DVDVR Message Board

Raw 7-27-15

MGFanJay

I enjoyed Raw tonight. The matches were generally fun, as were the few segments done. Cena/Rollins was probably my favorite match between them though damn did I feel sorry for Cena after that knee. Its kind of crazy they continued after it. I still have no interest seeing the two wrestle again at Summerslam, but I certainly enjoyed tonight's match.

• Like 1

I have no idea where you go with Rollins for Summerslam now.  I mean I guess it is still Cena vs Rollins at Summerslam for the world title but since Cena beat him clean with a broken (maybe) nose then why should I get interested in the rematch.  

Owens vs Orton had potential but as soon as Shemaus was in commentary you knew it was going to be nothing.  Although an argument could be made that the run-in saved Owens from facing a 4th or 5th loss in a row

• Like 1

I have no idea where you go with Rollins for Summerslam now.  I mean I guess it is still Cena vs Rollins at Summerslam for the world title but since Cena beat him clean with a broken (maybe) nose then why should I get interested in the rematch. 

Kane and J&J will return to help Rollins win reigniting the storied rivalry between John Cena and Kane?

I'll be honest, I didn't watch either Owens-Orton or Cena-Rollins because the former didn't interest me and the latter is something I saw 67,000 times at the end of 2014.  But, I thought there were three really solid matches: Matadores-Lucas (Which was actually a lot of fun some good high-spots, but it's tough for WWE cameramen to catch all the action with continuous shots of PTP at the table and then New Day showing up, I can just imagine Vince screaming"SHOW THE NEW DAY! NOW TITUS! DAMMIT, DARREN SAID SOMETHING, CUT BACK TO HIM! BACK TO TITUS! BACK TO NEW DAY!"), Bella/Fox-Becky/Charlotte (which was just solid, not spectacular, probably would have meant more for Becky if she'd pinned Nikki) and Sasha-Paige (Which was just a really good match).  Personally, I kinda think they should have made the factions: Paige/Becky/Fox (playing off Paige and Fox's Total Divas friendship, though that may be coming to an end this week), Team BAD, and Bellas/Charlotte (With Charlotte being brought in as their back-up and gradually tiring of the Bellas and turning on them).  But, really, those are minor criticisms when we're getting two solid women's matches a show, being given lots of time and no screaming by Jerry Lawler about how hot they are.

I'm a bit surprised people are down on any aspect of this show. I thought it was easily the best Raw of the year with a couple low-end MOTYC's and no x4 material outside of the recaps.

Nobody has said a word about Ambrose/Show? I know it sounds skippable on paper, but this was really good. Ambrose just constantly moving forward, and Show not budging. Really good character work from both guys and the finish was different and cool. It's like they read my mind about wanting different match structures, and were like "Ok, how about a fading fighting spirit finish built around a count out?" Loved this match.

Paige/Sasha was another top-shelf match, on par with what's been going on in NXT this year. The spots with Paige out-smarting Sasha were well done to the point I was actually a bit surprised Sasha got the clean win. Between the flash win, and Sasha doing most of the talking backstage, I'm glad they seem to be moving her to more of the leader role in her group. I hope Paige doesn't get lost in the shuffle because she's repeatedly shown that she can be great when she gets something to work with.

Lucha Dragons vs. Matadores was fun. Liked Los Matadores working a little more heelish, but still hitting some crisp, flashy offense. Guessing we get a multi-team clusterfuck at Summer Slam. New Day and PTP both still rule, even in limited roles.

The women's tag was fine. Alicia tried to kill herself on a simple back bump, but I liked the effort from her and Nikki. The predictable result of Becky over Alicia was fine, because it's 100% the right move. At least through 2 weeks, the "divas revolution" has been booked pretty well.

Owens/Orton was just ok, but I always like matches where Orton works face but still gets a lot of offense. This was pretty close to 50/50 and I feel like they have a better match in them down the road. One problem here was that Orton dwarfed Owens who's been the big guy in most of his matches thus far, or at least close to the same size in Cena's case. You forget how big Orton is sometimes. I also have no idea why they couldn't let Cesaro get a little shine here. I liked his run-in where he brushed off Sheamus then went straight to Owens, but this probably would've been better with a ref pull apart neutral finish or the faces standing tall.

Cena/Rollins was one of their better matches, and could've been really great if they played up the strategy of Rollins being super high-risk because he has nothing to lose. The finish fit that story arc perfectly. There were still some pretty smooth counter sequences in this match and of course the busted nose added a lot. Cena's STF was tight too. Obviously the WWE champ taking a fall isn't ideal, but they were booked into a corner. That's why I felt they should've played up the loss more as Rollins taking more risks than normal and getting caught. You also need a follow up match where Rollins controls more and outsmarts Cena for the win to set up the title vs. title rubber match. Hopefully they actually build a story here instead of a repeat of the Owens/Cena series.

• Like 1

Love how Stardust has been incorporating Dusty lines into his promos over the past couple of weeks.

He's even saying them in the same accent/lisp of Dusty which is so great.

Yeah this night of firsts was pretty good. Would have been better if last week they announced they were doing this night of firsts so maybe over the course of the week it would build interest for it. I know I'm asking too much there though.

Stephanie and her white suburban mom letting loose at the club dance will never get old.

Dean Ambrose is going to win an Oscar someday. I loved his whole refusing to die bit and Big Show getting more and more annoyed because the match wouldn't end.

@cagesideseats 6h6 hours ago

Everyone shut up, it's RuRu and RaeRae

Rusev was too damn much tonight. We need a spinoff with him and Summer and Lana. Make your own jokes that Lana's box smells like fish.

The women's matches were all right. I want to believe there is some conspiracy theory that Nikki is using her clout as Cena's girlfriend to keep the NXT Women's championship belt off Sasha when she walks to the ring. I mean she has it in promos and stuff backstage, but its very odd she doesn't wear it to the ring especially when they announce her as champion. I mean it's not like its WCW where everything was taped 6 weeks in advance so they only announced champions in dubbed in voice overs. Can't wait for either Charlotte or Becky to turn on Paige. That's going to be so fun when that happens. Wish Charlotte would learn how to do a chop though.

Cena/Rollins was fun. I figured Rollins would win someway or another...but I guess I should know better by now. I hope they don't blame Rollins for the broken nose though. This wouldn't be the first time Cena injured himself because of his placement. I think he tore that pec muscle a few years back because of the way he himself took a move and not so much the guy doing it to him.  Rolins should have won though. Do it in some chickenshit heel way (count out or something) to build to a no excuses type deal at Summerslam.

Lots of good stuff again this week. Loved Sasha/Paige with Sasha getting the big tapout victory completely clean. She shined once again and looked like a total star standing tall in the end. Good to see Becky get a win as well in the tag, enjoying having two good divas matches a week now. Thought Big Show/Ambrose was pretty good too, better than might be expected with Show looking dominant and Ambrose getting put over for his fighting spirit, cool finish. Cesaro looked good coming in for the save unloading on Sheamus and Owens before getting caught. Loved the main event. Cena's busted nose was insane. Had to pop for Seth busting out the Davey special superplex/falcon arrow. Next time it has to be countered. Always dig when the Phoenix Splash is brought out. Strong finish for Big Match John. They got a lot of time and had a lot of cool spots and sequences, wondering if they'll put some type of gimmick match on if they're doing it again at SummerSlam. 

Really good main event between John Cena and Seth Rollins. Always had great chemistry like Cena with Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Cesaro, Kevin Owens and Rollins. THAT knee and nose, nasty. Rollins got stretched in that STF.

As it appeared on the Raw show tonight, John Cena suffered a broken nose from a hard knee square on the nose during his match with Seth Rollins in the main event in Oklahoma City.

No word yet on how much time Cena will have to be off, although he was scheduled to face Rollins at SummerSlam on 8/23 for the WWE title.

No surprise John Cena's nose was broken. Cena's nose was a right state.

Did Rusev call the dog, "Dog Ziggler"? If this were Memphis in the 70's, Dog Ziggler would be the Roughhouse Fargo to Dolph's Jackie. Whenever Dolph had a particularly nasty feud that he needed help with, he'd check his brother/cousin Dog out of the mental institution for back-up.

• Like 1

who else finds it funny that the WWE won't call her Charlotte Flair but yet keep beating us over the head that she's Flair's kid

They have been doing this for awhile.

I mean they always talked about Axel being Curt's kid and even based a T-shirt around it.

They really need to decide if Steph and HHH are heels or not. They're still hanging out with the sniveling heel champ, but HHH is more or less a Regal-style "put on the best show every week" face in practice at this point. And Stephanie does positive things like introducing the beloved NXT women, but in the most smarmy, disingenuous way possible. I kind of maybe sort of get what they're doing, I think. In theory, the idea of transitioning to a more or less neutral authority figure rather than the cartoon villains they've trotted out for years is great. But good lord are those not the two to do it with.

• Like 1