DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

But boy did they not show Pa Kent as he should be. And I thought Costner was great in the role being that character that this movie showed, but man, that wasn't Jonathan Kent from the comics at all.

I'm a big time Superman fan.  I even have tattoos on my wrists written in the Kryptonian alphabet.  And I have come to believe/accept that I am the only human alive that loved Kevin Costner and the portrayal of Jonathan Kent.  I should add too that when it comes to Kevin Costner, I don't have much of a middleground.  Sometimes he bores me to tears, other times I think he's great.

Could be.  I suppose I should have added the caveat of 'if he can be pulled from his current schtick.' He's hidden behind the makeup so long, I'm not entirely sure if Depp even realizes how mundane it's become for him.

I'm so used to seeing Johnny Depp do roles where he is under heavy makeup or quirky or bizarre or whatever the case may be that when I see trailers for movie where he is playing a relatively normal and/or normal looking guy, it's only THEN do I say "Wow, Johnny Depp looks weird." 

Because I've gotten to the point where if he looks halfway like anyone I'd see on the street it seems somehow seems like it doesn't look right.  Like when someone you know well and see all the time gets a massively different haircut or goes from a full beard to clean shaven or always wears glasses then suddenly doesn't.  You think you might get used to it, but really, they just look creepily different.

If you told me that was an image from a new Mel Brooks TERMINATOR spoof I would have no reason not to believe it from that image.

"Come with me if you want to live...or don't...I'm not gonna press the issue.  I've got problems too, you know.  You know what?  Stay.  You're so smart?  Go ahead and stay.  No really.  Oh, now you wanna come with?  Fine but I choose where we eat."

Random thoughts: Which actors do you think could pull off a "McConaughey" in the future? Who gets largely dismissed but does have some hidden talent?

In something like Out of the Furnace, the writing was middling and his performance suffered because of it. Another person can pull it off but you need all the right pieces to fall into place.

I agree about the writing but I thought Bale, Affleck and Woody were boss.

Hanging with my 3 year old nephew, Toy Story 3 was on Disney Jr, he loves it, but man it's hard not to watch the ending without it getting dusty in the room.  He wanted to watch Monsters vs Aliens next, I forgot how much I enjoyed that movie, I liked it, lots of fun.  Now he wants to watch The Incredibles, this is turning out to be a great day.

• Like 1

I'm so used to seeing Johnny Depp do roles where he is under heavy makeup or quirky or bizarre or whatever the case may be that when I see trailers for movie where he is playing a relatively normal and/or normal looking guy, it's only THEN do I say "Wow, Johnny Depp looks weird." 

Because I've gotten to the point where if he looks halfway like anyone I'd see on the street it seems somehow seems like it doesn't look right.  Like when someone you know well and see all the time gets a massively different haircut or goes from a full beard to clean shaven or always wears glasses then suddenly doesn't.  You think you might get used to it, but really, they just look creepily different.

This is spot on. When he did The Tourist, I didn't believe at all that he was a clumsy, school teacher. Just did not work. He doesn't have that everyday guy look to him.

This is spot on. When he did The Tourist, I didn't believe at all that he was a clumsy, school teacher. Just did not work. He doesn't have that everyday guy look to him.

There's a really funny "How did this get made" about THE TOURIST that goes pretty in detail into how absurd Depp was in it.

I think this movie was discussed a while back, but damn MUD was good. And it was a lot more than just a good McConaughey performance. Jeff Nichols is a young director everyone should take note of. All the sudden, his upcoming sci-fi flick, MIDNIGHT SPECIAL, has jumped toward the top of my most anticipated films list.

I LOVED 'Mud'.

Re-watched 'Silver Linings Playbook' with brother and sister and brother-in-law before easter dinner.  It's so good.  I love it.  Jacki Weaver gives the best little performance of anyone in the movie (Though Shea Wigham is really awesome).  I love the scene where Tiffany and Pat's dad are discussing how to get Pat to the final dance-off and the mom says "I'm not comfortable lying" and DeNiro says "Hey you went ahead and told her where he was running so she could meet up with him" and she does this incredible little eye-roll as if saying "Okay, oops, you caught me".  But there's just not a wrong performance in the flick: DeNiro, Weaver, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Tucker, Wigham, the guy who plays the psychiatrist, the friend.  Everyone is just perfect.  And it's funny.

Caught this one on Netflix over the weekend:

The Company Men - Ben Affleck plays a sales guy who gets downsized in the wake of the economic crisis.  Tommy Lee Jones is his boss and Craig T Nelson is the CEO.  Kevin Costner plays the brother-in-law.  This is a somber movie with a few light moments that takes a pretty realistic look at what happens to upper-middle class (or above) folks who lose their jobs and their employment prospects afterward.  Affleck is solid, Nelson is good, Tommy Lee plays himself, and Costner demonstrates the hilarity of his (in)ability to do a good accent.  Good movie that doesn't really strive for greatness and thus never gets there.  I did get a bit of a chuckle out of the financial situation Affleck is in - he makes $125k + incentives and is his family's sole paycheck, yet they live in a home that's worth well north of $1m.  If that doesn't just explain the mortgage crisis in a nutshell, LOL.  Anyway, good movie that just creeps over the Tabedoza line - 7.5/10.

Not sure about an Oscar, but I absolutely believe Rock is a better actor than most think. He's just in a lot of nonsense (apologies to fans of car racing and movies based on action figures) and has a ridiculous physique and gets dismissed because of it.

I do think if Adam Sandler stopped doing all these abysmal comedies and went back to doing Punch Drunk Love-style films, everyone would remember how talented he was.

I do think if Adam Sandler stopped doing all these abysmal comedies and went back to doing Punch Drunk Love-style films, everyone would remember how talented he was.

You'll have to send a ping-detecting robot submersible down into the ocean of money he's sunk to the bottom of in to make the case.

I don't think either Rock or Sandler has a prayer at winning an Oscar.  Even after Sandler's performance in 'PDL' (Which was written specifically for him), a lot of critics still had a hard time forgiving him for his earlier "cinematic transgressions", and that was back when the worst thing he'd done was 'Little Nicky'.  Can you imagine critics/Academy having to forget about 'That's My Boy', 'Grown Ups', his new Drew Barrymore romantic comedy...

Rock is probably always going to get "He's pretty charismatic...he did an okay job...for a wrestler!"  The only way he gets an Oscar is if he strikes up a sudden friendship with someone like Paul Thomas Anderson or the Coen Brothers and they start to put him in everything and gradually start to win people over.

It wouldn't be as extraordinary as McConaughey's turnaround, but I could honestly see someone like Louis CK winning an Oscar if he hooks up with the right director and gets the right role.  He pretty much steals every scene he's in in 'American Hustle' and I could see him doing some pretty amazingly devastating work if the stars aligned correctly.

Louis CK winning an Oscar....would be like...I dunno even know. Louie, just because he hates actors so much, wouldn't even show up to the Academy Awards to accept. He wouldn't even send a Native American girl like Brando did to be ironic. He would have a registered sex offender straight out of a NAMBLA documentary do it just to send a message to people. He's that type of person.

I could see the Rock getting an Oscar if the stars aligned just so--working with the right director at the right time in a role that doesn't depend on his size/athleticism/physical charisma in any way.  I've seen enough flashes here and there to believe he can be great in the right role.

I keep waiting for Colin Farrell to get it together, but I don't think it's going to happen.  They tried to push him as a major leading man, and he feels too quirky for that. If he stuck to lead roles in smaller films and supporting roles in big movies, he'd be better off.   I suspect his sex tape hurt him a lot.

It's sort of shocking that Cruise doesn't have one already, considering the number of films he has been in that have had a billion nominations. 

That's an interesting question: Which actors have been in the most films with nominations (total nominations, not just acting nods) that haven't won an academy award? DiCaprio and Cruise both have to be way up there. 

Watched The Sixth Man recently. Man, it was all kinds of fucked up when the media kept blaming the team's loses on Antoine's death. Then they go on about how Kelly hasn't been the same player and needs to find his game again. No compassion for a guy who lost his brother. Like da fuck?

The movie was made almost 20 years ago, and it is still the most realistic interpretation of US media I've ever seen.

A few reviews are rolling in for Proxy (65% on RT with 17 reviews), and the reaction is really something.  Seems like an extremely polarizing movie.

Here's an example.  Read the review and then read the comments section: http://thedissolve.com/reviews/720-proxy/  The reviewer loves it, and then everyone in the comments who's seen it really hates it.  The acting is mostly bad, the characters' motivations are non-existent or laughable, but there's a very distinct feel to it via the aesthetics and the score, and (apparently) it has a serious statement to make.