DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

With The Undertaker retiring, here's some speculation - What if he never decided to go to the WWF or if they weren't interested in him?  Does he have any kind of run in WCW (or maybe Japan) or does he become just another hoss of the week that a face champion defeats at a Clash of Champions?  Was the Undertaker gimmick still on the table and given to someone else?

If he stays in WCW he gets used as the clean up hitter in at least 1 WarGames,  wins a major title at a Clash, only to lose at Starrcade to Sting. But his squashing of midcarders becomes the stuff of legend. As in right now we'd be honoring the 25th anniversary of him heart punching either PN News or Tom Zenk out of the company.

A jaunt to ECW has him as a years long World champ, only to lose to Tommy Dreamer at the inaugural PPV, weeks after knocking out and breaking the jaw of Terry Funk. See what happens when you don't wear mouthpieces. Anyway, Tommy's post-victory speech sets the bar high for his future crying jags.

C'mon, you know you'd have wanted to see Mean Mark no sell Sabu and stuff Tazzplex attempts.

Japan? Him and Dr. Death become MVC 2.0. Tape traders profit from this.

Mexico? He's Vampiro's big brother, Zombero.

• Like 8

I think Taker walks away from wrestling in the early 2000's and has a run in the UFC. Would have only been in his early/mid 30's and with his size and agility I could see him doing some damage if he got in the right camp.

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

He was pretty good as Mean Mark. They gave him Dangerously as a manager and he had a fairly high profile match with Luger. Seems like there might have been plans for him.

Apparently they fired him after the 90 Bash. He was injured and it hurt the match. He said they told him he had no future.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Victator said:

Apparently they fired him after the 90 Bash. He was injured and it hurt the match. He said they told him he had no future.

We're speaking of the same company that wanted Flair to become "Spartacus" and had no idea how to push La Parka.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

With The Undertaker retiring, here's some speculation - What if he never decided to go to the WWF or if they weren't interested in him?  Does he have any kind of run in WCW (or maybe Japan) or does he become just another hoss of the week that a face champion defeats at a Clash of Champions?  Was the Undertaker gimmick still on the table and given to someone else?

I think maybe a guy like Spivey would have ended up with the gig.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Victator said:

Was this one of Jim Herd's calls? That guy had his finger on ds pulse on Da Bidness.

15 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think maybe a guy like Spivey would have ended up with the gig.

It's weird to think that The Undertaker gimmick could have suffered the same date as Waylon Mercy. I'd say it would be poetic if, in this alternate reality, Brian Lee ends up as The Undertaker.

16 hours ago, Victator said:

So Bischoff wasn't the first President of WCW that released guys that Vince would make legendary.

As the story goes with no Mean Mark, there is no Undertaker. The gimmick was created based on how much he looked like an old time Undertaker on the set of Suburban Commando. 

Anybody remember the rumor that Taker was suppose to emerge from the egg at Survivor Series 90 and be known as Egg Man. I am willing to believe that was a fever dream. But I swear I read it in some 1990 Observers. 

3 hours ago, Victator said:

Anybody remember the rumor that Taker was suppose to emerge from the egg at Survivor Series 90 and be known as Egg Man. I am willing to believe that was a fever dream. But I swear I read it in some 1990 Observers. 

Yeah, the Egg Man rumor was in the Observer - and a bunch of other places.

I tend to think it's an urban legend since it sounds ridiculous, but... meh... there have been even more ridiculous ideas for gimmicks so it's not too far-fetched.  I don't know that anyone at the time was looking at Mean Mark and thinking "future hall of famer" or that the UT gimmick would be a license to print money.

• Like 1

Hector Guerrero did an interview where he said that the WWF folks, after first contacting him about the job,  just happened to pick him and Taker up in the same limo to take them to Titan Towers, get measurements for outfits and such.

• Like 1

Here's a good what if. What if the original Rocky ended the way Stallone originally planned, with Rocky dying in the ring? If that happens, there's no Rocky III so we don't get Mr. T as Clubber Lang and we don't get Hogan as Thunderlips. Do those guys still somehow get the mainstream notoriety they got from that movie somewhere else? And if not, what happens to WM1? Is Vince still able to get all of the celebrities he did for the event without Hogan's mainstream cache? 

A-Team started airing in early 1983, well before WM 1 planning got going. Mr. T would've been at the height of his popularity right around 85 anyway, assuming he didn't just get the B.A. Baracus gig because of how he looked in Rocky 3.

So, I'm thinking he would've been available. How he would've met up with Hogan eludes me, unless I want to make jokes about how maybe T was a bouncer in clubs where Hogan was playing bass for Metallica.

Weren't the rest of the celebrities NYC based back then? Lauper was at the MTV studios in New York often, I seem to recall. At least they played her videos regularly and interviewed her now and then. Her interaction with Piper at MSG which they aired got my attention back then.

I'm saying it's feasible they still get the mainstream coverage and most of the people they had at the first one.

~~~

Follow up: Which celebrities get nixed if they only run 2 cities for WM2?

• Like 1

Weren't the rest of the celebrities NYC based back then? Lauper was at the MTV studios in New York often, I seem to recall. At least they played her videos regularly and interviewed her now and then. Her interaction with Piper at MSG which they aired got my attention back then.

I'm saying it's feasible they still get the mainstream coverage and most of the people they had at the first one.

Maybe some of them tell Vince to eff off if Hogan isn't as recognizable as he was.

2 hours ago, zev said:

A-Team started airing in early 1983, well before WM 1 planning got going. Mr. T would've been at the height of his popularity right around 85 anyway, assuming he didn't just get the B.A. Baracus gig because of how he looked in Rocky 3.

So, I'm thinking he would've been available. How he would've met up with Hogan eludes me, unless I want to make jokes about how maybe T was a bouncer in clubs where Hogan was playing bass for Metallica.

~~~

Follow up: Which celebrities get nixed if they only run 2 cities for WM2?

Chicago had the fewest celebrities and the smallest celebrities- Ozzy Osbourne was still a big deal, but the NFL/WWF battle royal was a catch-22: It was big in 1986 because they had Refrigerator Perry at the height of his fame, but he was the biggest possible deal for being in Chicago. 

It'd be likely the celebrities from Chicago get nixed, with the tag team match moved to NY or LA and the women's match moved to the other. 

The only bigger questions are related: Who fights Andre the Giant instead of the battle royal (if, presumably, the NFL/WWF thing is killed), and since King Kong Bundy would be the only satisfying Andre match on the Mania 2 card, who fights Hogan instead?

Andre vs. Bundy. Double last year's stakes to a 30 thousand dollar challenge.

Hogan vs. Piper in a cage.

Orton faces Mr. T in the boxing match at Mania, not SNME.

• Like 2

If you book Hogan/Piper in a cage then I gotta book Piper to go over but then set-up Hogan regaining the belt on SNME in October so you can build to Hogan/Andre for Mania 3. 

James