DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

"Corey Graves is the fucking shits" - comment from Meltzer on observer radio

I haven't seen last night's show but based on the last couple shows he has really downgraded as an announcer. Not that he was that great to begin with.   It is clear that he is taken the Alex Riley role of the heel announcer who will just say stupid stuff because that is what Michael Cole did in 2010

• Like 1

I'm not gonna lie, I actually got a little bit teary-eyed at the end of this episode and that doesn't happen a lot.

Everyone should watch those last 15 minutes of this week's episode. Kudos, WWE.

• Like 1

Were any of the matches this week MOTYC level good, or were they just run-of-the-mill NXT good?

I'm debating whether or not to watch the show outside of the Itami feature.

I'd say it's worth watching the show.  All matches were really solid and there's a few some footage of NXT Wrestlemania house show/weekend thrown in. The last match segues perfectly into the Itami mini-doc.

Were any of the matches this week MOTYC level good, or were they just run-of-the-mill NXT good?

I'm debating whether or not to watch the show outside of the Itami feature.

Itami-Neville was the best of the three, Balor-Breeze the worst, but all of them were, while not at MOTYC-level, really quite good, certainly in that next echelon below the classics.

Really, unless you're deciding whether to pick up your kids from the stabby part of town or leave them there, it's worth your time.

• Like 1

I haven't seen last night's show but based on the last couple shows he has really downgraded as an announcer. Not that he was that great to begin with. It is clear that he is taken the Alex Riley role of the heel announcer who will just say stupid stuff because that is what Michael Cole did in 2010

Meltzer is dead wrong.

• Like 5

Not sure if it is weird that they treating this like this show is way beyond his scope in his career.  I mean granted that he never wrestled in front of 65 to 70 thousand but I would think he worked some 30,000 - 40,000 shows in Japan before.   Hell as a main eventer even.  But I guess we are supposed to act like KENTA never existed 

I haven't seen last night's show but based on the last couple shows he has really downgraded as an announcer. Not that he was that great to begin with. It is clear that he is taken the Alex Riley role of the heel announcer who will just say stupid stuff because that is what Michael Cole did in 2010

Meltzer is dead wrong.

Yeah, what Meltzer likes about wrestling and what I like about wrestling are diametrically opposed at this point, I suppose. I find him to be way off base once again. Graves is excellent. 

• Like 3

Not sure if it is weird that they treating this like this show is way beyond his scope in his career.  I mean granted that he never wrestled in front of 65 to 70 thousand but I would think he worked some 30,000 - 40,000 shows in Japan before.   Hell as a main eventer even.  But I guess we are supposed to act like KENTA never existed 

How many Japanese wrestlers have been on Wrestlemania, 10 at the most maybe?  It's a big accomplishment. 

• Like 1

Itami wrestled in front of what is believed to be a legit 62,000 at Destiny 2005 for NOAH, when he defeated Kanemaru to become the new junior ace. There's been 12 WrestleManias with an attendance greater than that, including the last nine.

I don't think Graves is excellent so much as that he's really putting all he can into it knowing it's his best shot to stay in the business. He's a guy with a strong work ethic. I'd much rather a guy work harder to get better and have it show. That makes him marginally better than a lot of the other guys, and it might become his calling card.

Now Byron Saxton on the other hand...

• Like 1

This weeks NXT was a great episode the matches were awesome. the clips of the San Jose State show make me wish they would release the show full on the Network. The last 15 minutes with the Hideo video package was the best part. He is a star in the making.

How many Japanese wrestlers have been on Wrestlemania, 10 at the most maybe?  It's a big accomplishment. 

Plus, the entire last part of NXT was dedicated to the road from KENTA to Itami at Mania. Who is acting like KENTA doesn't exist? What else do you need beyond a ten minute video package developing the character of KENTA, the Japanese superstar who left his high spot in Japan to take a chance in another country, starting over on the card (literally his words) under a new moniker and making his Mania debut within 6 months? They even cap it with a montage of people saying moves that he invented and needs to take back. 

Our boy Hideo is being treated as a huge deal.

I think it's not so much they are acting like KENTA didn't exist, they just are when it's convenient.  Like mentioned before, he's worked in front of 50,000 plus before in the Tokyo Dome.  No one in WWE will ever admit it, but that's still fucking huge.  Granted, Wrestlemania is a much bigger deal than working Kanemaru or Kendo Kashin, but the amount of people shouldn't really be what rattles him like they are playing it.

I'm pretty sure Meltzer doesn't even watch wrestling. Like someone just tells him an opinion and he recites that.

Graves hasn't been doing announcing all that long. It's just a few weeks. He's really good even without that learning curve. Didn't he say something about Itami not being able to be as stiff as he is in Japan the same week he and Victor from The Ascension potatoed the hell out of each other?

Granted, Wrestlemania is a much bigger deal than working Kanemaru or Kendo Kashin

3 minutes in a battle royal is a bigger deal than a 20 minute match for the GHC Jr championship? That said, whatever is "bigger" doesn't mean what we saw wasn't genuine. Kenta'd been working in front of NOAH crowds for years. Maybe a mostly-American Mania crowd in a football stadium seems like a whole other world for him.