DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

It was a Netflix kind of weekend:

Playing For Keeps - I remember for some reason wanting to see this when I first saw ads.  Maybe because I generally like Gerard Butler?  Maybe.  I dunno.  Anyway, this movie is AWFUL.  Butler plays a former soccer pro trying to rebuild his relationship with his son and ex by being his son's soccer coach.  You can write the entire plot beforehand - conflict with the ex, conflict with the son, losing team becomes good, jerk of a parent, and so on.  There's literally nothing even approaching mediocre in this, let alone good.  And it's not funny.  Meanwhile, what the heck happened to Jessica Biel?  Remember when she used to be hot?  Now she's the 4th hottest woman in this movie (out of 4) - behind Uma Thurman, who I've never thought was good looking.  Time to make some changes, Jess.  Anyway, this movie is just terrible on all levels.  2/10.

The Yards - Marky Mark just got out of prison and is looking for work. Joaquin Phoenix is his cousin's husband and works for a railroad supply company that's a bit ethically challenged.  They visit the yards one night to impose their will on a competitor and things go south.  This is a movie that thinks it's a lot better than it is and seems to be very impressed with itself.  It tries to be some kind of gangster epic or something and never really gets there.  Loaded cast - Wahlberg, Phoenix, Charlize Theron, James Woods, Jessica Lange, etc - but ends up as nothing special.  5/10.

Blue Chips - I recognize that this is not a "great" movie per se but, man, I love this flick.  Nick Nolte plays a virtual clone of Bobby Knight - ironic, since Knight has an extended cameo as himself - as a once-super-successful college basketball coach whose program has fallen down a bit.  He's always been a paragon of integrity but gives into temptation and buys off players in order to get back to the top.  The result is a terrific, fast-paced movie that, while exaggerated a bit for Hollywood, rings very true as an indictment of big-time NCAA basketball.  Lots of real basketball players and coaches in this one - Shaq & Penny Hardaway star, along with former Indiana starter Matt Stover, and there's cameos from Rick Pitino, Bobby Hurley, Calbert Cheaney, Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, and more - and they all do a great job.  It's fun to see Shaq all young and athletic again, destroying guys on a 9-1/2 foot rim.  Nolte is fantastic as well.  I dunno, I just love this movie.  Side note: Man, were the early/mid-90s a great time for basketball movies or what?  All-time classic White Men Can't Jump, Above the Rim, The Basketball Diaries, this one... and probably a few others I'm forgetting (or intentionally ignoring - like Space Jam).  Anyway... 7.5/10.

Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey - Documentary from 2012 charting the selection of Arnel PIneda to join Journey as their new lead singer.  Pineda is a real-life version of the movie Rock Star, literally plucked from a cover band thanks to a video of him singing on Youtube.  The movie covers that process a bit, Pineda's life in the Phillipines before joining Journey, and the band's first tour together.  This is a fun look behind the scenes with everybody in the movie coming across pretty likeable, particularly Pineda who's having the time of his life.  I got a chance to see these guys on the tour covered in the movie and they were awesome.  Anyway, if you're a fan of the band, or rock documentaries in general, this is a good one.  8/10.

I watched Hausu (1977) a bit ago for the first time. YOWZA! I don't know what I watched but it was like nothing I think I've ever seen before! I did enjoy it but I am not sure how to process it. Very interesting film!

It came up too in last October's Halloween movie thread.

Also:

171 days til Halloween Halloween Halloween

Man that would be a great twist...after old Rose tells her story all the crew look at her and say 'so what your telling us is your a mass murderer

Who also refused to make room on the raft for Jack so he could live too.

Rose = Cinema's Greatest Monster.

Sorry but Grandpa Joe from Willie Wonka still holds that title.

• Like 1

Well, Rock Star was loosely based on Tim "Ripper" Owens real life replacing Rob Halford in Judas Priest.

Ya know, I knew that and had forgotten.  Argh.

Cool moment in the documentary - Pineda meeting Jason Scheff, the guy who replaced Peter Cetera in Chicago.  Obviously they have the "guy who replaced* a legend" thing in common and they share a nice moment together.

* - Yes, I'm aware that Journey had two lead singers in between Steve Perry and Arnel Pineda, one of whom was in the band for eight years.

^^^^^ Sonuvabitch!

^^^^ Fuck you both! I have to get up early tomorrow, too!

Hm, hm-hm-hm Halloween, Halloween ...

Hm, hm-hm-hm Halloween *sobs for the next two hours*

• Like 1

Man that would be a great twist...after old Rose tells her story all the crew look at her and say 'so what your telling us is your a mass murderer

Who also refused to make room on the raft for Jack so he could live too.

Rose = Cinema's Greatest Monster.

Sorry but Grandpa Joe from Willie Wonka still holds that title.

OK I need to hear this...

Lays in bed all day while Charlie and his mom toil away. Magically pops out of bed and is dancing around after Charlie gets the Golden Ticket. Makes snide remarks when the other kids get eliminated. Tells Charlie to steal the Fizzy Lifting Drink. Then he tells Charlie to be a vindictive prick and give the Gobstopper to Slugworth. And what's his punishment? Why, he gets to share in the awesomeness of the Chocolate Factory with Charlie. So be a greedy, revenge minded, thieving asshole and get a chocolate factory. Great lesson for kids. If I had a child, I'd rather them watch a Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th film b/c at least the bad guy gets their comeuppance.

• Like 6

Lays in bed all day while Charlie and his mom toil away. Magically pops out of bed and is dancing around after Charlie gets the Golden Ticket. Makes snide remarks when the other kids get eliminated. Tells Charlie to steal the Fizzy Lifting Drink. Then he tells Charlie to be a vindictive prick and give the Gobstopper to Slugworth. And what's his punishment? Why, he gets to share in the awesomeness of the Chocolate Factory with Charlie. So be a greedy, revenge minded, thieving asshole and get a chocolate factory. Great lesson for kids. If I had a child, I'd rather them watch a Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th film b/c at least the bad guy gets their comeuppance.

This is beautiful.  Thank you for sharing. :wub:

I watched Hausu (1977) a bit ago for the first time. YOWZA! I don't know what I watched but it was like nothing I think I've ever seen before! I did enjoy it but I am not sure how to process it. Very interesting film!

Man...I DVR'ed this but accidentally deleted it.   :( 

Watched the bulk of 'Planes' last week because I didn't feel like getting off the couch.  It was...a movie.  I dunno.  It was weird hearing Dane Cook doing all the "Whoa" and "Look out!" animated dialogue.

Also Captain America: The Winter Soldier and liked it.  Chris Evans has a weird sort of uncharismatic charisma that I can't put my finger on.  Pretty baffled that it was directed by the Russo Brothers though it does explain that one cameo pretty well.

That is fucking awesome. It makes me think that we need a thread for movies with an incredibly fucked up subtext.

In that regard, Big is the biggest offender. Tom Hawks is really a child who ends up being sexually assaulted by an older woman, but he thinks it's ok because he's in this husk of an adult body. Meanwhile, he leads his mom on to believe he's been kidnapped and this bullshit goes on for what feels like years. Then, Hanks wants to be a kid again and abandon this woman who is in love with him. He returns to being a kid, but his mother has to be beyond fucked up thinking the worst about her child. That doesn't even touch on the endless amounts of therapy Hanks will require throughout his life. All because of a fucked up magical machine that defines "be careful what you wish for."

• Like 1

Planes is a fun little movie with some great voice work, that has a really dark side and some neat asides about this world where all the citizens are vehicles. My little nephew loves it and I never mind it. It's a great kids movie at its core , (including the dark bits) and that's what Disney cartoons should be. It's a hell of a lot better than fucking Brave, which looked beautiful but was boring. I respect them for trying a Daughter/ Mother movie, but yawn.

Not a movie, but I never exactly got what laws most of the villains on Scooby Doo were breaking. In that respect, the Scooby Gang were pretty annoying and meddlesome

Cop: "So, uh, we're charging you with tresspassing and wearing a mask."

That's like, what, 50 hours community service and a $200 fine? If that.

Wow. Thank God Shaggy and the gang are here to make the world safe.

Not a movie, but I never exactly got what laws most of the villains on Scooby Doo were breaking. In that respect, the Scooby Gang were pretty annoying and meddlesome

Don't forget about those damn Globetrotters as well.

Just added to Netflix, one I've been wanting to watch for awhile but was unwilling to pay more than about 5 bucks to see:

Pain & Gain - Marky Mark is Daniel Lugo, a bodybuilder personal trainer dude who hatches a plot to kidnap one of his rich clients and force him to give him all of his possessions.  The Rock and Anthony Mackie are his bodybuilder compatriots.  This is a black humor movie that's funny and beautifully shot and that's the problem.  See, this is a true story and it adheres to the facts fairly tightly but changes them just enough to turn real life psycopathic killers into goofballs who didn't intend to hurt, let alone kill, anybody.  And that's what makes it messed up.  The movie is enjoyable and entertaining and then you're reminded it's a true story and that these guys really did torture some poor guy for a month and that they really did use a chainsaw to dismember two others and that's just messed up.  So you end up entertained and feeling conflicted about it.  7/10.

• Like 1

Anybody here remember the horror/sci-fi flick PULSE (1988)?  I ended up watching it earlier this year and was -- pardon the pun -- shocked at how good it was.  Basically, it is the story of a family trapped in a house with evil electricity.  That might sound daft, but writer-director Paul Golding pulls it off amazingly well.  I went looking for info on the film and there was none.  So I tracked down Golding and interviewed him about this film and his history (this is his only film).  Some very interesting stuff about his younger years (he was best pals with some guy named George Lucas at USC and they made student films together).  Also, he tells me how PULSE went from being Columbia's big summer release of 1988 to getting dumped on less than 40 screens.  If you want to check it out, here is the link.

http://originalvidjunkie.blogspot.com/2014/05/writer-director-paul-golding-on-giving.html

Malik Bendjelloul, who won an Oscar for Directing Searching for Sugar Man, was found dead at the age of 36.

Now official cause released yet but it does appear to be suicide

Don't forget about those damn Globetrotters as well.

Easy Donald.

• Like 2

I saw Locke a couple of nights ago.  Knew virtually nothing about it going in other than that the entirety of the movie is Tom Hardy in a car, driving somewhere, making and receiving phone calls for 90 minutes.  But by about 5 minutes in, I had a total understanding of what was going on.  It's pretty good, maybe like low-end top 15 for the year level - a good deal better than Buried or Phone Booth.  Not to take away from Hardy's acting (he's very good, having to flip between emotions as he speaks with different people and hitting notes I've never seen from him before), but I'm pretty sure this could have worked almost as well with no visuals and only the audio.  I can't think of another movie that would fit into that category.