DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

What if Nailz decided that going all Latrell Spreewell on McMahon wasn't such a good idea? I could see him squashing jobbers for a while, leading up to a feud with Taker. Not that Nailz was a good worker by any stretch of the imagination, but a match with Taker would've looked like Flair-Steamboat compared to the one that Taker had with Giant Gonzalez at Wrestlemania. Maybe throw a no holds barred stip in there or something.

But then we never would've gotten to experience the classic match against Sting.

Or at least it would've been delayed a couple years.  You know WCW would eventually hire him anyway.

• Like 1

Maybe he was planting seeds for a future match? How close was the interview to that show in which they were going to acknowledge Reid Flair, with Ric in the front row? Didn't Naitch say before that it was almost a done deal, as he was circling the parking lot waiting for the go-ahead?

Didn't Triple H give an interview somewhere right around that time about how Flair was old and needed to retire?

Yeah he did but that was also the WWF talking point at the time vs WCW that they were all old guys.

Remember that Flair was on opposing sides of Nash and Hall politically in WCW too.

If Flair had gone to ECW, we could finally have gotten the long-awaited Flair-New Jack feud.

#mindblown

I figure we'd get Douglas/Dreamer vs. New Jack/Flair as a one off at some show in like Bethlehem, PA or something. Flair would do the match, get the pinfall win over Dreamer and then when Paul E.'s check bounced that would be the last we'd see of Flair in ECW.

He had the ability, and he'd still have had a good look with the bald/goatee combo, but the question is whether his body would hold up. Easier schedule vs stiffer style might be a wash in general wear and tear, but more head-dropping seems like an issue given that was what eventually did him in. Speculating, but I could see him being another guy they looked at to take Hansen's spot who never quite made it, in this case due to injury.

No, before Owen did his neck in, he was a guy with knee issues and nothing else (as far as anyone knew). So maybe his neck would be fine... but most likely if he goes to AJPW, he ends up in WWF anyway. Patriot did, Kroffat & Furnas did, RVD & Sabu did. Dr Death did. Gary Albright might have done, had he not passed away so young.

From what I understand, Doug Gilbert's shoot-happy promo essentially crippled Memphis wrestling in 1998. What if he decided to just shut the fuck up and do what he was told? Would there actually be a good indy in the Memphis area today?

Speaking of Memphis, the new Seed of 6ix mixtape got released today :)

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Memphis was pretty much on its ass when they couldn't sell out at a literal flea market, and that was in 1996. Gilbert's promo was just killing the reanimated corpse.

• 2 weeks later...

They'd probably have stayed Punk's goon squad longer. They'd never have gotten the freedom to run roughshod over the roster the way they did. Ambrose and Rollins probably would not be as high up the card as they are. Without a Reigns in mind to try to make the guy, Taker would have beaten Lesnar at Mania 30, and the Cena/Lesnar SummerSlam match either wouldn't happen or would be a typical 50/50 match. We'd all complain about moribund WWE booking and an inability to create new stars.

I'm not too great with anything Memphis, but wasn't the big problem that Lawler was on WWF TV as a heel while still being the big Memphis babyface?

If you watch the whole McMemphis thing (the McMahon vs Lawler feud from USWA) there was a King's Court interview segment that they taped in some random town at a WWF taping with Lawler as the face and Vince as the heel. It's great to watch as the crowd seems to have no idea what to make of it.

They'd probably have stayed Punk's goon squad longer. They'd never have gotten the freedom to run roughshod over the roster the way they did. Ambrose and Rollins probably would not be as high up the card as they are. Without a Reigns in mind to try to make the guy, Taker would have beaten Lesnar at Mania 30, and the Cena/Lesnar SummerSlam match either wouldn't happen or would be a typical 50/50 match. We'd all complain about moribund WWE booking and an inability to create new stars.

So, it wouldn't have changed anything in the grand scheme.

Would Hogan be less of a deal or an even bigger name if he had put his ego aside and done a few clean jobs for people/not sabotaged feuds?  I'm not even certain some of the stuff he supposedly pulled was best for him, much less the business.  I don't really think putting over Michaels or Randy Orton in the 2000's would have damaged him any, and an extended feud probably would have put more money in his pocket in the long run.  Even in the prime of Hulkamania, there was probably more money to be made in a feud with Jake or Perfect than against whatever low-workrate Monster of the Week Hogan agreed to work with.  Don't even get me started on Bret Hart or Yokozuna (though Hogan did take a pretty fair beating in that Yoko match, goofy camera flash aside).

Money was probably left on the table by sabotaging Savage consistently?  Did Savage ever get a clean win over Hogan?

Of course, in the 2000's, Vince and his cronies are probably equally responsible for Hogan's shenanigans.  The HBK mess was rather predictable and I laugh at the idea anyone believed Hogan when he said "Sure, I'll put Randy Orton over." 

I think Hogan's WWF run was fine. He could have jobbed more, but he was making great money as was Vince so no reason to re-invent the wheel when it's working so well. I would change the build-up to Wrestlemania 8 and make it about Hogan being jealous and upset because Sid eliminated him when he deserved the title because of the way he got screwed losing it twice in the span of a few days, first with Flair using a chair to help Taker beat him and then with Tunney stripping him of the belt due to his blatant cheating. Maybe if Hogan had a bit more edge and wasn't super righteous 24/7 it might've helped him out towards the end of his WWF run