DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

The entire concept of found footage is fucking stupid. Why are these dumb motherfuckers filming this shit. RUN moron. RUN.

Granted it gets a bit ridiculous in Cloverfield where the guy actually gets killed because he's too distracted with the camera, but I don't think it's as far-fetched as people think. Everyone's natural instinct now is to get out their cameras and film stuff. If 9/11 happened today, you would have had at least one or two people in the planes filming their stuff and uploading it.

Also, in the Blair Witch Project, Heather knows they're doomed and the video is her way of saying goodbye/leaving some sort of explantion, hence why she refuses to switch it off.

The entire concept of found footage is fucking stupid. Why are these dumb motherfuckers filming this shit. RUN moron. RUN.

Granted it gets a bit ridiculous in Cloverfield where the guy actually gets killed because he's too distracted with the camera, but I don't think it's as far-fetched as people think. Everyone's natural instinct now is to get out their cameras and film stuff. If 9/11 happened today, you would have had at least one or two people in the planes filming their stuff and uploading it.

The thing is 9/11 wouldn't last several hours like whatever the hell is going in Cloverfield. Also, you still could upload to the internet back then. In the End of Watch, it's really stupid but at the same time not as stupid as Cloverfield.

Yeah, it's not really far-fetched at all now.  We've all seen footage of people walking into fountains/traffic/doors while staring at their phone, why is it so unrealistic to think people in the middle of a giant crisis/disaster wouldn't try to film it and get killed doing so?!

The thing is 9/11 wouldn't last several hours like whatever the hell is going in Cloverfield. Also, you still could upload to the internet back then. In the End of Watch, it's really stupid but at the same time not as stupid as Cloverfield.

I kinda thought 'End of Watch' repeatedly bungled their own gimmick, at least 'Cloverfield' knew how to stick with it.  I honestly don't get the praise for 'End of Watch', it seems relentlessly average to me, bordering on bad.

But the whole found footage is a pretty brilliant one: how do we get people who have been raised on first-person video games more immersed in films?!  Found footage: give them the illusion that they're actually in the movie.

Also, I think the best found footage film is 'Trollhunter', but that's just me.

Yeah, it's not really far-fetched at all now.  We've all seen footage of people walking into fountains/traffic/doors while staring at their phone, why is it so unrealistic to think people in the middle of a giant crisis/disaster wouldn't try to film it and get killed doing so?!

I kinda thought 'End of Watch' repeatedly bungled their own gimmick, at least 'Cloverfield' knew how to stick with it.  I honestly don't get the praise for 'End of Watch', it seems relentlessly average to me, bordering on bad.

I thought Cloverfield stunk. Also, TJ Miller has one of the most punchable faces in the world so I was upset he didn't die within 5 minutes of the movie starting.

A natural disaster is one thing..  We're talking about Jason. His M.O. is picking people off one by one. Why the fuck is this dummy still filming shit after all his friends are slaughtered at the lake?

Maybe they could do it with an idiotic investigative reporter type angle? Like bodies have been disappearing for a while and someone goes to check it out? I don't watch the genre, so if that is really dumb that would be why. . .

I guess they could rip off Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon.

I hope they don't. BTM was pretty good, and supposedly a sequel is right around the corner ... any day now ...

A natural disaster is one thing..  We're talking about Jason. His M.O. is picking people off one by one. Why the fuck is this dummy still filming shit after all his friends are slaughtered at the lake?

Yeah, but when you're running away from him through a dark basement the light from the camera can help you find the way and/or grab a nearby chainsaw to fight him with.

So the "found footage" FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot is going forward with one of the directors from V/H/S.

Another reboot?  There was nothing wrong with the Jared Padalecki / Danielle Panabaker dealie other than reboots being useless in general.  

Arguably my favorite movie that MIchael Bay was involved in if such a thing is possible.  That really isn't a high hurdle to jump over.

The one part I like is that it continues the legacy of the F13 movies as the ultimate exploitation cinema.  No matter how "sacred' they are among hard-core horror nerds, right from the beginning and up to today, their real purpose has been to exploit whatever is trendy among teenagers to keep the series going.

Put him in 3D!

Shove Alice Cooper in there!

Send him to New York!

Send him to CGI space!

Reboot!

Reboot again as found footage!

It's the reboot era, so it makes perfect sense that they would do one...and then reboot the reboot.

I should probably be ashamed to admit I've seen every Friday the 13th, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Alice Cooper isn't actually in Jason Lives; he just provides the theme song. And I have to say, it's pretty fitting since that installment took an intentionally campy approach.

If New Line is hell-bent on rebooting on the franchise, I'd much prefer it follow the tone of Jason Lives and add some humor & self-deprecation (though I suppose Jason X tried that unsuccessfully).

This is actually Paramount. They got the rights back.

I think part of the appeal of found footage is that, with a few thousand dollars, literally anyone can make one. Even the conventionally-filmed low budget horrors usually need a few hundred thousand and are difficult to get funding for, but due to the format, found footage movies are way easier to produce.

So the "found footage" FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot is going forward with one of the directors from V/H/S.

Another reboot?  There was nothing wrong with the Jared Padalecki / Danielle Panabaker dealie other than reboots being useless in general.  

Arguably my favorite movie that MIchael Bay was involved in if such a thing is possible.  That really isn't a high hurdle to jump over.

The one part I like is that it continues the legacy of the F13 movies as the ultimate exploitation cinema.  No matter how "sacred' they are among hard-core horror nerds, right from the beginning and up to today, their real purpose has been to exploit whatever is trendy among teenagers to keep the series going.

Put him in 3D!

Shove Alice Cooper in there!

Send him to New York!

Send him to CGI space!

Reboot!

Reboot again as found footage!

It's the reboot era, so it makes perfect sense that they would do one...and then reboot the reboot.

I should probably be ashamed to admit I've seen every Friday the 13th, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Alice Cooper isn't actually in Jason Lives; he just provides the theme song. And I have to say, it's pretty fitting since that installment took an intentionally campy approach.

He was, however, in Freddy's Dead :The Final Nightmare as Freddy's abusive foster father.

He was on the cassette tape that was playing in the RV.  That's different than being on the soundtrack.  Alice Cooper existed in the world of that movie...and that dude bought his cassette and jammed out to it after prematurely ejaculating all over that one chick from CAN'T BY ME LOVE.

I thought Cloverfield stunk. Also, TJ Miller has one of the most punchable faces in the world so I was upset he didn't die within 5 minutes of the movie starting.

Man, I LOVE TJ Miller.  He's been my favourite "Hey there's that guy again!" actor in the last couple years: a blissed-out waiter in 'Seeking A Friend For the End of the World', a scene-stealing lovable hippie in 'Our Idiot Brother', and right now he's tearing it up as a Steve Jobs-obsessed software developer in 'Silicon Valley'.

Man, I LOVE TJ Miller. 

This is why we can't have nice things.

Man, I LOVE TJ Miller.  He's been my favourite "Hey there's that guy again!" actor in the last couple years: a blissed-out waiter in 'Seeking A Friend For the End of the World', a scene-stealing lovable hippie in 'Our Idiot Brother', and right now he's tearing it up as a Steve Jobs-obsessed software developer in 'Silicon Valley'.

I think you ARE TJ Miller

• Like 1