DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

On 11/9/2016 at 6:39 AM, cwoy2j said:

I brought this one up on Scott Keith's blog (I know, I know) and was interested to see what people here thought. Apparently Jim Crockett Jr wasn't the first choice to run JCP. His sister was in a relationship with a guy named John Rigley who was tapped to be next in line when Crockett Sr stepped down. However, Rigley cheated on the Crockett sister and was booted from the inner circle and Crockett Jr took over. I wonder how different things would've turned out if that hadn't have happened.

Also brought up by David Crockett in the Flair book, where he's brutally open about how his brother drove the business into the ground monetarily which led to Turner taking over. It's pretty wild to know that WCW was just a revival of the same JCP mistakes only on a massive corporate scale. You know, a David Crockett book would probably be short, but awesome.

EDIT: Whoops I thought you read it on that blog, you probably read it in the Flair book

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also brought up by David Crockett in the Flair book, where he's brutally open about how his brother drove the business into the ground monetarily which led to Turner taking over. It's pretty wild to know that WCW was just a revival of the same JCP mistakes only on a massive corporate scale. You know, a David Crockett book would probably be short, but awesome.

EDIT: Whoops I thought you read it on that blog, you probably read it in the Flair book

The first time I heard about Rigley being the first heir apparent was in JJ Dillon's book.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2016 at 10:38 PM, caley said:

Was reading 'The Death of WCW' and had never heard that Davey Boy Smith was supposed to be the 4th member of the nWo part before.  

What would Davey Boy Smith, nWo member have been like?  Would he have ended up doing all the jobs for the nWo?  Would he have been a top-ish guy (Keeping in mid this was before guys like Rotunda and Traylor were in the nWO), maybe had a US Title run? He worked well as part of the Hart Foundation, so I think he actually could have been a lot of fun running interference for Hogan, Hall and Nash.  It also would be interesting to see if his wrestling character would have evolved with them, or if he would just be the same character with an nWo shirt.

I think Davey Boy standing around with the sunglasses and cutoff sleeves as the "muscle" for the nWo would have worked. Yeah the promos still wouldn't have been great but I also don't know how much they would have asked him to talk.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:38 PM, HumanChessgame said:

What if Marty Janetty never decided to get into wrestling, or just remained a solo guy?  Would Shawn have had the career he did if The Rockers were never formed?  Would he have eventually gotten successful as a singles guy or would he maybe have been partnered up with some other guy who was around then and had as good a tag team run?

If memory serves me correctly, Janetty teamed with Tommy Lane as the "Uptown Boys" in Central States.

3 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

If memory serves me correctly, Janetty teamed with Tommy Lane as the "Uptown Boys" in Central States.

Correct (though Lane was being billed as "Tommy Rogers" at the time, even though another Tommy Rogers - the one who teamed with Bobby Fulton as the Fantastics - was bouncing around the territories at the same time).

Jannetty had a few partners before Shawn Michaels. He won a couple tag titles in Central States with "Bulldog" Bob Brown.

9 minutes ago, zev said:

What's the first filmed and/or televised use of a Stone Cold Stunner/Diamond Cutter? I know it wasn't Austin or DDP that did it first, just wondering how long it has been in usage.

Johnny Ace was doing them in Japan around 91ish.  Jimmy Garvin busted out the Stunner in WCW in 94 during that quickie fued with Badd.  DDP was using the cutter by 95, and Triple H used it his first couple matches in WWF in 95.

Apparently Mikey Whipwreck innovated the Stunner per wiki, although I don't recall ever seeing him do it in a match, and I watched a ton of ECW back then.

• Like 1

I brought this up in the WWE Network thread, but what if Vince had taken the title off Bret by giving it to The Patriot at Ground Zero two months before Montreal? I ask this because Patriot put Bret in the Sharpshooter late in the match. Vince wouldn't have even had to tell Patriot that he was getting the title. It could have been played off as a "mistake" by Earl Hebner, who would have been the only other person in the building who had to be in on the "Louisville Screwjob."

55 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I brought this up in the WWE Network thread, but what if Vince had taken the title off Bret by giving it to The Patriot at Ground Zero two months before Montreal? I ask this because Patriot put Bret in the Sharpshooter late in the match. Vince wouldn't have even had to tell Patriot that he was getting the title. It could have been played off as a "mistake" by Earl Hebner, who would have been the only other person in the building who had to be in on the "Louisville Screwjob."

Patriot was so broken down at that point that I don't think it was a viable option. Poor guy finally got the run of his life when he was a physical wreck. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Patriot was so broken down at that point that I don't think it was a viable option. Poor guy finally got the run of his life when he was a physical wreck. 

You should listen to his interview on Austin's podcast. He talks about his addictions in a lot of detail and he's quite open about it. Driving around to different pharmacies to get pills, taking dozens in a day, etc. It's nuts. Dude's liver and kidneys have to shot.

12 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I believe the stunner was really just a jawbreaker variation that was used as a counter to sleeper holds and such prior to Whipwreck and Austin popularizing it as a finisher. I can recall seeing Ron Simmons use it in a match in the late 80's or early 90's.

I know I saw it before then but always set-up as counter v. The Stunner/Whippersnapper which always seemed more impactful based on he selling of the person taking it. Hell look t the earliest Stunner's Austin did and they looked kinda gnarly before he put the snap on it. Really, it's the visual of the snap on it that makes look like it is more damagining than the counter. Same thing with the Diamond Cutter, once DDP learned to add some snap on it it looked wy more effective

James

What if... the Shockmaster didn't trip? What if he busted clean through the wall, and actually held a microphone to his mouth while Ole insulted Sid and Harlem Heat? Were they actually planning on having him wrestle in the Stormtrooper helmet? Were they going to push him as an unstoppable monster face?

The helmet was a stopgap until they came up with a look for him for the PPV.

I still want to know where they got a Stormtrooper helmet.  Lucas never licensed reproductions, so it's bit like they picked it up at Kmart or something.

5 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

I still want to know where they got a Stormtrooper helmet.  Lucas never licensed reproductions, so it's bit like they picked it up at Kmart or something.

Being a Turner company, they could have picked up something similar from a prop department or something...