DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL NXT DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Yep, undefeated Asuka vs. undefeated Nia Jax for the gold is what I want to see. Emma has been thrashing jobbers and has built an aura of toughness that will get solidified by this match with Asuka; just hanging with Asuka will make her look awesome, and we still get undefeated Asuka vs. undefeated Nia Jax...but hopefully not before months of Nia killing everyone but Asuka. 

Discussion of how Asuka should lose her first notable match at Takeover with some bullshit shenanigans are obviously suffering Stockholm Syndrome in relation to typical WWE booking.  They don't HAVE to do 50/50 booking with this one, just putting up a strong fight and taking Asuka to the limit would elevate Emma in and of itself.

How many matches of meaning has Emma won though? She's good and I don't want to see here fade into oblivion (like Blake & Murphy in about two-four weeks). I'm still in favour of Asuka winning a tough match but I can see why you'd want to keep Emma from being a competitive jobber.

With the amount of women they have now, I think it's totally possible to have Emma thrive in a mid/upper card diva role of being strong enough to be a legit challenger without her having to win the big matches.

With what they did this past week, I think Emma could come out of this looking super strong but get caught with a huge knockout kick so Asuka stays undefeated.

Discussion of how Asuka should lose her first notable match at Takeover with some bullshit shenanigans are obviously suffering Stockholm Syndrome in relation to typical WWE booking.  They don't HAVE to do 50/50 booking with this one, just putting up a strong fight and taking Asuka to the limit would elevate Emma in and of itself.

How many matches of meaning has Emma won though? She's good and I don't want to see here fade into oblivion (like Blake & Murphy in about two-four weeks). I'm still in favour of Asuka winning a tough match but I can see why you'd want to keep Emma from being a competitive jobber.

They've built up Asuka as the female Brock Lesnar, so a competitive loss from Emma elevates her more than beating almost any other woman in NXT.

No it won't. Asuka's beaten jabrones and Dana Brooke (who they're unhappy with how little she's progressing or some such shit). She's not the female Brock Lesnar, let's not get carried away.

Emma needs some wins if she's not going to be firmly entrenched in obscurity. Sure, maybe Asuka ain't the one to get the win over, but she needs something.

Emma can definitely look strong without winning, she just needs to play it like she's scared and in over her head and tries to cheat, then as the mach goes on she's able to absorb what Asuka throws at her and keep coming back, gradually getting more confidence, but ultimately losing in the end.

Part of the problem is that there aren't enough faces in the NXT Women's division for her to beat that would make for a credible win. Maybe they should send Becky Lynch back down for a short program and put Emma over. Or alternately, after Bayley loses, maybe have Emma beat her in a short program or even in a one-off match on TV. 

No it won't. Asuka's beaten jabrones and Dana Brooke (who they're unhappy with how little she's progressing or some such shit). She's not the female Brock Lesnar, let's not get carried away.

Emma needs some wins if she's not going to be firmly entrenched in obscurity. Sure, maybe Asuka ain't the one to get the win over, but she needs something.

Every time Asuka has wrestled every single mention by a commentator is that she is a beastly machine.  Even Graves this week just flat out discounted the heel Emma in her match against Asuka.  He was even putting over Eva Marie to win the title from Bayley but won't give Emma a chance.  That's not because Emma is a slouch, that's because of the shine NXT has been putting on Asuka. 

Emma doesn't need a win here.  I think she's built herself up to near the top of the pyramid of NXT women.  In fact, as crazy as it sounds, I can make an argument that Asuka needs a win more than Emma. You would need hardly any buildup for the fans to buy Emma taking the belt from Bayley.  Go back to Takeover Brooklyn when she won the 4-way match.  Originally, people were like "Wait, Emma won?"  But after thinking about it and throughout the following weeks, people bought it. 

I think my point is that I think it's more likely than not that both women come out looking better than they went in.  If this was the main roster, I'd be totally wary.

Are you serious? Both Dana and a main roster diva not only put her over, but did so as being completely outmatched. Dana sold her kick finisher as causing brain damage. Emma has been visibly frightened of her. When she finally got a beatdown in from a sneak attack, Asuka got up and smiled at her. This week's match ended in a knockout that was practically incidental as the heels had distracted her.

"Firmly entrenched in obscurity" was where she was at when she came back to NXT. She's fought her way out of that, all without any big wins (excluding the accidental one in Brooklyn).

Part of the problem is that there aren't enough faces in the NXT Women's division for her to beat that would make for a credible win. Maybe they should send Becky Lynch back down for a short program and put Emma over. Or alternately, after Bayley loses, maybe have Emma beat her in a short program or even in a one-off match on TV. 

But that's one of the other benefits- there's only a couple faces, but there's people like Carmella who's outside the title picture, plus enough jobbers bubbling under so that there's a chance to give Emma some programs...and as this storyline with Asuka's proven, a good solid program, even if it's clear the endgame is "you're going to get destroyed" will do more than trading some wins.

Are you serious? Both Dana and a main roster diva not only put her over, but did so as being completely outmatched. Dana sold her kick finisher as causing brain damage. Emma has been visibly frightened of her. When she finally got a beatdown in from a sneak attack, Asuka got up and smiled at her. This week's match ended in a knockout that was practically incidental as the heels had distracted her.

"Firmly entrenched in obscurity" was where she was at when she came back to NXT. She's fought her way out of that, all without any big wins (excluding the accidental one in Brooklyn).

Yes, I am serious. This is my serious face. Dana was starting to drop falls before Kana had signed. They're giving Asuka the initial super push they're giving most everybody else. Yes, they're putting her over as a highly skilled bad ass, but we can start comparing her push to Lesnar's when she beats Nia Jax (or Bayley) with more or less one hand tied behind her back to win the title. 

There is a definite lack of established babyfaces in the women's division after the horsewomen were called up. Emma can beat up all the enhancement talent they've got, but it's not really going to do anything for her. And, yes, getting over with a loss is certainly possible but she's not 1-2-3 Kid or some other underdog full of chutzpah. She's lost too many big matches in a row for that to really be a big deal. Plus, it's almost always babyfaces that get over in a loss. A botched finish in a 4-way match isn't much to hang her hat on. That this is the most pressing issue NXT is facing speaks to how well they've balanced the roster up to this point and executed great storylines (and the wrestlers of course taking what they've been given and hitting it out of the park). I don't even want her to beat Asuka, I'm an Asuka mark for sure, but she'll need some rehabbing after Takeover.

At this point, I'm guessing she's just thrilled to be back in NXT and get meaningful, thoughtful material to work with and an opponent as good as Asuka.

A possible answer is to have Dana turn on Emma after the match, therefore beefing up the babyface ranks and giving Emma some possible meaningful scalps in the near future. It's not ideal, as Emma's doing really well in the heel role (though I don't know how she keeps a straight face when saying "Emmalution") and it wasn't that long ago that she turned heel to begin with. Nobody wants her to have Big Show Syndrome.

Yes, I am serious. This is my serious face. Dana was starting to drop falls before Kana had signed. They're giving Asuka the initial super push they're giving most everybody else. Yes, they're putting her over as a highly skilled bad ass, but we can start comparing her push to Lesnar's when she beats Nia Jax (or Bayley) with more or less one hand tied behind her back to win the title.

Nope, going ahead and comparing her push to Lesnar's. She just won by KO, for Christ's sake. And Dana dropping literally *two* falls in the time since she's debuted doesn't mean her putting Asuka over is meaningless.

Emma squeaking out a win to set up a grudge match is one thing. Trading wins on a weekly basis is another.

I can also see the benefit of keeping Asuka an unbeatable monster though. Her vs Jax will be an interesting match when it happens and the more stakes the better.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8dQCfAmdW5-fbrhKj0mN6w

Most of the Newcastle card is up there either in full or highlight form, including the Regal speech. No sign of a full Zayn vs Balor yet though. Catch it while you can.

*bookmarks YouTube channel to go with the gazillion others I prowl for random rasslin matches*

I think the problem with the main roster begins with nobody being over and that is in part because of trading wins. I don't view Emma as a superstar. I think she's awesome in this role but not everyone can be the star. I think losing a hard fought battle to Asuka would be fine.  Emma is more like a midlevel boss of the women's division and there is nothing wrong with that.  Asuka is someone you can build an entire division around.

• Like 3

I'm surprised anyone thinks Emma should win that match in any capacity. Asuka has two legit main events waiting to happen with Bayley and a built-up Nia Jax. There are no money matches that involve Emma. She's good in her role, but right now her role is "make Asuka look like a world beater" and that involves doing the job next Wednesday.

• Like 4