DVDVR Message Board

2017 ROYAL RUMBLE POST SHOW DISCUSSION

RIPPA

This is the kind of shit booking that makes me want WWE to fail one day. Like I have followed this company since I was 10, and the past decade has been annoying me.

I have never seen an Orton/Cena match that has been good. Even if they aren't running the program...I don't want to see Orton or Cena in the main event because you have been building other stars the entire fucking year. Like Wyatt faily and Orton is not a Wrestlemainia Main Event worthy program. Cena has not been around long enough to have a feud outside of AJ Styles. 

Like I was okay with Cena winning if not a little disappointed, but naw. You goy two dudes who have not even wrestled a full fucking year set to main event? Man, if I was working for Vince or the McMahons, I'd make a Cody Rhodes and just take my mediocre ass to the indies and make a name for myself because this is that bullshit never satisfied smarks talk about. Every time this year, Vince shows he has no faith in anyone not in his paradigm in spite of these dudes carrying the WWE this year.

Man, I am going to bed.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Rick said:

I hate this trend of independent wrestlers complaining on Twitter about guys on national television stealing their shit (which they stole originally from someone else on a smaller scale but whatever) as Gallagher did more to get the Umbrella over in 5 minutes than Marty Scrull has in his entire career. 

And Bill Dundee was using an umbrella as a foreign object 25 years ago.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, elizium said:

When did they finally figure out the difference between annual and anniversary? They mentioned at some point this being the 30th annual Rumble and later Michael Cole mentioned that next year is the 30th anniversary, they've always used the terms interchangeably in the past.

They finally did! This was the 30th edition of the Rumble and next year is the 30th anniversary.

Me and my buddies made note of it since we hated how they used anniversary in the past.

God, Taker looked so old and pudgy.  He now looks like the guy that does the same gimmick 20 years later.

...shit.

I *am* kinda glad there weren't a lot of surprises.  The last 15 years of the Rumble has been nothing but "who will be the surprises this year?" and it's overshadowed the event itself.  Same thing happened back in ECW when Heyman ran out of shocking surprises to show up every show.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Zero surprise legends makes this the most disappointing Rumble ever. Not even Kane, first time he hasn't been on the Rumble card since 98. Sucked.

You know your main event has problems when Kane not being in it is an issue.

Meanwhile, Enzo and Cass look back at their Rumble, then look at Alpha and say, "At least we get paid extra for working tonight."

Oh, and did Ambrose literally handle Zayn's ball for him? So much for Sami's stock rising.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Nia Jax vs. Alicia Fox was a match.  Not sure if the right way to rebuild a monster heel is to have her beat the shit out of someone that the fans actually want to see the shit get beaten out of them.

That was Sasha tonight.

Thought the pre-show matches were decent. Don't really care much for the Club so I'm not really happy they are champs. Without Balor or AJ to lead them in a stable I just don't see the point.

Charlotte/Bayley was good.

Owens/Reigns was nice enough while it lasted. i was disappointed Owens retained. Strowman interfering made sense though and would have been fine had Roman helped to eliminate him from the Rumble. otherwise it was kind fo stupid with them pushing towards Taker/Reigns.

I barely paid attention to CW Title match. What parts I saw looked nice enough.

Cena/AJ was great, easily MOTN. I thought things built better than their last match. I was actually pretty happy Cena won until the Rumble winner.

First third of the Rumble was good. After Strowman's awesome elimination it lost some of its punch. They saved way too many guys for Goldberg & Brock and waited too long to bring both out considering the build for their rematch. The later stuff with Taker was disappointing. He wasn't anywhere near the shape he was several months ago back on SDL. Roman coming out at 30 is fine if its a the beginnings of a heel turn. Orton winning is nonsensical bullshit if they are just going to have him face Cena. AJ/Orton is a far fresher match and one AJ actually wants. They really should have went with someone newer. I'm not saying Joe per say though he would have been far more interesting than anyone else who participated, especially with Cena as an opponent. This was a better Rumble match than the last two years, but ti still wasn't good. It started off strong, but petered out gradually around half way through.

I thought this was a mixed show overall. The Rumble itself might have been disappointed, but the under card matches mostly carried it show on the whole.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That was Sasha tonight.

That was my go grab snacks match.  I rolled out to the kitchen right before the entrance announcements.  I couldn't tell if that was Sasha or Alicia, and didn't expect Sasha to be that far down on the undercard.

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That was my go grab snacks match.  I rolled out to the kitchen right before the entrance announcements.  I couldn't tell if that was Sasha or Alicia, and didn't expect Sasha to be that far down on the undercard.

Sasha had over 2000 fans show up to a signing earlier in the day but she's jobbing on kickoff shows.  WWE has no idea what they have in Sasha and Bayley.  They continue this Charlotte PPV streak that nobody cares about.

• Like 6

Maybe they do AJ/Orton?  I know Styles was lobbying for it at one point.

They'll never pursue it, but there's a great little mystery story to be told on how Reigns got the #30 spot.  It'd be cool if one of the RAW guys started asking and snooping around, thinking Foley gave it to him for whatever reason but learning Mick had nothing to do with it. It'd be a neat side story, but they won't go there.

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

I'm digging the Wyatt's feud at the moment, but does it need the belt?

Hopefully this is where is where the feud gets interesting.  You have a stable consisting of two guys who are notorious for fucking people over and one of them has a guaranteed title shot sometime in the future, so who is using who here?

Meltzer confirmed on the radio show that Cena is losing at EC and that is why they pulled back on really going over the top on talking about Cena winning his 16th title.

His quote was (in regards to Mania) was "because that is what the card is"

How I'd have ended it - Bray and Orton final two. Bray makes Orton throw himself out. Bray with the tarnished win but furthers the brainwashed storyline. Orton wins Elimination Chamber, gold makes him snap out of it. Showdown at WM - champion weak and going in as underdog and intrigue as to whether Bray still holds sway over him

• Like 1

So, they have to make an angle out of Roman some how getting the 30th spot in the Rumble right? That might be the only way to salvage the whole Rollins/Triple H mess with Triple H and Stephanie saying Roman was always the one they wanted in The Shield. Seth, just jumped first.

I thought it was a great rumble up until like when Brock came in. Than everything fell apart. I actually thought Jericho might still be able to sneak off a victory somehow because they kept bringing up Lawler trying to do it in 1995. I'm really tired of seeing God Mode Brock Lesnar where he is untouchable and this means you need an equally God mode opponent in Goldberg to defeat him. Okay, Brock killing Enzo was amazing. that almost was worth it. Braun looked great though in the match which was awesome. Man, did he ever murder poor James Ellsworth. I was kinda hoping he would break Roman's elimination record.

After Baron steamrolled him out of the ring I want to see them two in a singles match more than ever.  But I guess they're just going to casually forget about it and focus on Braun vs. Roman.

Maybe we can get Baron vs. Taker in that crazy Doctor Who/Highlander scenario I would love to see where if Baron beats Taker he takes his power and becomes The new Undertaker (well not literally, but just his essence). Taker looked a tad punchy last night so I'm not sure why they have him out there unless it's finally to have a big send off match at Mania. Corbin or someone new would benefit way more than another part timer.

At the end I was like thank God Orton won but at the same time I was like DAMN IT he won. Thank's WWE.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Styles/Cena were trying to out do Omena/Okada last night. They might have come close. Wow that was great...even if it was Super Cena winning in Super Cena fashion.

• Like 1

Tired from watching live. Hardcore in the UK ; )!

Legit Boss gets Legit Squashed. Fuck that.

AJ Styles, the best wrestler in WWE loses the WWE Championship to John Cena. Ugh. Hope Styles' not lost in the WrestleMania shuffle.

Randy Orton winning the Royal Rumble match. Ugh and worse still if it's bloody Cena vs. Orton XXIX as a lower estimate.

No Royal Rumble match surprises. Booooooooooo. Kane doesn't make yet Roman Reigns does even when he loses the WWE Universal Championship match.

I'd have kept the WWE RAW Tag Team Titles on Cesaro/Sheamus. Cesaro should be in main events at least, preferably as world champion. One can dream. That's how it remains.

Least Kevin Owens remains the WWE Universal Champion.

• Like 2