DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

If they actually worked together unlike Ali and Inoki, it couldn't help but have been better.

True, but I can't imagine Ali putting Sammartino over here in the US. The clever finish of Ali hesitating when Inoki got color to set up the enzuigiri (that was foreshadowed in Ali's "practice" boxer v. wrestler matches in the US) would have to be changed. I imagine a draw that could be booked so as not to leave the fans feeling ripped off. Who was booking this, and could juggle those egos? I imagine Vince Sr., maybe Blassie? Who on the NJ /NWF side? Obviously the egos involved could not be corraled. I imagine Bruno would agree to do the (right kind of) job, or he would be smart enough to not to get involved at all. He made a good payday anyway.

- RAF

You'd lose the Japan money though. Ringside seats at the Budokan were the equivalent of $3000 (by today's exchange rate). I don't know how much ringside seats were at Shea for the Bruno vs Hansen match that actually took place that night, probably 1/100th of that.

The only viable finish in my mind is one that looks like a win for Ali to the boxing fans, but a win for Bruno to the wrestling fans.

What if Shawn Michaels is too messed up to work Wrestlemania 14 and Vince books Austin/Tyson for the WWF Title (or were there issues that led to Tyson only being the special ringside enforcer)? Tyson getting a WWF run for a summer would've been interesting. For being such a wrestling fan, it seems strange he never got to work a singles match for WWE.

I'm pretty certain they couldn't even get Tyson to be the referee, which was why he was downgraded to enforcer. I don't know what the ins and outs of that were about though. Without Shawn, they would have had to bullshit something like Undertaker vs Kane for the vacant title since that was the only hot program on the card anyway. Austin could have had some kind of confrontation with Tyson at the show (probably with Vince taking bumps from both of them), then he'd get the strap at Unforgiven.

Although, since getting the belt on Austin was the endgame no matter what, just put Rock in the main event with him since he was runner up in the Rumble.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

What if Marty Janetty wasn't a drug addict? Watching his surprise IC win against HBK this morning and all I see is wasted potential. 

Him and HBK would have 50/50 booking until a blow off cage match?

Well, when you're talking Hansen, Gordy & Williams, yeah. But Kroffat & Furnas did some flash stuff. And RD and Sabu were an AJPW Tag Team for a good while. Gary Albright was pretty Stiener-ish, spotfest with power moves instead of jumping flips.

RVD and Sabu in AJPW just never made sense. Shinzaki was also a borderline AJ type guy to me. 

What I meant by flashy wasn't so much in moves but in style. Furnas & Kroffat had the personality of a boulder. Albright was also solid and a classic AJ heavy to me with his suplex and mat game, but he also was about as interesting as painting a fence. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thomas Bugg said:

What if Kevin Dunn's dad never saved those TV tapings from a burning truck? What becomes of the WWF? What happens to who Jim Cornette refers to as the "Bucky Beaver motherfucker"?

He signs a fat WCW contract in the late 90s, and has his hackery exposed, then spends the next twenty or so years burying everything in modern wrestling because he craves the attention.

• Like 6

Dunn's father worked for the production company that syndicated WWWF/WWF. His car caught on fire while he was driving it home one day, and he risked possibly being blown up by going into the trunk to retrieve three weeks worth of tapings before getting out of harms way. I'm not sure if Vince Sr. or Jr. was in charge at this point, but it's apparently where the loyalty to the Dunn family comes from. 

• Like 2

Yeah. 

Snagged this from elsewhere... 

Dunn's journey in the WWE began when his father, Dennis was the executive producer of Intermedia Productions, which produced and syndicated (W)WWF television from 1972 through 1983. Dennis Dunn was very close to Vince's father, Vince McMahon, Sr. for many years and Vince Sr.'s loyalty to Dennis extends to his son, Vince Jr. One day as Dennis was driving home from a TV taping in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, his car caught on fire. In his car were several tapes as Dennis managed to save the tapes from his fiery car as losing these shows would have disrupted the promotion. It was then that Vince Jr. promised Dennis that he would take care of Kevin as Vince Jr. would give Kevin a job for life in the WWF (now WWE).

• Like 1