DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

57 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

The helmet was a stopgap until they came up with a look for him for the PPV.

I still want to know where they got a Stormtrooper helmet.  Lucas never licensed reproductions, so it's bit like they picked it up at Kmart or something.

I had a two-piece Darth Vader helmet I got from a local video store in Baltimore a few years before that, so I can definitely tell you, official or otherwise, Star Wars masks, etc were in circulation and easy to come by in 1993.

The guy who made the Stormtrooper helmets for the first movie used to sell replicas in the UK. Apparently when they originally sent him the contract in 1976, they neglected to put a clause in saying stop making them once we've got enough, and don't sell them to anyone else. And then when they realised he was doing that they tried to get him to stop, but somehow lacked a legal leg to stand on. Something to do with him making design changes from what he was sent, so he wound up holding the copyright on them.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2016 at 5:27 AM, AxB said:

What if... the Shockmaster didn't trip? What if he busted clean through the wall, and actually held a microphone to his mouth while Ole insulted Sid and Harlem Heat? Were they actually planning on having him wrestle in the Stormtrooper helmet? Were they going to push him as an unstoppable monster face?

Honestly not much. At the end of the day it's still Fred ottoman in a crappy gimmick

• Like 1

Booking-wise, I think without the trip Ottman would have played with the main eventers a bit, then settled into a midcard role. Eventually I see him turning heel and reteaming with Tenta when he comes in. I could totally see Shockmaster in the Dungeon of Doom.

Historically, like zendragon said, Shockmaster was always gonna be Wrestlecrap material. The difference is that without the trip he just would've been another corny WCW gimmick like The Shark or The Zodiac, but the trip put him up there with The Gobbledy Gooker on the all time list.

What if Shawn screws Bret at SummerSlam 96' and is unable to wrestle in the United States? Go with Hunter as HBK's proxy so we get Hunter vs. Bret at IYH: Ground Zero, Taker vs.  Bulldog and Owen vs. Patriot. Then at One Night Only you can run a title vs. title match with Bulldog vs. Taker as the main and have Bret/Owen vs. Shawn/Hunter. Badd Blood could main event Bret vs. Taker Hell in a Cell with the same finish. Bret drops the belt the next night on RAW to Taker after DX interferes. Roll with Bret/HBK in Montreal with HBK now being allowed to wrestle in the US if he wins and Bret leaves WWE if he loses. Taker wrestles Owen maybe?

The Shockmaster was supposed to be a masked character to feud with Vader.  Then he fell and they ran with the clutz gimmick and I guess, the everyman construction worker character was so he could wear a construction helmet so when he fell down he'd have a helmet to scramble around for.  Most of his matches were really fast squashes.  Then they kinda tried to repackage him as The Super Shockmaster but I'm pretty sure he only had one match with that character and then he was gone shortly after.  I think he left WCW cause he split with Dusty's sister-in-law.

fredottman1011.png

http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/super-shockmaster.html

He only went to back to WWF cause they called him to replace Earthquake to do some jobs for Yoko but it was only a short stint cause he had an ownership stake in a nightclub so he was doing that full-time.

He was in the nightclub biz before wrestling which is where he picked up these sweet dance moves.

At least that's how I recall his story from an interview I once heard.

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

Don't be a lemon... be a Rosebud!

Disappointed that nobody is saying that if Shockmaster hadn't fell, he'd have had a babyface run, formed a tag team with Sting, and then turned on him. It's one of the Ten Commandments of Wrestling: Thou shalt always turn on Sting.

Well, of course he was going to turn on Sting.

But yeah, he probably would've ended up just like The Boss, man is he big.  Losing end of a hoss feud with Vader and then turn on Sting.  Probably go over on Sting cause Hogan's coming in.  Hogan beats him, takes his mask, and The Shockmaster gets revealed as Hulk's friend til the end, Brother Tropical Storm Boat.

• Like 6

On the old Legends of Wrestling thing, Dusty said someone put a 2 by 4 like a two inches off the ground that wasn't there during the rehearsal. Clearly it was sabotage. Ole probably did it cause he didn't want to do the voice.

But of course he would have turned on Sting. Probably by Superbrawl I would imagine if he was successful enough. WCW was just an odd place at the time bringing anyone in to face Sting. Hell, if Davey Boy Smith stuck around long enough he would have turned on Sting. Now that's a shame he didn't because that would have been an amazing feud and series of matches.

32 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

He should've been Sultan Shockmaster. So we could've gotten the Ottman Empire. 

So you're saying they could've put more butts in the seats if folks knew there would be footrests instead of just planting their feet on beer and popcorn covered concrete? I like that plan.

• Like 3

Imagine if there had been an ottoman on the A Flair For The Gold set and Shockmaster had tripped over that too.

On 11/26/2016 at 7:53 AM, cwoy2j said:

Maybe they would've stolen Vince's idea and turned him into an Iraqi sympathizer and called him Sheik Tugboat. That was actually a rumor back then.

I find the idea of Sheik Tugboat to be hilarious but that was never a rumor until Bruce Prichard pulled it out of his ass on Flair's podcast.  First, Prichard seems about 75% full of shit, 100% of the time.  Second, his timeline doesn't work as Slaughter was already in as a heel while Tugboat was still a face.  Tugboat turning and teaming with Earthquake and doing a program against Hogan/Warrior makes sense as I would think the running plan for WMVII would've been Hogan/Warrior II before Vince ran hard with the America conquering the foreign menace angle.

• Like 3

On 11/21/2016 at 7:19 AM, Mike Zeidler said:

The helmet was a stopgap until they came up with a look for him for the PPV.

I still want to know where they got a Stormtrooper helmet.  Lucas never licensed reproductions, so it's bit like they picked it up at Kmart or something.

Don Post sold a replica steadily since the 70s.  It was pretty clearly that one, it had the same hole pattern poked for the eyes. So it wasn't the UK guy, but the largest maskmaker in the United States at the time.

.StormtrooperHelmet01.jpg