DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I think NXT Arrival is probably as good a spot as any.  It's probably the beginning of the modern boom period of NXT.  There's older stuff that's good too, but I just caught up with that looking through Best Of lists and cherry picking what i thought I'd like to see.

Arrival being the one from Feb 2014, with Bo Dallas defending against Neville? The one I watched was building up to that. Trips came out at the end and made the title bout a ladder match.

If someone wanted to start watching NXT, what's a good place to start? Like how far back should you go? I watched the oldest episode on the Network which had Adrian Neville vs Corey Graves and his ridiculous skinny jeans as the main event. It was alright, but the crowd wasn't that into it. Also, how do you have a guy called Aiden English, and a guy called Adrian who is English on the same show? That would be like Sha Samuels feuding with Samuel Shaw.

Can't go wrong with watching everything on the network, but honestly, if you want the GREAT NXT you're used to today, start with R-Evolution.

Only 4 episodes so far (one from 11.85 and three from '86), but apparently they've started uploading some NWA World Championship Wrestling shows.

There goes my evening...

Tell me more about these NWA episodes you speak of...

Eh, you're probably asking a lot there.  Most likely they're just loading up the Techwood Drive shows that they already did for 24/7.  I would guess anything post-89 would appear in a separate section as WCW Saturday Night.

I'm going to pretend this is their mea culpa for Survivor Series.

• Like 1

This is so great.  Only part way through the first show up and already they spent three solid segments building up how impossible it is for Dusty to come back from a broken ankle and how there's no way he can do it ON NOVEMBER 3rd in ATLANTA!!!!!  And the best part was he wasn't there for any of this.  Just the rumor that he was going to wrestle at all anywhere was enough to talk about.  And it wasn't announced that he would be suddenly wrestling Flair that night.  Just that "We heard he plans on wrestling professionally on Nov. 3rd...well maybe Arn and Ole will show up to check it out..."  Flair tells us that Kieth Byars couldn't come back from a broken foot and Football is NOTHING COMPARED TO PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING!!!!  And their actual Starrcade match isn't even a thing yet.  This is just the setup to the setup to the setup of that and it seems like the most intense thing in the world.

Instead of: hit his music out of nowhere and have him run in as a surprise totally healthy with no buildup at the end of a show to beat someone up and then start the next show with a 20 minute promo...

And then the Bob Geigel PRESIDENT OF THE NWA refusing to sanction an I quit match between Magnum TA and Tully because "The rules are too liberal and it's just too dangerous and I can't let it happen..."

Instead of: I WANT HELL IN A CELL TLC IN A DEATH CHAMBER UNFORGVING LADDER CHAIR!!!! and that is immediately on the card because one guy said so and there's only two weeks until the ppv anyway....

And now an orthopedic surgeon is being interviewed in studio to tell us that it is reasonable that Dusty Rhodes can try to make it through a match but that there is no way he can handle someone like Fliar...and NOW HE"S DEMONSTRATING HOW THE CAST WORKS!!!!!  IT looks like a big dayglo milkshake cup...and now they are talking about the special boots he'll have to wear!!!

$5000 arm wrestling challenge!!! Superstar Billy Graham vs. Abdullah...Abdullah is trying to injure the arm because $5000 ARM WRESTLING CHALLENGE!!!!

Right now we can't even get someone to work a body part just to win a match let alone to gain an advantage in a $5000 ARM WRESTLING CHALLENGE!!!!!

A kid is shouting at Abdullah that "You can't wrestle!"  and he's right, you know, but what the kid doesn't realize is that there's $5000 on the line and wrestling got shit to do with it!!!!  Barbarian interferes and they don't beat down Billy just to beat him down...they attack his fucking ARM WRESTLING ARM with flying headbutts and a walking stick.

There are now three future matches that I am heavily invested in.  THREE!!!!  And one of them is an arm wrestling match and one of them is just Dusty maybe showing up at an arena somewhere.

Jimmy and Rhonda WIlson of Denver CO are celebrating their 52nd wedding anniversary.  Let's all hope that they just had a happy 82nd! That may be a bit optimistic, but goddammit I'm in a good mood right now and watching Pistol Pez Whatley execute a beautiful tilt a whirl salto thingy does not change that.  This is a long and nice match that as far as I can tell doesn't even have a feud/story attached to it and the crowd is into the match continuously, not just oohing and ahhing for a few big moves.  That helps so much.  Pistol Pez's finisher is a headbutt he hits like a flying crossbody, but instead of aiming his body at the other guy's body he aims his head at the other guy's head like he's a fucking lawn jart and it is amazing.

Why can't this show be three hours?  The Rock & Roll Express were the least interesting things on this show.

Sadly, it all falls apart when Magnum TA sexually assaults Baby Doll as a babyface tactic...but before that ruins everything JUIMMY FUCKING VALIANT IS MAIN EVENTING THIS FUCKING SHOW.  JIMMY VALIANT IS MAKING OUT WITH RON GARVIN IN DRAG!!!  WHO AMONG YOU WOULD NOT PUT ON A WIG AND CAPRIS FOR A CHANCE TO MAKE OUT WITH IMMY VALIANT!!!!

The closing angle of this show is Jimmy Valiant screaming "SEND A LETTER TO THE BOOGIE MAN SEND A LETTER TO THE FBI SEND A LETTER TO SANTA CLAUS I"M IN LOOOOOVE WITH THE LADY!!!! PLEEaSE LADY BRING YOSELF HOME TO THE BOOGIE WOOGIE MAN"

Just to be clear, the three most powerful wings of government enforcement in Jimmy Valiant's world are

1) The Boogie Man

2) The FBI

3) Santa Claus

and then he kissed Tony Schiavone.  Why is that not the Monday night lead in to an episode of Modern Family?  What could be better???

• Like 1

Hey, shows with squash matches and interviews! If it weren't for NXT, I'd totally have missed those completely. Nothing like a good show full of squashes and interviews sometimes. 

Plus, any show that features a version of the Midnights with Bobby Eaton in it is an automatic A-plus. 

Sadly, it all falls apart when Magnum TA sexually assaults Baby Doll as a babyface tactic

I enjoy Jim Crockett's enthusiasm and all, but it wasn't very helpful that he just stood there excitedly yelling "SHE LIKES IT" during that whole thing. 

Tully's too sleazy to ever be the accidental face in that situation, though. It just came off like a date rapist and a jock who likes to claim that "she was asking for it" were fighting for the right to violate a woman's human rights. 

But everything worked out because Jimmy Valiant showed us a world with no walls and no hangups and only the consensual love of every living person for every other living person.  He's like a kindly amoeba that can create life by smearing himself against any other kind of organism that might be floating around.

• Like 2

Sadly, it all falls apart when Magnum TA sexually assaults Baby Doll as a babyface tactic

I enjoy Jim Crockett's enthusiasm and all, but it wasn't very helpful that he just stood there excitedly yelling "SHE LIKES IT" during that whole thing. 

Tully's too sleazy to ever be the accidental face in that situation, though. It just came off like a date rapist and a jock who likes to claim that "she was asking for it" were fighting for the right to violate a woman's human rights. 

I've been binge watching these all day as these were the shows I grew up on. David Crockett REALLY liked Billy Jack Haynes and the Rock & Roll Express. I mean, sometimes he makes 1995-96 Vince look like he only has a mild interest in Shawn Michaels.

It's also amazing to see the crowds cheering for the Horsemen. I was watching an Arn squash match and there's a section of women chanting, "BREAK IT! BREAK IT! BREAK IT" as Arn is putting an arm wringer on the jobber. These were the types of chicks you'd expect to see going nuts for the R&R but they were rooting for Arn Anderson to break this ham and egger's arm.