DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Heeeey, the website soundonsight.org, has posted my first column for them today. It's a look at the visual elements of Antonioni's Red Desert: http://www.soundonsight.org/antonionis-red-desert/

It's the first time someone has actually wanted to publish something I've written on film and I'm proud of it.

• Like 7

Looking through upcoming blu ray releases and I'm finding out that that Oldboy remake actually got made, came out and had Josh Brolin in it. This is dumber than that Rocky VS Raging Bull movie.

Yeah, I never realized how much of a bomb it was. It came out at and charted at like #17.

I said this in the Box Office thread, but I pray to God this stops the studios from remaking the rest of the Vengeance trilogy. Unless you have someone (star or director) attached who is an unmitigated box office draw, there is no reason from a financial standpoint to redo those movies.

I said this in the Box Office thread, but I pray to God this stops the studios from remaking the rest of the Vengeance trilogy. Unless you have someone (star or director) attached who is an unmitigated box office draw, there is no reason from a financial standpoint to redo those movies.

Would, say, George Clooney have been a better choice? How would *that* film have turned out?

Would, say, George Clooney have been a better choice? How would *that* film have turned out?

Clooney wouldn't do though. But as I said, from a financial standpoint, Josh Brolin isn't going to anchor in cash for a hard R-rated movie.

The acting wasn't bad, really... Just, god damn the squeezed in every cliche they could find.

Yeah, the acting was solid but it's a very forgettable movie. I watched it two months ago, and I forgot like 80% of it already. I just know that Sean Penn chewed up a lot of scenery as Mickey Doyle. Also, Robert Patrick was good.

The acting wasn't bad, really... Just, god damn the squeezed in every cliche they could find.

Yeah, the acting was solid but it's a very forgettable movie. I watched it two months ago, and I forgot like 80% of it already. I just know that Sean Penn chewed up a lot of scenery as Mickey Doyle. Also, Robert Patrick was good.

That seems be in line with my few memories of it as well.

The Place Beyond the Pines was really good as I expected, just not in the ways I expected. It might be the last year, big time sleeper crime film. There were points at the start where I was going to give up on it but if you stay with it... damn.

It was in my top five for 2013. Slow start but picked up something fierce towards the middle.

I almost just watched that, but somehow wound up at A Good Day to Die Hard and now Safe House.

I started Last Temptation, which I loved in college, but gave up surprisingly quickly in favor of Die Hard.