DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

You have to authentically and deeply identify with the slacker character for them to work.  You can't fake it, though.  You've got to believe that dropping out and standing against the snobs and the institutions is accomplishing some sort of moral victory.

It seems grossly naive today, so it's hard to recreate that sense if you weren't there.  But if you were in tune with it, then everything they did was funny and awesome. 

Yeah  that makes sense. I'm in my mid thirties, which is just a shade to young to see most of them in the theaters. . . .

We saw PHILOMENA over the weekend.  In the commercials I've seen, it appears to be a follow-up to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel in the "sassy Judi Dench" genre.  It is not.

What it is however, is a compelling condemnation of the old Catholic workhouses/forced adoption programs that have thankfully fallen out of favor in the intervening decades, as seen through one woman's search for her son.  I would strongly recommend it.

For years, I'd heard how Eddie Murphy Raw was amazing. I watched it last night. It wasn't. I barely cracked a smile. The Italian-American skit was funny, but everything else bored me to tears. Is this just one of those "had to be there" moments? Like, it was revolutionary at the time, and just doesn't hold up?

When I saw this back in 87 as a 20-year old, I laughed my ass off. I watched it again about a year ago. Once it gets past the Bill Cosby bit, it becomes deeply unfunny.

We saw PHILOMENA over the weekend.  In the commercials I've seen, it appears to be a follow-up to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel in the "sassy Judi Dench" genre.  It is not.

What it is however, is a compelling condemnation of the old Catholic workhouses/forced adoption programs that have thankfully fallen out of favor in the intervening decades, as seen through one woman's search for her son.  I would strongly recommend it.

You should have heeded my reviews!

Good flick, though.

This discussion is making me wanna rewatch those Eddie Murphy shows.  I laughed all the way through Raw when I saw it back in the day.  I do sense I won't laugh quite so much this time...

If I can sit through Daniel Tosh talk about having sex with hypothetical Brad Pitt babies, then I can sit through Murphy's AIDS material before anyone knew anything about the disease.

Well I never said I was wringing my hands and upset about it.  I'm just saying it lost a lot of it's humor over the years. 

I'm not easily offended.  But I also don't really laugh when I rewatch and hear Eddie Murphy say he doesn't want his woman hanging out with faggots because she'll come home with AIDS on her lips.  And when the doctor tells him he has AIDS, it's impossible because "he's not gay." 

Again, not offended by it.  Just doesn't make me laugh either.

The whole homophobic slant to Eddie comedy is either funny or pitiful now that everyone knows he has a thing for trannies. 

I watched Beverly Hills Cop the other night on Netflix.  It still holds up IMO.  It's a good action/comedy.  2 has its' moments, mostly because of Rosewood (the Chow Yun-Fat impersonation gets bonus points from me). It's something I will still watch when it's on VH1 or TBS and there's nothing else on.  I haven't seen 3 in years but I don't recall it being awful, just basically Eddie on autopilot.  Probably still better than anything he's done in the last 10 years or so.

Bunraku comes on tonight on Showtime.   I was going to grab it from Showtime Anywhere tonight while I was on shift until I saw that it was universally hated and not very good..

It is pretty awful.  I couldn't get through the whole thing.  The acting is atrocious.  It's one of those movies that thinks it's a lot cooler than it actually is.

• Like 1

The whole homophobic slant to Eddie comedy is either funny or pitiful now that everyone knows he has a thing for trannies.

It should also be noted that he had Paul "No, I am not gay at all" Mooney writing for him. Mooney was also his opening act during the "Raw" tour. That within itself is funny.

Now that I think about it, Paul Mooney's stuff on "Race" makes Raw look like a Sinbad Star Search bit.

Bunraku comes on tonight on Showtime.   I was going to grab it from Showtime Anywhere tonight while I was on shift until I saw that it was universally hated and not very good..

It is pretty awful.  I couldn't get through the whole thing.  The acting is atrocious.  It's one of those movies that thinks it's a lot cooler than it actually is.

I actually really liked what they did visually, that whole colourized German expression thing for the sets, for example. But yeah, it is a terrible movie. Took me about 5 sittings over a couple weeks to get through.

Recommended for when you're high enough to want something interesting to look at, but too high to pay attention to plot or acting.

I've had it with these motherfuckin' anti-Face/Off comments in this motherfuckin' thread.

ALSO: My favorite SNL skit of all time is the one where someone (Rock?) is Eddie running a taxi business, driving trannies from location to location. *****

EDIT: It was Tim Meadows.

• Like 3

Chappelle's Show still holds up as does most of his stand-up. He's a nut, but he's fucking awesome.

It amazing that it peaked with the first show, not that it went down much after that. I mean come on, that blind  black white supremacist gimmick isn't being topped in our lifetimes.  . . 

Blind white supremacist was easily the best opening episode for a series ever.

I will say that there's a world of difference between Murphy doing AIDS jokes and Tosh having gay baby sex. One is playing off the fears and prejudices of the times, the other is wink-wink in tone.

I went and saw Robocop after work on a whim fully expecting to hate it and... I really liked it. Could've done without Sam Jackson's constant LOUD TALKING, but that's a minor nitpick.

Might go catch it again once I finally go see The Lego Movie.

• Like 1

Chappelle's Show still holds up as does most of his stand-up. He's a nut, but he's fucking awesome.

It amazing that it peaked with the first show, not that it went down much after that. I mean come on, that blind  black white supremacist gimmick isn't being topped in our lifetimes.  . . 

The best sketch comedy segment I have ever seen.  I was never a HUGE fan of the Chapelle show, but that sketch was literal perfection.