DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL NXT DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

There were definitely some circumstances that conspired to make it more difficult for Callihan, but ultimately, I think his failure to thrive in NXT was due to him being too small to work the style that he built his reputation on in WWE and his inability to adapt beyond that.

He's only 28, so it's not like this is the end for him. But if he ever wants to make it back, I think he needs to push himself to vary up his game more. If he just goes back to being Mr. They Came For STIFF on the Indies and throwing a hundred suplexes and hard forearms, that's pretty much all he's ever going to be.

Not saying he isn't or can't be good, just that, as somebody who only knows him as Solomon Crowe and nothing beforehand, he never was able to show anything on NXT to impress me. I'm not shocked that he's gone. He obviously wasn't being given anything he could sink his teeth in to as a performer.

• Like 1

His biggest problem was that nothing about his character in NXT really made any sense. His hacker gimmick, which was never fully utilized in the first place, didn't fit with his ridiculous haircut and ringgear.

He should have taken Sami Zayn's advice from Breaking Ground and just dared to try something else. I don't know how much of the blame there lies on him and how much on WWE.

His biggest problem was that nothing about his character in NXT really made any sense. His hacker gimmick, which was never fully utilized in the first place, didn't fit with his ridiculous haircut and ring gear.

He should have taken Sami Zayn's advice from Breaking Ground and just dared to try something else. I don't know how much of the blame there lies on him and how much on WWE.

I put a lot of it on Crowe not being able to tie anything together from the start into a constructive whole.  The Hacker/Anarchist character could have worked in the hands of a decent promo or someone who could have realized the character potential.  I think WWE just threw him out there eventually because they had already given him a fairly long time to put it together.  Considering NXT's track record, I don't know you can put this failure on them.

His biggest problem was that nothing about his character in NXT really made any sense. His hacker gimmick, which was never fully utilized in the first place, didn't fit with his ridiculous haircut and ring gear.

I put a lot of it on Crowe not being able to tie anything together from the start into a constructive whole.  The Hacker/Anarchist character could have worked in the hands of a decent promo or someone who could have realized the character potential.  I think WWE just threw him out there eventually because they had already given him a fairly long time to put it together.  Considering NXT's track record, I don't know you can put this failure on them.

Even then, there may have been reasons- maybe the gimmick was hard to get into, maybe he had bad luck, maybe NXT's midcard singles division is virtually nonexistent, but all of those things boil down to: Crowe just wasn't as good as advertised. Even with Kassius Ohno, he at least was good in the ring in NXT, but didn't really care about the other parts of being a WWE Superstar.

By contrast, if you're a superstar on the indies, and you CAN'T GET the Full Sail crowd to worship you, you must really be overrated...possibly even to the "PWG nothing, Crowe might have to be TNA-bound" level.

• Like 1