DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

What I find so amusing about Punk is that his gimmick was he was a wrestler who didn't want to be a  celebrity. I'll admit, in a weird way, it was endearing.

Since leaving, he hasn't exactly bought a place in the woods where he could have his peace and quiet.

Now he pops up on random pop-culture podcasts and tv shows. He shows up on stage as a standin backup singer for his favorite bands. He travels around the country, sitting in the front row at sporting events.

Today, he is a celebrity who doesn't want to be a wrestler.  

I agree with everything Burrito said.  I even met Punk once in Jersey when I used to help George Mayfield sell tapes at shows.  While he has an intense personality, I thought he was an okay guy.  But one word turned me off from Punk:  SNICKELFRITZ. 

At that moment, I realized what a smarmy d-bag he had the potential to be. If he came back on a part time deal, that would make him one of the biggest hypocrites in rasslin' in quite some time.

Fuck that guy. He doesn't bother to the point where he makes me angry or anything, but my wrestling life will be unchanged if he doesn't return.

Based on what, though? In his last few months of not giving a shit, sure, his ring work was pretty much just going through the motions. You could probably put a lot more people ahead of that run, (Stardust, Rusev, Bray, the Usos, Ziggler, Swagger, etc.) Meanwhile, from before that, there was the Cena series, (still some of the best recent-era WWE main event matches IMO), the Bryan matches, Taker, Lesnar, and Rock's best matches since his return.

A motivated, 100% healthy Punk can be pretty damn good.

• Like 1

Punk was one of if not the best big match worker in the company even in his don't give a shit 2013. WWE doesn't need any more guys that can have 3 star tv matches that are forgotten in two weeks. They need some guys who can talk and make people give a shit about what's gong on, and then deliver in the big match.

• Like 2

Watching one of the episode of Monday Night Wars on the Network.

Honestly, seeing Diesel with that shit grinning smile makes me wonder why so many people don't look genuinely happy to be doing what they are doing. I get having a character and being completely decided to playing the part, but Kevin Nash's smile made it apparent that he really doesn't fucking care what you think, he's happy to be there. BNB is also one of the few guys that seem so goddamn happy to be there. Then there's Ryback, but he probably gets happy when he sees extra cheese in the fridge.

idk. Just popped out how many wrestlers can't hide that they are miserable. Many people have noted what a miserable fuck Nash was..

Also, Scotty was so dreamy. Easily one of the best looks for a wrestler ever..

I was reading an interview that Jericho did recently and it really stands out how big of a douche Punk is. 

(From Jericho's interview with Alvarez)

"We used to talk quite often and not really about wrestling stuff. ... We always had great chemistry and he's one of my favorite guys to work with. And then when he left the WWE he never talked to me again. I never heard one peep or squeak or anything from him again. I reached out to him a couple times just about, you know, 'hey, I'm watching The Clash from '78' or whatever and nothing. That's his decision, and it's kind of a drag. I understand professionally not wanting to be open but kind of leaving your friends behind?"

It seems that Punk is handling this whole thing in the worst way imaginable. 

When will everything Punk does stop being reported on. I personally am glad he left. His best WWE stuff was his short program with Hardcore Holly in ECW.

Meanwhile, from before that, there was the Cena series, (still some of the best recent-era WWE main event matches IMO), the Bryan matches, Taker, Lesnar, and Rock's best matches since his return.

I think the fact that anyone is saying Punk-Lesnar is anywhere close to as good as Cena-Lesnar I (let alone better) is part of the reason Punk gets a lot of hate around here.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, from before that, there was the Cena series, (still some of the best recent-era WWE main event matches IMO), the Bryan matches, Taker, Lesnar, and Rock's best matches since his return.

I think the fact that anyone is saying Punk-Lesnar is anywhere close to as good as Cena-Lesnar I (let alone better) is part of the reason Punk gets a lot of hate around here.

Which Cena-Lesnar match is Cena-Lesnar 1?

I think comparing the CM Punk match with the Cena match at Extreme Rules 2012 and Summerslam 2014 is a bit unfair. The Cena matches are 15 minute "spectacles", qualitatively different from the usual WWE style match. Punk worked a more typical WWE main-event style match, and probably did a better job of that than HHH's Lesnar matches. It's apples and oranges.

I was reading an interview that Jericho did recently and it really stands out how big of a douche Punk is.

(From Jericho's interview with Alvarez)

"We used to talk quite often and not really about wrestling stuff. ... We always had great chemistry and he's one of my favorite guys to work with. And then when he left the WWE he never talked to me again. I never heard one peep or squeak or anything from him again. I reached out to him a couple times just about, you know, 'hey, I'm watching The Clash from '78' or whatever and nothing. That's his decision, and it's kind of a drag. I understand professionally not wanting to be open but kind of leaving your friends behind?"

It seems that Punk is handling this whole thing in the worst way imaginable.

When will everything Punk does stop being reported on. I personally am glad he left. His best WWE stuff was his short program with Hardcore Holly in ECW.

Gimmick post of the year.

• Like 2

Punk-Lesnar was better than any of the Triple H-Lesnar matches although their cage match was pretty solid.

With that said, Triple H-Bryan @ WMXXX is better than any Punk-Bryan match in WWE. I think it speaks volumes that Bryan has had dozens of matches with a variety of opponents that were all better than his Punk series.

Overrated is a fair statement.

Punk lost me when he shit up the wrestling ring against The Shield. Literally.

When was this? I'm intrigued enough to want to take a gander at Punk fecal-freakin' in the ring w/ the Shield boys.