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Oy vey.  Guys like the Miz and Ambrose are in trouble when Vince's black ops boys perfect cloning and Vince simply grows 20 clones of each guy who was slightly over during the Attitude Era.

I can't wait untli Vince enters a team into the King of Trios that consists of Billy Gunn, Bradshaw and The Warlord.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Thought both world title matches delivered the goods. Cena/AJ was absolutely excellent, loved the way they played off their former matches and AJ was absolutely protected in defeat. He survived the Avalanche AA and he was so tough Cena had to chain two AA's back-to-back to ensure he stayed down. Loved Cena powering up and nailing that killer clothesline too. No shame in AJ losing to arguably the greatest WWE champ (both kayfabe and not) of all time. Read some complaints that Cena's record-tying title win would be devalued if he loses it at Elimination Chamber, but lets be honest - Flair's final title runs in 2000 WCW were hardly stormers.

Owens/Reigns was a lot of fun too, though I kinda wish Roman wouldn't take such huge bumps for a fanbase that really doesn't deserve him. Guy takes an absolute hammering in that match, that Braun chokeslam on the announce table HAD to suck to take, and yet he still doesn't even get the grudging respect that someone like Cena gets. He's given Styles, Balor and Lesnar their best WWE matches, given Owens the best match of his title run, taken some insane bumps over the years (getting chokeslammed out of the ring through two tables by Big Show a year or so back was an lunatic bump)....Roman should just accept he's not going to win this crowd over and save his body with lazier main events.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

So Meltzer says Goldberg is likely to be Owens' opponent at Fastane.

Meltzer has also said the plan is for Owens to drop the belt before WrestleMania.

So... Goldberg vs. Lesnar for the Universal Title?  In 2017?  At their biggest PPV of the year?

Again, "take the belt off the up and comers and put it on a name before Mania" is WWE's thing.  We just saw it with Styles.

I'd rather have Owens beat Goldberg via Brock interference.  Have Owens beat him with his old F-Cinq finisher just for fun.

• Like 1

I love how WWE is pinning the hopes of the Women's Division on a woman who can't even make her finisher look good consistently.

Roman/KO was a great spectacle match until that absolute turd of an ending. In general this show was basically everything wrong with how WWE has handled Roman. Because when he's punching KO through nightmare chair stacks and Powerbombing him with force through the announce table, fans got hot. The boos subsided and for a second the crowd was okay with the idea of a Roman win...then the MUST PROTECT ROMAN TO LOOK STRONG booking kicked in and they lost it. THEN the Rumble happened and just...holy shit. It sucks too because he's become one of the smartest dudes for match layout and generally works hard and seems like a good dude and IS legit talented. Just a waste. His facial expression from the apron at KO's art project was the best though.

Neville/Swann was one of the few bright spots of the CW division post-CWC so far.

Cena/AJ ruled. Probably my MOTY so far. Loved how Cena came at this intending to give AJ nothing and kept cutting off his momentum to prevent a repeat of Summerslam and even still nearly fell victim to the same finishing combo scenario before cutting it off and just using overkill to make sure he stayed down. A well earned 16th title for the guy who for better or worse has been WWE's longest lasting, and arguably all around best Ace. Ties Flair's canon record, which...look. Nerds can cite Flair's ghost reigns to still make him their best ever, but also Flair's last title reign was awarded to him by Nash and he lost it in the first defense the same night and thus if it wasn't NUMBER SIXTEEN it would be relegated to the same historical significance as Dolph's first reign, so hey.

Anyway. Great match. Fighting with Roode/Naka for my MOTY right now. Pretty much the perfect blowoff to the Cena/AJ feud which like...AJ has beaten Cena in every meaningful match to date, so Cena overcoming to win 16 is the right booking even if it should have really been at Mania instead.

Rumble had some great moments but holy shit that result and really the final four on were garbage. Odd year Rumbles are settling into that though.

Goldberg/Brock is great so far. I dig the idea of Monster Brock thinking he's levelled up enough to beat Goldberg after their last match only to get humbled badly and then get all hyped to avenge himself only for a repeat. As long as it's paid off with a Brock win, this works super well. That said, it's super weird that Brock is getting the story that someone like Roman should have had with Brock in the first place.

• Like 3

They should've had the buzzer go off for #30 and then nobody comes out.  Then the camera goes backstage where Rollins is standing there with Foley and they're being accosted by Styles who's demanding the #30 spot cause Rollins can't use it.  "I saw Raw.  Show sucks by the way.  You're as bad as Bryan and Shane."  And Foley's trying to explain that Rollins' spot has already been claimed and when Styles asks by who, BAM!, The Big Dog punches him from offscreen.  Then Ambrose drives up in a cart, Reigns hops on, and they roll out to the ring to a massive pop.  Then Reigns enters...to massive boos...and shitcans Jericho who gets chased to the back by Ambrose in the cart...to a polite applause.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I can't wait untli Vince enters a team into the King of Trios that consists of Billy Gunn, Bradshaw and The Warlord.

I can't wait to see Round 1 of that tourney where Satomura dropkicks those guys in the face.

I'm going to Greggulate and say Orton winning was a fucking awesome swerve & let's see where it goes.

People talking about a Roman Reigns heel turn like Vince, HHH, and whoever else don't get that most of the fans hate his guts have a loose grip on reality. Reigns coming in at 30 was major troll lolz.

I actually watched this unspoilt for the first time in a long time, and it was a blast. Yeah Taker was comically bad and the late picks for the top guys are dumb (they should just do the thing where top seeds pick from 21-30 or whatever), but it delivered with realistic expectations and had good matches underneath it. 

I don't want to even say the Rumble sucked, it was just very underwhelming. You get the feeling they wanted to get the get the boo birds to sing and nobody was feeling it. 

The best section of the Rumble was when Braun was in there. Of the people in the match, it should have been him or Zayn. At this point, its clear WWE is not going to do anything interesting with the Rumble. 

Styles vs Cena was great and I loved the finish. Cena hesitating and doing another FU made sense. I really like how Cena pulls new moves out of his ass like Goku in a DBZ movie. 

Owens vs Reigns felt like two indy guys trying to imitate Styles/Cena and coming up short. Owens is the worst World Champion since Miz.

I like Orton but he didn't need the win. They used to do a pretty good job of elevating guys with a Rumble win. Our last six winners have been Sheamus (who was already a main event guy), Cena (though he had to win for the Rock match), Batista (remember that?), Reigns (which was an attempt to elevate someone but you know...), Hunter, and now Orton. 

The main issue with this one is that no one in particularly came out of it looking great. They used to book the match in segments to where guys who weren't going to win came out looking great. Even Strowman who they did pretty good with was dumped unceremoniously. Guys like Ambrose and Ziggler and Miz who have been featured heavily on TV came across like afterthoughts. Clearly, the whole point of the match was to continue to heat up Brock/Lesnar (and I don't get people not digging this story), UT and the Big Dog, and Bray/Orton. As effective booking, it did a great job, but the other 24 guys in the match were literally just extras. Keep Joe and AJ and even American Alpha way out of that shit.

Oh, and Styles vs Cena was one of the best matches in WWE history. They tore that shit down in front of 50,000 people and Styles came across like the best wrestler in the world.  

• Like 1

I haven't watched the SS match since it happened but really dug last night. Sometimes I elevate matches because of the stakes and place. This was the WWE title match in front of 50,000 people at the second biggest show of the year with Cena going to tie a record. It was the best example of "epic WWE title match" they've had in a while. I mean, SummerSlam was basically perfect too...

• Like 2