DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

It still baffles me that a 6'6'' 275 lb guy with a great look, awesome gimmick, good mic skills, and great in ring ability never got a run on top in mid 90's WWF.

Hall always struck me as a "wrong place, wrong time" guy when it came to the world title. He was massively over in the mid-90's and could've carried the strap credibly but Vince was convinced that Diesel was the guy. And when that bombed and it was clearly HBK's title to win, it was decided that Bret should pass it to him. I know it would've robbed us of the awesome Bret/Diesel SS 95 match but how great would an HBK/Razor ladder match for the title at WM12 been?

He would've been a decent champ in early 1998 as well. I guess they didn't want to cut Sting off at the knees so early (not that it ended up mattering anyway) but he would've been a credible guy to beat Sting and hold the title for a bit. Don't know how that would've affected Goldberg though b/c I think the Goldberg win mattered so much b/c of the fact that he beat Hogan. Does it still mean as much if he just goes over Hall?

In retrospect, Goldberg was "the guy," but I felt at the time (and for a long time after) that it was too soon to put the belt on him. After Hogan, Sting should have been put right into a "real World Champion" feud with Bret, and eventually dropped it to him while Hall and Nash do the whole NWO split thing and feud with Hogan. Then the summer you just have Bret groove with guys he's always been great in there with: Hennig, Flair, Savage, Hall, Nash etc. Then run with Goldberg at the end of the year instead of Warrior. Have him win WW3 and do US Champ vs. World Champ at Starrcade. With that, WCW stays hot well into 1999

• Like 1

No way.

If Hall had gotten the title at some point in 98, we at least would've had some decent matches until Goldberg won it. It's not like those Hogan/Savage, Hogan/Sting, Sting/Savage matches and the non-title match Hogan had at GAB 98 set the world on fire.