DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

People should just watch Boardwalk Empire instead. It's basically Sin City and/or Gangster Squad for people who can read.

Yeah, but you have to watch 5-6 episodes for something to happen, at least 'Gangster Squad' gives you what you want cool dudes, hot girl, lots of guns and big ass shoot-outs in fedoras and suits all in a convenient 113 minute package.  You could watch 200 minutes of 'Boardwalk Empire' and not see a single shoot-out.  I don't think anyone is going to 'Gangster Squad' for historical accuracy, taut dialogue, intricate plots or even grade 'A' acting...it's just for seeing Ryan Gosling be suave, Josh Brolin be tough, Emma Stone be pretty and Sean Penn be a bad guy.

The acting wasn't bad, really... Just, god damn the squeezed in every cliche they could find.

Yeah, the acting was solid but it's a very forgettable movie. I watched it two months ago, and I forgot like 80% of it already. I just know that Sean Penn chewed up a lot of scenery as Mickey Doyle. Also, Robert Patrick was good.

Sean Penn gives one of the silliest, most over-the-top deliveries of a completely unnecessary line of dialogue that I almost believe it's an inside joke from production.  When the Gangster Squad (BTW, that's a terrible title for a movie or hit squad), infiltrate his mansion and he comes back early and it's supposed to be all tense, Penn walks in and his maid hands him some ice cream and he goes "HAWT fudge sundaaaaaaaaye" and it's so silly and stupid and completely stuck with my brother and I for weeks after seeing it, to the point he would answer phonecalls from me by saying "HAWT fudge sundaaaaaye".

Also, no one mentioned the single silliest scene in the film: a squad of guys totally off-the-books being tasked with taking down a notorious gangster and his band of murderers, who decide to celebrate breaking up one of Cohen's deals by holding a daytime barbeque in broad daylight which they all attend with their families AND the chief of police!

And I hope everyone in here talking about favourite films of the year are fully intending to vote in the DVDVR 'Best Films of 2013' poll.  Don't worry if you haven't seen enough, or seen everything, just vote!

The surprising thing to be about that movie is that the adverts made me think it was a Ryan Gosling movie, but he wasn't seen after the 45-minute mark. Bradley Cooper was in more of the movie.

Might want to 'Spoiler' tag that.

The first act of Place Beyond the Pines was fantastic.  I was under the impression that it would be a cat and mouse story about Cooper's character chasing after Gosling's over the course of 15 years or so and wish that's what it ended up as.  The second act came off as a cliched "one good cop" storyline from a police procedural.  The third act was well done but I just couldn't bring myself to care about what happened to either of those kids.

I dunno about 200 minute thing with Boardwalk Empire. Maybe it's because I just binge watched but there are points in every season (ESPECIALLY season 2) where you can't go 20 minutes without a significant death. I think that was probably one main problem after season 1. They just start killing off character-after-character. It's actually refreshing to see characters actually survive past two episodes.

I dunno about 200 minute thing with Boardwalk Empire. Maybe it's because I just binge watched but there are points in every season (ESPECIALLY season 2) where you can't go 20 minutes without a significant death. I think that was probably one main problem after season 1. They just start killing off character-after-character. It's actually refreshing to see characters actually survive past two episodes.

Ah, okay, I gave up somewhere in the first season when it seemed like nothing was happening and based by comment on the first half of that season and whenever I happened to tune in at various points in other seasons.

The fuck?

One of Chalky's guys got lynched, Margaret's husband got killed, a prostitute got her faced slashed up, and a Klansman got his finger sliced cleaned off by Chalky. Plus, Jimmy Darmody shot up some people. That was in the first four episodes. Plus, Paz de la Huerta's ENTIRE vagina was featured prominently in the first three episodes. That itself is SOMETHING. Probably deserved an EP credit (along with Patricia Arquette's chest in season 4).

• Like 1

Patricia Arquette's bosom should always have its own credit. 

The middle act of Pines was very Copland which was why I dug it. Also, I was just impressed they kept moving things along like they did. The kids part might've been the weakest but it spoke a lot towards the sins of the fathers.

The surprising thing to be about that movie is that the adverts made me think it was a Ryan Gosling movie, but he wasn't seen after the 45-minute mark. Bradley Cooper was in more of the movie.

Might want to 'Spoiler' tag that.

My bad.  I didn't think I was  spoiling anything because I didn't talk about the plot.

How can you tell that Jordan Belfort had too much money and shitty taste? His IMDB page lists him as executive producer on 8 movies, the highest rated has a 5.2 rating, and two of them were Hulk Hogan vehicles - Santa With Muscles and The Secret Agent Club.

How can you tell that Jordan Belfort had too much money and shitty taste? His IMDB page lists him as executive producer on 8 movies, the highest rated has a 5.2 rating, and two of them were Hulk Hogan vehicles - Santa With Muscles and The Secret Agent Club.

Pretty sure he's banned from the securities industry for life, so he's gotta chase those high returns somewhere.

Watched Love Actually for the first time in ages.

Yeah, Keira Knightley and Rick Grimes come off as pretty terrible people. You don't kiss your husband's best friend no matter what the circumstances. Just asking for trouble there.

This explains a lot. Only someone out of their mind on crack cocaine could actually think a Hulk Hogan movie is worth investing in.

You're telling me that if you saw a book, like a fiction book, at Barnes & Noble, and you opened to the table of contents and saw:

Chapter 1: The Secret Agent Club

Chapter 2: Blood Money

Chapter 3: Assault on Dome 4

Chapter 4: Santa with Muscles

Chapter 5: Prey of the Jaguar

Chapter 6: The Elevator

Chapter 7: Skeletons

Chapter 8: Firestorm

You're telling me you don't buy that fucking book?  I really really feel like I'd like to try writing that book, but I don't think I can live up to that outline right up there.

Because if you think about it, all that guy did is try to buy that book.  It's just that, it cost him way more than a book because it's not a book.  It's an impossible beautiful dream.

• Like 2

Ah, okay, I gave up somewhere in the first season when it seemed like nothing was happening and based by comment on the first half of that season and whenever I happened to tune in at various points in other seasons.

Once Gyp Rosseti shows up at the start of season 3, Boardwalk Empire essentially turns into a Frank Miller graphic novel. Only much smarter and without the women-hating. 

Once Gyp Rosseti shows up at the start of season 3, Boardwalk Empire essentially turns into a Frank Miller graphic novel. Only much smarter and without the women-hating. 

Overhead weiner shots via Tim Van Patten FTW

• Like 1