DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I'm 90% sure its a work. The best part is that he is far removed from the Indiana Jones franchise.

Of course it's a work. He's a butt hurt little kid that got called out for something and has to WIN instead of show some humility or add something positive to the world. 

Just got back from Robocop as well and really enjoyed it. A completely different take on the basic premise of robot cop. Really, really enjoyed it even if it lacked action in parts.

"A completely different take on the basic premise of robot cop."

This is the greatest review of any film I've ever read in my life. Getting this tattooed on me.

• Like 2

RE: Remakes. I find myself conflicted on all the bad Die Hard sequels. On one hand, they're not good. On the other, if they do stop making them, I'm pretty sure in a couple of years (at most) some studio will decide to reboot the franchise with Chris Pine or Channing Tatum as McClaine. 

I think that people look at blockbusters and see the price tag first, sometimes. They see a shitload of money spent and want it to be a waste so bad that they go in with a negative attitude. If it's a remake, the bad attitude is there already.

Basically John Carter and Lone Ranger ruined it for everyone.

Sure, sometimes they just make shitty movies(see above), but I really do feel like the way you feel going into a movie will have an effect on your opinion of the film. I went into Robocop with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

All the bad blockbusters have serious story problems that no amount of FX money will fix. Shit like Robocop is fundamentally sound and well written for the kind of movie it is, but people have different tastes/are dicks

Just got back from Robocop as well and really enjoyed it. A completely different take on the basic premise of robot cop. Really, really enjoyed it even if it lacked action in parts.

"A completely different take on the basic premise of robot cop."

This is the greatest review of any film I've ever read in my life. Getting this tattooed on me.

The 1924 original still remains the best take on the robotic cop premise.

So if you guys want to watch the worst movie of all time, Killing Season is right up there.

It made 40k at the box office. 12 theaters. WITH DENIRO AND TRAVOLTA IN THE LEADS.

It's cringeworthy. Absolutely horrid. You might want to see it because it's on Netflix.

I don't know what's worse in that movie, Travolta's spray on hair or his Yakov Smirnov accent.

Killing Season was hilariously awful.  I gave it a 3 initially, that may have been too kind.  I can't fathom that there was a point where anybody involved in that movie actually thought it was good.  Seriously.  At least the bartender at the end was really hot.

Just wondering, what's the bigger movie cliche these days?

-Bruce Willis playing a cop

-Morgan Freeman doing a voice over

-Liam Neeson with a gun shooting random goons

-Harrison Ford just wants his family back, dammit!

I would really like if we could being all this stuff together for its own feature film.

I would really like if we could being all this stuff together for its own feature film.

Its got to Morgan Freeman, by a landslide

I watched That's My Boy with Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg.  This is the first time I've actually found Andy Samberg funny and it was nice to see Vanilla Ice(!) and Todd Bridges parody themselves and it actually be funny.

I don't give a fuck what anybody says, I love Sandler movies.  Are they sophomoric and juvenile?  Yes they are, but I can't imagine every movie I watch having to be great or deep-thinking or award-winning.  

Regarding Harrison Ford, I've been thinking he was just a lazy actor for a long while now who never looked like he enjoyed what he was doing. And then I watched 42 last night and Goddamn he does a good job as Branch Rickey and he actually looks like he's having fun too.

Regarding Harrison Ford, I've been thinking he was just a lazy actor for a long while now who never looked like he enjoyed what he was doing. And then I watched 42 last night and Goddamn he does a good job as Branch Rickey and he actually looks like he's having fun too.

Was this that good?  I saw one scene and it seemed like a really watered-down hokied-up version of the hard conversations Robinson and Rickey must have actually had.  It had a network t.v. movie vibe and I switched it off, but now I'm wondering.