DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I can appreciate characters or storylines that aren't necessarily intended for me: My enjoyment of the Bayley character (along with her work) comes to mind. That's a character for young girls. The trick is that the character/storyline needs to be well-executed. 

• Like 1

OK, but my point is that there are things that aren't intended for me as the target audience that I can still enjoy. Take John Cena, who I still enjoy in the ring. I think the complaints about him and his overcoming the odds are not that they happen in and of themselves. Most complaints are about the execution of these stories. Cena overcoming Wade Barrett and Nexus, for example, was criticized because they cut short the Midnight Rider aspect of the storyline, which made things fresh for how Cena would try to overcome Barrett. Cena overcoming the Wyatts was criticized because Cena never really felt threatened; he never even strongly hinted that he might go to new depths to beat Bray. There was no sense that he had to really struggle personally to overcome anything. He didn't even seem all that conflicted by kids turning on his values to follow Bray. 

It was at 700K at Q2, right? I'll predict a domestic net loss of 50K, and ~200K foreign subscribers to bring it up to 850K.

That's about right...vince yelling at some Wall Street analyst is fun. I listened once and he was belligerent.

It was at 700K at Q2, right? I'll predict a domestic net loss of 50K, and ~200K foreign subscribers to bring it up to 850K.

I wonder how they'll count subscribers for Canada since you can only access it through Rogers Communications. Maybe Rogers will just give them the straight sub numbers to pass on, but I wouldn't be shocked if they instead just use the number of Rogers subscribers overall that have the potential to access the network or something that fudges the sub numbers. 

Since we're wading through rumblingz and whether or not they are the devil, let's talk about the first time you were like 'holy shit backstage politics is a thing and I am fascinated!'

For me it was the nWo, as lame as that is. I hadn't watched in a long while and a buddy called me and was like TURN ON NITRO HOGAN IS BAD. I saw him and Razor and Diesel and was like 'this makes no sense dogs and cats are living together' and then had the Kliq explained to me and I would lose my shit every time one of them flashed the Kliq sign on camera on either show. THEY ARE SENDING EACH OTHER MESSAGES. 

I knooow, right? All of a sudden you gave a shit that these guys rode around town together. I didn't watch WCW much at the time. My deal was always knowing that Shawn and Bret hated each other IN REAL LIFE, which meant there was a real life reality and parallel universe where guys get irish whipped. And then I watched ECW and listened to wrestlers talk shit about their former employers and my mind was blown.

Arguments about backstage mechanics via 3rd and 16th hand stories, rumors, and Meltzer gypsy palm reading IS PRO WRESTLING

CROSS THE LIIIIIIINE

also instead of white knight can we say 'dunn justice warrior'

Wasn't "Dunn Justice Warrior" Abyss's indie gimmick?

• Like 1

Since we're wading through rumblingz and whether or not they are the devil, let's talk about the first time you were like 'holy shit backstage politics is a thing and I am fascinated!'

For me it was the nWo, as lame as that is. I hadn't watched in a long while and a buddy called me and was like TURN ON NITRO HOGAN IS BAD. I saw him and Razor and Diesel and was like 'this makes no sense dogs and cats are living together' and then had the Kliq explained to me and I would lose my shit every time one of them flashed the Kliq sign on camera on either show. THEY ARE SENDING EACH OTHER MESSAGES. 

I knooow, right? All of a sudden you gave a shit that these guys rode around town together. I didn't watch WCW much at the time. My deal was always knowing that Shawn and Bret hated each other IN REAL LIFE, which meant there was a real life reality and parallel universe where guys get irish whipped. And then I watched ECW and listened to wrestlers talk shit about their former employers and my mind was blown.

I didn't know much WCW either, other than Nick, the kid that lived in the apartments nearby that my parents didn't like me hanging around, loving it and always yelling WOOO before he'd chop us. 

That was when I was like 12.

But when Pillman showed up in WWF and mentioned that Steve had shaved his blonde locks I remembered Nick always talking about the Hollywood Blondes and I was like WHAT IS HAPPENING ANYMORE. I felt like Captain America. "I understood that reference!"

I know there were RUMORZ that the ever allusive THEY didnt want to push Dolph as a Main Event player because the thought was he was too prone to concussions but its been 18 months since he last got concussed so maybe THEY are pushing him to the top spot again. 

Dolph also had a rep of forgetting spots in matches.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steen helped come up with it, in any event he's probably pleased.

I'm sure he did. His name plus his son's name.

There aren't that many terrible names in WWE these days. Dolph Ziggler is the main one, but he's been around so long under that name that I'm just numb to it and it doesn't seem so bad. I don't care for Sami Zayn. I prefer the El Generico name and character. Then, there's the whole dropping names, but that's another issue. There was nothing wrong with the sound of Antonio Cesaro, Alexander Rusev, or Big E. Langston.

Nice thing about my area's indy scene is that there are several different products and they all work for their intended audiences...that gives me an appreciation for a greater variety of things in wrestling.  There's Ring Of Honor-style bang-bang spot-kateer stuff, there's old-school content, and there's a whole lot in between.  At the end of the day, I'm one fan paying for one ticket with one whiny opinion...if they're drawing fans who are having a good time, then that's what counts.

I don't care for Sami Zayn. I prefer the El Generico name and character.

Perhaps it is just wishful thinking and speculation, but you may get your wish if Zayn loses his title match against Neville at NXT Takeover: Evolution.

Unrelated, they just played the Ultimate Warrior's theme at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City in the bottom of the 9th. The crowd went nuts.