DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Come on, if that was Earthquake in that photoset, you would be all over it.

Of course. Sometimes the man makes the photoshoot and sometimes you're Bull Dempsey trying to fix your totaled Ford Taurus, realizing you can't just touch a hood of a car and make things work, and then to get your frustrations out you push down onto some wooden boards that were hammered together.

• Like 2

So, one of the few English guys on the rosters gets the best reaction when they're in England, and should be pushed to the moon.

Seems legit.

Considering he was able to get such an awful gimmick in BNB over as hot as it was before injury, then yes.

Jeez, you wanna talk about tag teams? Barrett and Sheamus, man. I know I preach it all the time, and everyone's probably sick of hearing it, but I don't think there are any two guys out there who would mesh with each other like that. Cesaro would be fantastic with or against those guys, too.

• Like 1

Thinking about commentary:

One of the reasons that I really enjoy Attitude Era Jim Ross on PBP is that he really seems like the One Sane Man in a total madhouse full of pervs and sociopaths. His calls really reflected that role. I think my favorite call of his is actually when he gives this really sad evaluation of Mankind being used as a puppet for Vince McMahon at Survivor Series '98. 

Watching Nitro, I realized that even considering Bobby Heenan not caring for most of his time in WCW, he really would not have fit into the Attitude Era as a color commentator anyway. I also thought that Vince McMahon calling Nitro would have been incredibly fun in a somewhat ridiculous way; his voice could get that tinge of disgust with a heel's actions that Bischoff just could not possibly match, and I would have loved to hear him call Woman and then Elizabeth turning on Macho and Hogan in his boisterous way. 

My question is what commentators or PBP men do you think would have been fun to listen to in another era or company? I feel like Lance Russell could have done a really good understated version of what Jim Ross did in Attitude Era WWF where he is the One Sane Man who is just disgusted at the ridiculous behavior that wrestlers engaged in. 

I also secretly enjoy David Crockett on commentary, and I think his enthusiasm and seemingly-genuine shows of disbelief or humor would be really fun and refreshing in current-era WWE where all the laughter or shock seems quite fake. I know people will hate that idea, but he's one of the most surprisingly pleasurable things about watching all of the Worldwides from '88 and '89 that I did a year-plus ago.

• Like 1

I miss CM Punk because he had awesome entrance music and I think that's all that needs to be said.

I miss him coming out to punk music.

Not hating on Living Colour. Just saying.

I guess the Bouncing Souls can pass as punk music.

I guess.

• Like 3

I saw the Bouncing Souls roughly 1000000000000 times in my high school/college years. I grew out of them when I moved on to my indie phase and never came back. That said, their Gold Record is absolutely amazing. It's not like "East Coast Fuck You" -- they listened to a lot of Kinks and stuff like that.

I don't know if they like wrestling or not. Their contemporaries Weston were huge rasslin' geeks. Their ex-guitarist used to post here on occasion way back in the day. True Weston tale: They were on the bill with all these hardcore bands I thought were pretty crummy, led by H20. The lead singer Toby came out clad in a Santa Clause outfit (the show was in December). "DID YOU KNOW IT WAS ME OR DID YOU THINK I WAS SANT-Y CLAUSE!" So dumb.

Weston got a huge kick out of this. At their next show, one of the members was dressed like Crow Sting. "DID YOU KNOW IT WAS ME OR DID YOU THINK I WAS STING?" He then did the "OWWWWW" call and they went into "Retarded," the first song off their second album.

Other New Jersey/Pennsylvania punk/wrestling facts: The same dude who posted here was the ref for these wrestling shows they held in abandoned warehouses in Allentown, PA. These were the formative days of Chikara. An early incarnation of the awesome Pissed Jeans were called The Ultimate Warriors. Warrior, naturally, threatened to sue them. (They posted his threat of litigation on their website.) A few of the Pissed Jeans members were also Chikara dudes for a spell. And, of course, Ultramantis Black is now the front-man for a pretty insane band.

Anyways, this is a killer Bouncing Souls song.

• Like 2

Thinking about commentary:

One of the reasons that I really enjoy Attitude Era Jim Ross on PBP is that he really seems like the One Sane Man in a total madhouse full of pervs and sociopaths. His calls really reflected that role. I think my favorite call of his is actually when he gives this really sad evaluation of Mankind being used as a puppet for Vince McMahon at Survivor Series '98. 

Watching Nitro, I realized that even considering Bobby Heenan not caring for most of his time in WCW, he really would not have fit into the Attitude Era as a color commentator anyway. I also thought that Vince McMahon calling Nitro would have been incredibly fun in a somewhat ridiculous way; his voice could get that tinge of disgust with a heel's actions that Bischoff just could not possibly match, and I would have loved to hear him call Woman and then Elizabeth turning on Macho and Hogan in his boisterous way. 

My question is what commentators or PBP men do you think would have been fun to listen to in another era or company? I feel like Lance Russell could have done a really good understated version of what Jim Ross did in Attitude Era WWF where he is the One Sane Man who is just disgusted at the ridiculous behavior that wrestlers engaged in. 

I also secretly enjoy David Crockett on commentary, and I think his enthusiasm and seemingly-genuine shows of disbelief or humor would be really fun and refreshing in current-era WWE where all the laughter or shock seems quite fake. I know people will hate that idea, but he's one of the most surprisingly pleasurable things about watching all of the Worldwides from '88 and '89 that I did a year-plus ago.

Maybe it's because I didn't grow up watching him but I love watching David Crockett. He's so passionate and it's like what would happen if they gave a fan the mic and said "here you go." All the high pitched screams and cheering for Dusty and Magnum, it just worked so well.

• Like 1