DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

From today's F4Wonline.com update:

1885 - Clarence Whistler beat William Miller in Melbourne in the match generally credited for establishing pro wrestling in Australia.  Whistler than died from the post-match party where he swallowed a champagne glass and it perforated his stomach lining.

How exactly does one go about swallowing a champagne glass?

From today's F4Wonline.com update:

1885 - Clarence Whistler beat William Miller in Melbourne in the match generally credited for establishing pro wrestling in Australia. Whistler than died from the post-match party where he swallowed a champagne glass and it perforated his stomach lining.

How exactly does one go about swallowing a champagne glass?

I'm guessing one starts at the bottom.

• Like 1

I always thought the champagne glass thing was rumor, and that most thought he had died from alcohol poisoning or pneumonia or some combination thereof. 

I also remember reading in a biography of Will Muldoon that Whistler was known to open champagne bottles by biting the top off with the cork still in it, which is manly as fuck.

TIL Shane McMahon didn't just get suplexed through glass at King of the Ring 2001 - it was plexiglass, apparently. Someone ordered the wrong kind of glass, that's why there wasn't pyro used that night (?), in fear the vibrations would shatter the glass.

jesus

TIL Shane McMahon didn't just get suplexed through glass at King of the Ring 2001 - it was plexiglass, apparently. Someone ordered the wrong kind of glass, that's why there wasn't pyro used that night (?), in fear the vibrations would shatter the glass.

jesus

i refuse to believe this as i love that match

Shane McMahon is basically the best backyard wrestler ever but should have really called it quits after the Angle match. I mean, even then, didn't they do a spot where Shane outwrestled Angle on the mat in that match? I mean, come on. It's one thing to present Shane as a lunatic who will take any risk to take down his opponent, it's another to have him out-wrestle an Olympic champion on the mat. Still, cool spot with Blackman at Summerslam.

I always took it as Kurt not taking Shane seriously, and getting caught napping.  I never saw it as him being outwrestled.

I watched this match a few months ago. Angle was totally just toying with Shane, who showed his mettle and got the advantage over Kurt before the bloodbath began.

That match is an absolute sick garbage brawl. I loved it so much.

• Like 1

Went and re-watched that Angle/Shane match. It was better than I remembered, but still had some problems. The opening minutes are good with Angle charging in and schooling Shane on the mat. Shane hard-ways Angle with a wild elbow amidst some otherwise really bad-looking offense. Angle gets him back with a forearm to the mouth later. Shane controlling angle was a little too drawn out for my liking. If they cut this part of the match down and made Shane's offense more weapons-based and in quicker bursts, this could've definitely approached being a great match. The shooting star press took forever to set up and didn't even end up looking that good, but it wasn't the worst case of a bad SSP ruining a Kurt Angle match. The transition to the glass spots was terrible. Minimal lazy brawling up the entrance way, Shane suplexes Angle, both guys lay there for a couple minutes, Angle gets up first and they go straight to the glass. The spots with the glass were certainly sick, practically CZW-ish. I always thought of Shane as a backyard wrestler with a dad who happened to own the biggest wrestling company ever, and he delivers here with the stupid amount of times it takes him to break the glass panes with his body. Not to mention both guys laying around in a pile of broken glass bleeding from damn near every part of their bodies. They certainly took this too far, but it was memorable for what it's worth. The last segment ended up playing out pretty well with Angle carting Shane's limp body back to the ring, a short desperation comeback from Shane, then a decisive finish for Angle with the avalanche Angle Slam.

Good opening, good closing, one memorable spot and a lot of unnecessary crap in the middle.

I always took it as Kurt not taking Shane seriously, and getting caught napping. I never saw it as him being outwrestled.

I watched this match a few months ago. Angle was totally just toying with Shane, who showed his mettle and got the advantage over Kurt before the bloodbath began.

ALSO, Kurt wrestled 2 matches earlier that night (which Shane brilliantly orchestrated), so Shane didn't outwrestle Kurt at 100%. It was actually a great way to show Kurt's fatigue. Loved it.