DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I'm sure I've talked a little about this before, but I knew Chris Benoit a bit. I'm from Fayette County, GA, which is where Benoit settled with Nancy. I had a few dozen interactions with him, and knew Daniel and Nancy fairly well. Chris was always friendly, if a bit standoffish. I knew to steer clear if it was just Daniel and he, as he cherished that time. There is an Italian restaurant in PTC that is to Olive Garden what the fast food restaurant in COMING TO AMERICA is to McDonalds, and my family and I would always see Chris w Nancy and/or Daniel there on sundays. We'd nod. I'd see him at the gym a lot. I never knew what a maniac the guy really was until one time when he was working on the bench press and he grabbed me and my workout partner by the collars and stuck each of us on one side of the bar. Never said a word. Just grunted. When he'd repped whatever insane amount was on that bar 6-8 times, he racked it, got up and shook each of our hands. Never said a word. I remember in the weeks leading up to the 2004 Royal Rumble, having an inkling he might win because the guy was doing 80 minutes at a clip on the treadmill at a pace between jogging and sprinting. Chris Benoit was always a terrifyingly intense human being. It doesn't take much for me to imagine that the repeated concussions turned a human being that was already maybe a little menacing into what he became.

Was it the Italian Oven next to the Publix?

I really like that, that is what you took from that.

Mania 4 is a bit iffy.

It was definitely the most hyped match, but it didn't have the main event slot and it was really sold around the tournament in general.

It was on the posters and the vhs tape.

It's iffy, like I said. I'm inclined to call Savage/Dibiase the main, but clearly that couldn't go on the poster.

About the earlier discussion, Andre main evented four pay per views.

Wrestlemania 3

Survivor Series 87

Wrestlemania 4

Summerslam 88

Technically, Andre also main evented the 89 and 90 Royal Rumble since the Rumble match was the main event. The Warriors/Heenan Family match main evented the 89 Survivor Series, although Andre lasted about 30 seconds in the match.

I'm sure I've talked a little about this before, but I knew Chris Benoit a bit. I'm from Fayette County, GA, which is where Benoit settled with Nancy. I had a few dozen interactions with him, and knew Daniel and Nancy fairly well. Chris was always friendly, if a bit standoffish. I knew to steer clear if it was just Daniel and he, as he cherished that time. There is an Italian restaurant in PTC that is to Olive Garden what the fast food restaurant in COMING TO AMERICA is to McDonalds, and my family and I would always see Chris w Nancy and/or Daniel there on sundays. We'd nod. I'd see him at the gym a lot. I never knew what a maniac the guy really was until one time when he was working on the bench press and he grabbed me and my workout partner by the collars and stuck each of us on one side of the bar. Never said a word. Just grunted. When he'd repped whatever insane amount was on that bar 6-8 times, he racked it, got up and shook each of our hands. Never said a word. I remember in the weeks leading up to the 2004 Royal Rumble, having an inkling he might win because the guy was doing 80 minutes at a clip on the treadmill at a pace between jogging and sprinting. Chris Benoit was always a terrifyingly intense human being. It doesn't take much for me to imagine that the repeated concussions turned a human being that was already maybe a little menacing into what he became.

Was it the Italian Oven next to the Publix?

Yup.

So will this fail horribly? Even with almost thirty years worth of matches, can one area sustain an online channel for very long?

The National Wrestling Alliance issued the following press release to Prowrestling.net.

The National Wrestling Alliance has announced its latest and most ambitious project to date: "NWA Classics 24/7!" And it is scheduled to be launched on July 4!

"What's more American than hot dogs - apple pie - and the National Wrestling Alliance?" asked NWA President R. Bruce Tharpe. "This is a project that we are extremely excited about. It's something we have been investing in and working on for over five years. We believe that once it is launched, 'NWA Classics 24/7' will be very well received."

The vintage collection of wrestling videos is from the personal library of legendary Houston Wrestling Promoter Paul Boesch, and comprises matches from the late 60's to 1986 featuring some of the most legendary wrestlers of all-time. Paul Boesch brought in the very top wrestling talent from around the World, and this collection features them in some of the greatest NWA matches ever seen. Some of the matches being released the first month on "NWA Classics 24/7" include:

-Harley Race vs. Andre the Giant for the NWA World Title
-Butch Reed vs. Magnum TA
-NWA World Title Match - Flair vs. Wahoo McDaniel
-Kevin Von Erich vs. Chris Adams
-Dory and Terry Funk vs. Mil Mascaras and Jose Lothario
-Gino Hernandez vs. Ivan Putski
-Butch Reed vs. Buddy Landell in a "Shoeshine Match"
-Ivan Putski vs. Abdullah
-Brad Armstrong vs. One Man Gang
-NWA World Title Match - Ric Flair vs. Terry Taylor
-NWA World Title Match - Ric Flair vs. Butch Reed
-Nick Bockwinkel vs. Bruiser Brody
-$20,000 Two-Ring Battle Royal
-Plus, Early Shawn Michaels footage, Junkyard Dog, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Hacksaw Duggan, The Rock n' Roll Express, and more

Classic Houston matches are great and all, but I can't shake the feeling that anyone who wants to watch those has seen them through various channels anyway? wouldn't it be something if they put up some old Wildside or TNA matches and showcased guys who eventually became "modern"stars to a degree too?

Or fuck it, just give us Mike Rapada week, whatever, im not buying it anyway

Wrestling Classics board is losing their shit also since it looks like they are going to be stretching the image on the original Houston footage to 16:9 widescreen instead of preserving the original aspect ratio, so NWA Classics has already managed to alienate a portion of the crowd most likely to actually support it otherwise.

Classic Houston matches are great and all, but I can't shake the feeling that anyone who wants to watch those has seen them through various channels anyway? wouldn't it be something if they put up some old Wildside or TNA matches and showcased guys who eventually became "modern"stars to a degree too?

Or fuck it, just give us Mike Rapada week, whatever, im not buying it anyway

Due to the nature of the libraries, some of this stuff has been seen and some hasn't. Harley vs Andre for instance, no one's seen as far as i know.

Oh alright, I wasn't aware of that. That should be cool to see then. Still seems like a steep price point for how much content there actually is, though. I guess I've been spoiled by the Network.

On a totally unrelated note:

B1HW3dF.png

Uh, no, no I didn't

• Like 5

There are rumblings on the internet today that WWE has signed Shane Haste & Mikey Nicholls.

That would be a great addition to NXT.

Didn't Haste just wreck his ACL this past week?

I don't know, but I knew they were at the try-outs a few weeks ago and apparently made an impression.