DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Thank god someone else said it, because I wasn't going to stick my neck out for this, but the new Robocop doesn't look like the shit sandwich one would assume. But I also have no attachment to the originals (saw each of them once years back), so that might be a factor.

The new Robocop is elevated by Michael Keaton.

Honestly though, it doesn't look that bad.

You prayers have been answered via OUR ROBOCOP REMAKE. This thing is honestly pretty fun: 

Saw The Lego Movie tonight. Yeah, it was pretty spectacular. It's been a long time since I've smiled that much while watching a movie. It has the the same level and combination of charm, fun, and heart that the best Pixar movies have.

Holy hell it was good. 

I'm hoping this is the right forum for this, because sometimes "2014 Movie Omnibus" and "2014 Casting/Coming Attractions/Et Cetera" have me a bit wonky-eyed:

I know what movie is "Zombi."

And I know that there's a "Zombi 2," which is actually what we know as "Zombi."

Then, there's Zombi's 3, 4, and 5.

But in compiling a little journal-via-movie-guide of my own film collection, I noticed that a number of my films carried an alternate title of, like, "Boxer's Omen" was also known as "Zombi 10."  "The Calamari Wrestler" is also known as "Zombi 39" as a bootleg title.

I imagine that this is a serial rip-off to somehow allege that "Zombi" is this long running series of films, to dupe the kinds of foreign film fans in a manner that the Asylum does with shit like, "Transmorphers."

That being said ... is there any cohesive catalogue of all these alleged "Zombi" films?  I've at least figured out 1-5, 10 and 39 ...

Okay I just popped in the movie to watch that particular scene (it's the one right after the quinceanera party right?) and like I said it's shot with the shaky over the shoulder cam and not the hidden camera stuff.

The next scene, however, is a mix between 3d person camera and Kendrick's character POV. There are 3 shots, one from her POV recording Gyllenhaal on the bed, another by the 3rd person camera showing  her with the camcorder on her hands and the next one is her speaking directly to the camcorder.

Anyway, I don't think that's a big deal and I never found it distracting or "immersion breaker" during my first viewing.

I'll take your word for it on the sex scene.  I'm not gonna rewatch just to double-check you.  I just remember that they didn't stick with the gimmick and that it bugged me, with that scene sticking with me for some reason.  Either way, not a bad movie, just not as good as I'd heard/hoped.

I'm hoping this is the right forum for this, because sometimes "2014 Movie Omnibus" and "2014 Casting/Coming Attractions/Et Cetera" have me a bit wonky-eyed:

I know what movie is "Zombi."

And I know that there's a "Zombi 2," which is actually what we know as "Zombi."

Then, there's Zombi's 3, 4, and 5.

But in compiling a little journal-via-movie-guide of my own film collection, I noticed that a number of my films carried an alternate title of, like, "Boxer's Omen" was also known as "Zombi 10."  "The Calamari Wrestler" is also known as "Zombi 39" as a bootleg title.

I imagine that this is a serial rip-off to somehow allege that "Zombi" is this long running series of films, to dupe the kinds of foreign film fans in a manner that the Asylum does with shit like, "Transmorphers."

That being said ... is there any cohesive catalogue of all these alleged "Zombi" films?  I've at least figured out 1-5, 10 and 39 ...

Here's what I know: 

Zombi was the Italian title for Dawn of the Dead. When Lucio Fulci made Zombie, they called it Zombi 2 to cash in on that title. Zombi 3 was made with about 60% participation from Fulci before he left the production, which was finished by Bruno Mattei. Zombie 4 was another cash-in with no relation like the last film and was titled After Death in Italy. Zombi 5 was yet another cash-in originally titled Killing Birds. Joe D'Amato's Absurd (sequel to The Grim Reaper/Anthropophagus) was referred to as Zombie 6: Monster Hunter in some releases. Zombie '90: Extreme Pestilence was also titled Zombi 7 in one US release. Beyond that I haven't the slightest. It's obvious that from the very start the title "Zombi" has been used to pull the wool over buyers' eyes. 

But you probably know all that shit already. I had no idea about the 10 and 39 ones!

• Like 1

Jon Lovett is posting some old court documents from the original case with Dylan Farrow on Twitter. And, yeah, it looks very damaging to Allen. Notably, the part where he swore to investigators he'd never been in the crawl space where the abuse occurred only for them to find a bunch of his fingerprints.

Anyway, guilty or not, the real irony here is that all this kicked off because the Golden Globes decided to give him a lifetime achievement award. Which he didn't even want, or bother attending the ceremony for.

I will third the love for THE LEGO MOVIE. Definitely recommend it for anyone with kids.

I especially loved the final act, and it being all about

how adults can suck all the fun out of kids stuff by taking it too seriously.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

• Like 1

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/opinion/sunday/woody-allen-speaks-out.html

Allen's response to the allegations...is, eh, not great. Especially since it mostly consists of taking shots at Farrow.

I also love that, when talking about the fact that his son might not be his, his response is "What about all the cash I'm owed in child support?"

I imagine the whole thing is going to be contrasted with the various amount of court documents that can contradict nearly everything he claims.

Ok, I just watched Prisoners (2013) and I'm still not sure, if I just watched a good movie or a shitty movie.

I'm not even going into the whole torture debate and whether it was justified or not or whether I would have done the same thing or not. That wasn't even the worst part of the movie.

The worst part of the movie was the absolutely terrible police work. For the entire first half of the movie they only had one suspect and you tell me, they never bothered to check the house he was living in? Or if they did check the house they must have done a very poor job, because the children were right there. Clues must have been all over the place. They also never bothered at all to investigate the "aunt", after their suspect turned out to have the intellect of a 10 year old? Surely five minutes of talking to her would have revealed the women as a psycho. She's been abducting children for decades. Or they could have done five minutes of background check, which surely would have revealed Alex Jones and his aunt are not actually related. But the worst part comes at the end, when the police dug holes everywhere around the house searching for bodies, but they don't notice the huge cave right next to the house, where a guy is sitting the whole day just whistling away.

Sure the movie had a lot of good parts, too, and the acting was great, but that was just too much for me to swallow.

• Like 1

Except that there was never enough to, you know, actually charge him with something.

The state's attorney had stated that he had probable cause to go through with it, but didn't because of the fragile state of Mia's daughter.

A cop-out if I ever heard one. ALL child molestation victims are in a fragile state of mind, if that was an acceptable reason not to prosecute, no D.A. would ever be able to convict any child molester.

At this point, all it is is he said she said claims. I'm not even playing devil's advocate here, and I can count the number of Allen films I've seen on one hand, and the ones I actually enjoyed on a finger or two. I'd even go so far to say that from the few interviews I've seen with Woody over the years, coupled with his disturbing relationship with his current wife, were you to tell me that the man was a sexual predator, I wouldn't be the shock of the century to me. But levying the charges of child molester  against someone is really heavy, it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Now, were other alleged victims come forward a la the Sandusky and Seville incidents, this would be a different matter. But it's not, it's only one party. And "false memories" have been proven to exist, if you think it's not possible for a parent to convince a young child that an event took place, you've never dealt with fucked up parents before.