DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

It's always been amusing to me that going down the list of main event babyfaces since 1984 that Bret Hart is probably the only one who wasn't a dickhead or asshole on television.

I'd say he was quite the dick. I mean, isnt the whole "best there is" deal him being an arrogant smug bastard?

It's always been amusing to me that going down the list of main event babyfaces since 1984 that Bret Hart is probably the only one who wasn't a dickhead or asshole on television.

I'd say he was quite the dick. I mean, isnt the whole "best there is" deal him being an arrogant smug bastard?

In the immortal words of Kid Rock, it ain't bragging if you back it up.

• Like 1

There was a picture of Bret in this month's thread of when he went on his awesome rant about getting screwed (the whole aftermath following the cage match with Sid). I can't remember now. What was the first really TV-14 kind of moment that started ushering in the Attitude Era? Was it something with Dustin? I remember Lawler calling him the f-word.

IIRC, Lawler didn't call him the f-word.   He said something "Aren't you....queer?" then Dustin said "NO" to thunderous applause.  Bad times.

It was both, two different promos.

The one you mention, Dec 1996

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmxxqi_goldust-answers-the-question-raw-12-16-96_sport

Then the calling him the f-word promo, June 1997

There was a picture of Bret in this month's thread of when he went on his awesome rant about getting screwed (the whole aftermath following the cage match with Sid). I can't remember now. What was the first really TV-14 kind of moment that started ushering in the Attitude Era? Was it something with Dustin? I remember Lawler calling him the f-word.

IIRC, Lawler didn't call him the f-word.   He said something "Aren't you....queer?" then Dustin said "NO" to thunderous applause.  Bad times.

It was both, two different promos.

The one you mention, Dec 1996

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmxxqi_goldust-answers-the-question-raw-12-16-96_sport

Then the calling him the f-word promo, June 1997

WOW.  Don't think I'd ever seen that before.

The Pillman-Austin gun angle happened before almost anything mentioned in regards to what the birthplace of the Attitude Era was.

The "Alberto Del Rio would have been totally fine and gotten over if they had just let him keep his cool cars" talking point is still the weirdest one I've seen on DVDVR.

Maybe I'm biased because of the memory of actually ordering the PPV, which were very few and far between, but I'd say Royal Rumble 96 kinda pushed the envelope to attitude. Diesel pulling the ref out and causing Taker the title and then flipping him off right on camera. Then Shawn Michaels post rumble match striptease.... I know it might sound funny/weird but even as a kid I thought it was inappropriate.

For me, the Attitude era started when everyone started cussing and Austin broke Pillman's ankle - that seemed to be a line in the sand moment and an angle I really wasn't used to as a wrestling fan

There is definitely a "beta" version of the Attitude era in late 95-early 96 starting with the Diesel "tweener" speech.  RAW started having Sunny show up in provocative clothes giving the "viewer discretion advised" speech at the beginning, there was a Razor Ramon-Goldust backstage fight where Michael Hayes clearly says "oh shit" accidentally on purpose, and they showed the Bret Hart-British Bulldog IYH bloodbath uncensored when blood was pretty much banned on TV.

I just made a post about that terrible Goldust promo stuff from '96-'97 in another thread...that Lawler promo is fucking awful. Even as a teenager with a much less refined sense of how to act, it seemed pretty bad to put on the air. 

I had another random question for everyone to ponder: What is the best WCW match ever? My vote is for Vader/Sting King of Cable at Starrcade '92. 

Yeah, I meant post-'88 when it actually became branded as WCW. 

I think War Games '92 and '94 are both in contention as well as Eddy/Rey at Havoc '97 and Steamboat/Rude Iron Man at Beach Blast '93. Those would probably be my top five matches from the company. 

I just made a post about that terrible Goldust promo stuff from '96-'97 in another thread...that Lawler promo is fucking awful. Even as a teenager with a much less refined sense of how to act, it seemed pretty bad to put on the air.

I had another random question for everyone to ponder: What is the best WCW match ever? My vote is for Vader/Sting King of Cable at Starrcade '92.

Fuck Jerry Lawler.

• Like 1

WWE is putting the Network to good use, as Paul Heyman will be LIVE on the Network tonight to talk about the NBC/Brian Williams "scandal".

I always love it when WWE tries to shoehorn themselves into mainstream stuff like this. Vince is so desperate to be a part of that circle that it's kind of pathetic.

• Like 1