DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I really loved Breeze/Itami. It felt different than other 2/3 falls structures. I liked that Itami won the first fall but it was a struggle to get there. It wasn't a quick flash-pin. It took some work. I loved that Breeze than stole with some cheapshot nonsense. Great heeling right there. Breeze did some great impact showing of the kicks. I was assuming some people would have a problem with it because it was Michaels-esque and different than how more strike-based promotions show selling. But I think it was great because Breeze's gimmick is that he's a bit of a drama queen. The third fall had some very good back-and-forth stuff. I know people tired on the Malenko/Guerrero type stuff long ago, but I love it at the end of matches. My issue with that stuff is when it starts -- we know the flash pin isn't coming that quickly, so it feels like an exhibition and not a competition. But in the third fall, it was two cagey wrestlers really trying to catch the other with something they weren't expecting. And then Breeze was the first of the two to hit his finisher a second time -- both guys figured a roll-up wouldn't work and tried to go back to the old well --and got the pin. Great storytelling.

I like Itami a lot more than Balor. His fired up fighting spirit thing was really awesome. You can see how everyone alive would want to rip his whole act off.

The first two falls of that match felt pointless. They were so quick that they felt rushed more than organic and the flash Beauty Shot didn't work for me for the second fall (though I do appreciate Corey Graves trying to get over that Breeze got the second fall by playing possum). It might as well have just been a straight one fall match with the same ending. It would have come off much better. As it was, it was an okay match, but those two have had better.

Graves continues to be great, by the way. First, it was weird how he and Tom Phillips switched roles talking about Bayley and Emma during that match, but Graves's defense of Bayley made sense since he always defends people who are showing aggressive behavior in the ring. You can see why Graves would support both Bayley and Kevin Owens if you listen to his commentary even though at first hearing, it seems inconsistent.

Plus, during Breeze/Itami at the beginning, Graves goes on this great rant about why Breeze doesn't like Itami and how Itami jumped Breeze in the line for the NXT Championship, there was enmity because Breeze thinks he's just as good, etc., etc., and Graves gets more wound up as he goes along. He finishes explaining this serious beef Breeze has with Itami, pauses, and then adds as an afterthought, "Also, Breeze thinks his hair looks stupid." It's way funnier if you listen to Graves say it, but it really had me going. 

So can I at least mention N-Bex-T in reference to Becky when applicable? (i.e. when she wins the title from Sasha and calls herself N-Bex-T Women's Champion)

10.jpg

• Like 6

With more guys getting pushes and the roster getting deeper, they really need to introduce a TV title or some other type of midcard belt.  I know they've only got an hour of tv a week but if they're going to do Takeover once a month now they could really use some other title for guys to vie for.

With more guys getting pushes and the roster getting deeper, they really need to introduce a TV title or some other type of midcard belt.  I know they've only got an hour of tv a week but if they're going to do Takeover once a month now they could really use some other title for guys to vie for.

I thought they corrected that to quarterly?

I don't want the tag champs to ever develop personalities, or for me to ever remember their names. I just want their gimmick to Ann from Arrested Development that is also great at wrestling.

They barely have a face you couldn't pick them out of a lineup of two.

Sign me up for an NXT tv title. That's what the Breeze/Itami feud should've been based on.

I don't want the tag champs to ever develop personalities, or for me to ever remember their names. I just want their gimmick to Ann from Arrested Development that is also great at wrestling.

They barely have a face you couldn't pick them out of a lineup of two.

Sign me up for an NXT tv title. That's what the Breeze/Itami feud should've been based on.

Tyler Breeze holding a title that he blings out entirely himself would be awesome.

• Like 1

Jason Jordan has a lot of "can't coach" attributes, but he needs a lot of work. But if he ever gets the in-ring stuff figured out, he'll be something. He's the goods, but he's also a project.

Jason Jordan has a lot of "can't coach" attributes, but he needs a lot of work. But if he ever gets the in-ring stuff figured out, he'll be something. He's the goods, but he's also a project.

Yeah, he's a long-term project, but it's easy to see what they see in him. I think they just have to be careful not to give him too much of Angle's shtick early on. The fans will bury that in a hurry.

I wonder if the Full Sail crowd aren't a bit spoiled as far as recent debuts. Itami, Bálor, Owens, Kalisto, etc were all relatively experienced when they started out in NXT. Does that make it harder for someone green like Jordan to get a reaction?

The Fight Club/amateur stable they were running on house shows with Jordan, Chad Gable, and...that other dude might help. Pro "amateur" gimmicks get to be methodical and focus on fundamentals and get praised for their "raw tools," and any awkwardness becomes part of the gimmick.