DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I watched TJ riff with a room full of 8-10 year olds once. He killed. DESTROYED. 

He was completely himself, didn't pander, didn't treat them like idiots. Stand up for kids? A hard, impossible thing to do. 

It's one of my top 10 sets I've ever seen.

• Like 1

I think The Raid 2 has absolutely spoiled me as far as action movies goes. Went and saw Brick Mansions this afternoon and all the parkour stuff just came off so damn lame. Oh, and the last twenty minutes of that movie can literally go fuck itself. I'm shocked my eyes didn't fall out of the sockets from how hard I was rolling them.

• Like 1

Watched The Family last night and what a ridiculous movie. They are all psychopaths who are framed to be the good guys. Deniro breaks a guys legs in 12 places because he says his pipes are old and the wife blows up a grocery store because they make fun of Americans being fat.

They are in witness protection but are found when the kid uses the quote "if it is good enough for you, it's good enough for me" in a French newspaper which in a crazy coincidence ends up in the prison cell of the mafia boss he snitched on in America

OH MY GOD THE COUNSELOR IS INSANE.

It's a must watch. Cormac McCarthy must have been rolling on some awesome peyote when he wrote that thing.

And God bless Javier Bardem. Diaz having sex with a car gets all the buzz, but Bardem is given the Herculean task of narrating it with a straight face. I would have needed a thousand takes to get through that.

OH MY GOD THE COUNSELOR IS INSANE.

It's a must watch. Cormac McCarthy must have been rolling on some awesome peyote when he wrote that thing.

And God bless Javier Bardem. Diaz having sex with a car gets all the buzz, but Bardem is given the Herculean task of narrating it with a straight face. I would have needed a thousand takes to get through that.

For some reason, I feel I may have to reassess how to watch Ridley Scott movies in the future. He's like a gajillion years old now, lost his brother not too long ago, and a bit out of touch with modern filmmaking. But that's what makes you remember his name (and his brother's) unlike a lot of listless scrubs who also make terrible movies. Their movies in the last 10-15 years are basically if Hype Williams decided he was Peckinpah and also loved Vengeance is Mine. With that said, there were still a ton of negatives to The Counselor. However, I can probably find a few positives somewhere in there.

Negative: Cameron Diaz flat out stunk. Very few women have had this terrible of a performance in a movie that didn't have hardcore penetration. If they didn't ADR her, she would have won all the Razzies.

Positive: She had sex with a car and that's an interesting visual nonetheless.

Negative: The super dry monologues which went on forever. Was McCarthy aiming for 9th grader who has lots of free time on his hands with the screenplay?

Positive: It all ended with Brad Pitt's head popping off like a cork in the crowded streets of London. Then, a medic casually (AND I MEAN CASUALLY) picked it up and placed it on top of his remains. If I could go to Hollywood and give an exec a script while I was in 9th grade, this is exactly how it would end.

Negative: The wardrobe choices were....very....exotic? Definitely interesting. Everybody is dressed like a bad stereotype.

Positive: I must say Ridley can choose a cinematographer. Wolski is amazing at his job. John Mathieson (literally the only positive thing you can associate with 47 Ronin) and the late Harris Savides did great work with Ridley as well. So the costumes were ridiculous, but they looked pretty on film. That's a positive, I guess.

Negative: Whatever the fuck accent Toby Kebbell was going for should've been ADR'd too. Just abysmal.

Positive: Natalie Dormer is sexy when she doesn't have those wigs on during Game of Thrones. A little funny looking but sexy.

Negative: It suffers from the Savages "where the fuck is this happening and where are the authorities" effect. Movies featuring the Mexican cartel seem to not bring up the fact people are walking around committed brutal acts of violence and still freely showing their face in broad daylight. Even though Savages went for the Griselda Blanco (and boy did Salma want to be Griselda so bad) tip, it still didn't make a ton of sense. She would never be allowed to visit anyone in the states, sick or not.

Positive: If you forget this giant plothole, there is such violence on the screen you need to take a shower afterwards. Fake blood everywhere.

Negative: Fassbender and Hayek's homegirl Penelope Cruz had zero chemistry together. Like thrown together WWE lower mid-carder/diva who has nothing to do bad.

Positive: Penelope Cruz is not a good actress, but she tries and wasn't as bad as Cameron Diaz. Worth a C+ in my book. Fassbender tried his best to muscle through the sketchy dialogue.

If you want to kill two hours and just like absurd movies, this is one you probably want to check out.

Watched 3 movies this weekend.

The Lords of Salem: After I saw the movie, I read an interview with Rob Zombie where he stated that he wanted the audience to feel the same way Heidi felt throughout the movie.  And, to that, he succeeded.  It was a heady, confusing trip.  It had its parts of terror, madness, and, of course, the trademark Rob Zombie grimy, trashy, disgusting feel.  The plot was secondary to that aesthetic.  So, it succeeded.  On the other hand, I don't know how much I want to watch it again, and I don't know that I would necessarily recommend it to any of my friends.  So, um, yeah.  But it was pretty creepy.

Resolution: my daughter picked this one out, and promptly fell asleep.  This one was interesting; I was trying to piece it all together but I completely misunderstood the ending.  I saw the "real" interpretation on reddit that makes the movie make a whole lot more sense.  But, the real draw here is the banter between Michael and Chris that never seems forced.  I liked it better after it was explained, so, maybe I'll go back and see if I can follow it a little better this time.

Unbreakable: I skipped the credits so that my teenagers wouldn't know it was a M. Night film.  They were pulled into the story, and they were rooting for Bruce Willis to find his destiny as a superhero.  Then the Mr. Glass reveal happened and they were less impressed, and then the credits flashed, and they both said, "Oh, well, that sucked."  That's pretty much true -- the movie is perfectly fine, but the taint of M. Night is just that bad.

So, in other words, two movies where reading more about it enhanced the viewing, vs. one where it turned a perfectly fine movie into total garbage.

I watched Robocop last night and the first hour is so dull I wanted to walk out of the theater. Even when things improve its still shitty. I feel like there was a good movie in there somewhere. This is the worst remake I've seen in a while.

Anyone here into DVD commentaries? I've spent my day watching the two commentaries on the special edition of Citizen Kane; Roger Ebert and Peter Bogdanovic. The Ebert commentary is by far one of the best I've ever heard, so much information on the filming, history, and little details, it's an amazing listen and should be listened to by anyone with an interest in film making. Bogdanovic's, however, is pretty bad. It's repetitive to Ebert's and he doesn't seem to bring anything to the table for this except being Orson Welles' friend and a few little anecdotes here or there. It hardly seems like they needed to include both when Bogdanovic tries to give a lot of the same insight as Ebert but doesn't do it nearly as well or as engagingly.

Anyone here into DVD commentaries? I've spent my day watching the two commentaries on the special edition of Citizen Kane; Roger Ebert and Peter Bogdanovic. The Ebert commentary is by far one of the best I've ever heard, so much information on the filming, history, and little details, it's an amazing listen and should be listened to by anyone with an interest in film making. Bogdanovic's, however, is pretty bad. It's repetitive to Ebert's and he doesn't seem to bring anything to the table for this except being Orson Welles' friend and a few little anecdotes here or there. It hardly seems like they needed to include both when Bogdanovic tries to give a lot of the same insight as Ebert but doesn't do it nearly as well or as engagingly.

I tend to like director and writer commentaries. They're the most insightful ones. I heard Ebert's one for Dark City, too, and it was very good.

Actor contributions are really hit or miss.

As a general rule, I like them, but quality ranges massively.

Cameron Crowe with a producer or two and his mother on the extended cut of Almost Famous is probably the most purely entertaining one I've ever heard.

The Raid 2 is fucking beast! 

Brick Mansions is nigh unwatchable.  The shitty edits do not do justice to David Belle's parkour skills.  All of his shit really does look like it was done with wires and green screen when it probably wasn't, knowing Belle.

RZA is put on a leesh and isn't allowed to chew up nearly as much scenery as his predecessor, Bibi Nasceri, so all of the bad guys just feel like cardboard cutouts.

And Catalina Denis, while attractive, is no Dany Verissimo.

They could've at least done a re-mix or a mash-up of Funki-Slow Motion for the opening credits, but they didn't do that either.  This movie also manages to mis-use Short Change Hero by The Heavys.

I find almost all of the commentary tracks on Kevin Smith's movies enjoyable, but I still think the best is The Criterion Collection DVD for Armageddon. So amazing. I've talked about it before, but it's pretty much Ben Affleck making fun of the movie and how insanely dumb it is for the whole entire movie, and I seem to remember half of it being done in Billy Bob Thornton's Sling Blade voice...while Billy Bob Thornton is also on the commentary track I believe. I can't believe anyone approved it. It's Ice Cube's "No Vaseline" for commentary tracks.

The commentary track on Dark City is also great.

Oh, and I highly recommend the commentary on Donny Darko just because Kevin Smith and the director, whose name escapes me, make sense out of whatever the fuck it is that is going on in this movie.

Granted, I haven't seen too many of this particular genre, but DONNIE DARKO has to be the most straight-forward "mind fuck" movie ever.

It's pretty straightforward when you listen to the commentary, which is what is most wrong with that movie. To fully understand that it isn't a big piece of shit, you need to watch it with the audio commentary and with these visual cues turned on that I think are only in the special edition.

Yeah, I bought that fucking thing.

As a general rule, I like them, but quality ranges massively.

Cameron Crowe with a producer or two and his mother on the extended cut of Almost Famous is probably the most purely entertaining one I've ever heard.

I tend not to care too much about commentaries but there have been a couple that I really liked.  The one for Karate Kid was fantastic.  So many great little stories and it's just so blatantly obvious that the cast and crew just LOVED working with each other.  They're having a ball on the commentary and it's just great.  Plus you find out that Ralph Machhio got to keep the car from the movie, as it should be.

The other that I really liked was King of Kong.  The director commentary for it adds sooooo much to the movie.  The other one, from a couple of online critics, is just awful.  But the director one makes the movie even better.

Donnie Darko is kind of your 'sophomore year of college' Goonies. If you show it to someone now who didn't see it then, they're probably not going to give a shit.

Like, I loved that movie. But I saw it in that narrow window of DONNIE DARKO IS IMPORTANT that exists before a jet engine fell out of the sky and crushed my love of it.

Granted, I haven't seen too many of this particular genre, but DONNIE DARKO has to be the most straight-forward "mind fuck" movie ever.

It's pretty straightforward when you listen to the commentary, which is what is most wrong with that movie. To fully understand that it isn't a big piece of shit, you need to watch it with the audio commentary and with these visual cues turned on that I think are only in the special edition.

Yeah, I bought that fucking thing.

It's pretty straightforward without listening to the commentary. I'm sure there are a bunch of things Kelly threw in there, but the story itself is simple.