DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Maher's panels are usually pretty good though, since he gets people on both sides on (usually the same though)  But the crowning moment of the show was some righty totally exposing Maddow as a hack.

Watching Titan A.E. since its on HBO Family.  Think it was close to Bluth's last film he was involved in.  Movie is severly underrated movie.  And that voice cast was amazing.

Sorry, but when it comes down to it, Maher's take on religion is actually the most reasonable. If you watch past 15 minutes, he repeatedly says that he doesn't know if there's a God or not. His problem is the people who claim for certain that they know there is, because it means that they have special powers that others lack, which is ridiculous. And he does interview a pastor who's made millions from his congregation (rich man, eye of a needle, etc etc), an anti-gay preacher (I think the same one as in Borat), and as he shoots in front of the Vatican, he asks if this is a place where Jesus would really live. All legitimate points.

It's one thing when someone like Dawkins acts all smug about his position against others, because his is basically the reverse of theirs. But Maher is spot on the money: I don't know and neither do you. It's perfectly acceptable to demean those who believe they have divine insights, or do we still give credence to flat earthers as well?

And as someone who actually saw Maher debate Coulter at Radiocity years back, I can tell you with 100% certainty that Coulter doesn't believe in half the things she says, she says them to move merchandise.

It's hard to know what the likes of Palin and Coulter truly think, because they make so much money on the book circuit, PR trail, etc repeating that stuff. You know they're not going to risk blowing it by saying what they actually believe. Palin, in particular, was known for being pretty reasonable and willing to compromise with democrats in Alaska prior to being thrust into the spotlight in 2008.

Palin doesn't have any set of coherent principles that she sticks to, she's a buzzword of the day character. Coulter is actually a fairly intellectual individual, she doesn't believe half the things she says, but says them to bring in that ca$$$$h money$.

Looking through some older posts on last year's movie comment thread, Zeidler posted about silent movies he'd like to see remade and mentioned The Man Who Laughs. There is actually a 2012 French remake and it's available on Netflix too.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be available on US Netflix.  It is fitting that they appear to have based Gwynplaine's make-up on Ledger's Joker, given the supposed connection between the 1928 Conrad Veidt make-up and Jerry Robinson's original Joker design.

Judging by reviews and people on here, the Lego Movie is the greatest film ever made.

Nah, it's just better than anticipated, and better than a LOT of crap that gets thrown at moviegoers.

I saw it with my daughter and a friend of hers on Saturday.  The technical aspects of the movie were phenominal but most of the jokes were aimed at grown-ups.  My daughter constantly gave me that quizzical, "Oh, that was supposed to be funny?" look during some parts of the movie while the adults laughed hystercially. She enjoyed it overall but it wasn't on the level of Frozen when it came to captivating an audience of all ages.

It's got a nice little message at the end for the modern parent of today that doesn't interact with their kid and it manages to take a rather subversive jab at the evil of social conformity.

The ending is absolutely fucking great.

Clear History - This is basically a Curb movie, and funny as hell. 

I greatly enjoyed it, as well.  I thought the whole plotline of Larry David seducing Kate Hudson was really good

especially as you find yourself going "Why would she love him?" then you get the moment where she goes "What are you crazy?"  It's the kind of moment you need in pretty much every movie where a significantly older man woos a gorgeous much younger woman

Also, it is eligible for the 'DVDVR Best Films of 2013' poll, http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1248-dvdvr-best-of-2013-pimpingdiscussion-thread/ in case you wanted to stop on by!

• Like 1

This Is The End was funny but the bitter atheist inside made me detest the all-too-literal finish. Still, a self-absorbed coke-snorting Michael Cera was worth it. Honestly if I was God I'd know better than to let any of them in, no matter what they did in contrition, given their prior behavior.

Right before the ending hit I honestly thought we were going to get a reveal of Seth and Franco being a gay couple.

Not sure if anyone else felt it but I was convinced that this movie was their way of coming out to the world.

Best thing about that Bound 2 parody they did was that they came off as about 1000x times more convincing as a romantic couple as Kim/Kanye.

• Like 1

Anyone who liked THIS IS THE END should watch THE FP on Netflix Instant immediately.

Cinematographer codirects, other director/writer and lead actor had a cameo as one of the sex cannibals.

If you don't like it, I don't want to hear it, I'll literally think you're a worse person.

• Like 1

We Are Legion, the doc on Anonymous, was really good. I'm surprised how many participated, even masked. Gives a timeline that reminded me of things I'd forgotten about already like Lulzsec and ends right as that NSA monstrosity in Iowa is being built, which makes it pretty prescient. Highly recommended.

Scraylo knows what's up.

I saw Robocop today.  I think a lot of the hate in the reviews is of the WAHHHHHHHHHHH THEY SHOULDNT HAVE REMADE THIS WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH variety.

It's a pretty different movie, and kind of feels more like one of the Marvel movies than the first Robocop, but this is made for a PG13 audience anyway.

If you're upset that they remade Robocop just pretend its a Gray Fox MGS movie instead.  You won't even have to close your eyes.

I had a good time seeing it.  Original was still better but the remake is better than the shitty sequels.

I knew Shia Lebeouf is probably having a breakdown, but I really can't bring myself to feel bad for him. Unlike with say Amanda Bynes. I think it's the Matt Hardy thing where you know someone is deeply troubled, but they come off as such a dick most of the time anyway, it's difficult to work up any sympathy.

I knew Shia Lebeouf is probably having a breakdown, but I really can't bring myself to feel bad for him. Unlike with say Amanda Bynes. I think it's the Matt Hardy thing where you know someone is deeply troubled, but they come off as such a dick most of the time anyway, it's difficult to work up any sympathy.

Nah, fuck that guy. 

• Like 1