DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Well, he was one of the first of the super indy fed internet era guys to make it big but the "omg they're holding Punk back!" discussions are so tough to take. Maybe they were valid at one point in time but after you've main evented PPVs and held world titles and been a champion for over a year...it's time to let it go..

I'd blame Punk's fans for all of that if he didn't continue to complain and the only change he really wanted to see was Cena out and himself placed in that role.

• Like 1

Not for anything, but using "lots of four-star matches per Meltzer" does nothing as an argument for me. I'm pretty sure I have quite divergent preferences about what I like to see in wrestling compared to Meltzer, the best examples being his opinion of lots of WWF '80s wrestlers and their workrates, and his deep love of current-day NJPW, which I like quite a bit, but not nearly as much as he does. 

I do agree that Punk was the first of those early '00s indy darlings to get over, but I'm not sure that he's a prototype of anything in particular. The indy wrestlers that get over are going to be the ones that can do it working WWE style. It would be fair to give Punk credit for being able to adapt and work that style in a way that got him over, though. 

• Like 1

I can't recall another time that a wrestler retiring spawned such animosity... The way some of you go on you'd think that Punk crept into your bed at night and did unspeakable things to you while chortling like Freddy Krueger. I for one would be delighted to see him come back. A motivated C.M. Punk is a joy to watch and entertaining as all get out on the stick. Even just going through the motions, he's still pretty damn watchable. I don't care if he's a jerk in real life, I'm only concerned with what he does as a wrestler. I'm a fan but that doesn't mean he owes me a damn thing. Every time that I've paid to watch him, he's delivered the goods which is more than I can say for all but a handful of wrestlers. If he chooses to come back, great, I'll look forward to some excellent matches; if he doesn't, no big deal. I'm not going to sit around all butthurt because he retired. None of us know the true story as to what he was promised or not, I will say that VKM has a track record of saying one thing and then doing another as the mood strikes him, which seems an excellent reason to me to walk away from an undesirable situation if you are an independent contractor*.

*If you are contracted under the auspices of doing one thing and then the company asks you to do something else, you're completely justified in walking away.

• Like 7

It seems that the real animosity here isn't Punk fans being mad at Punk for retiring, but more animosity for Punk fans and Punk detractors depending on from what viewpoint the poster is coming. 

• Like 3

I like Punk, but the narrative of him being a victim and being held down is insane to me. Title matches at Mania and facing Taker is a really good spot. Also the dolts that go to shows and chant CM Punk drive me crazy. He chose to quit, he isn't a victim and there was no injustice.

• Like 7

Yeah - I don't think anyone is mad at Punk. If he wants to retire so be it. I think the way he handed it or continues to handle it is not the way I would do it but nobody is arguing that he's a nice guy.

The Punk fans argument and Punk as an in-ring performer is a separate issue and something we'll never agree on. It's like with Triple H. Nobody will ever agree on where he stood as an in-ring performer and nobody will ever agree on the issues of who was held back or who wasn't held back in 2003, etc..

Punk and Triple H are the Man of Steel and Iron Man 3's of the wrestling board.

The whole "Punk fans" thing kinda mystifies me, because I don't see anyone saying he was GOAT, but I don't really talk wrestling much outside of a few friends and here, so maybe I'm just not somewhere that I can see it.

I will agree that people who chant "CM Punk" during AJ's matches are d-bags, though.

WWE's already responded to BJH's ridiculous lawsuit.

Billy Jack Haynes performed for WWE from 1986-1988.  His filed lawsuit alleges that WWE concealed medical information and evidence on concussions during that time, which is impossible since the condition now called chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) had not even been discovered.  WWE was well ahead of sports organizations in implementing concussion management procedures and policies as a precautionary measure as the science and research on this issue emerged.  Current WWE procedures include ImPACT testing for brain function, annual educational seminars and the strict prohibition of deliberate and direct shots to the head.  Additionally, WWE has committed significant funding for concussion research conducted by the Sports Legacy Institute (SLI), leaders in concussion research, and WWE Executive Vice President Paul Levesque sits on SLI's Board.

I think fans chanting for CM Punk at shows is a fad for the most part, to me its just a what for fans to shit on the show when it starts to get bad. Im not mad at Punk for leaving because he was obviously burned out and not on a fake Shawn Michaels lose my smile type of power play  move. Im sure the creative direction had added to him leaving like he did but I'm sure he wouldve gotten his way if he'd came back in a enough time for Mania. He was far from being held down in fact I believe the fact that HHH wanting to headline Mania with Punk goes to show how highly he was thought of.

There's an interesting tag team match idea. One man on two different teams, who he attacks depends on who tags him first. Let's say we get:

Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose vs. Roman Reigns & Dean Ambrose. Rollins tags in Ambrose, he beats on Reigns, tags Rollins back in, Reigns tags in Ambrose and then Ambrose attacks Rollins. 

It's something Russo would come up with at least. 

• Like 1