DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APRIL 2024

On 4/3/2024 at 7:56 PM, Technico Support said:

It's not like Honky Tonk Man was going after Hogan on the reg based on some #1 contender status granted him by the IC belt.

And yet, an Apter mag was pushing an angle that when Honky was briefly in WCW, back in later '94, he was mad at Jimmy Hart (who was with Hogan at the time) that Hart was never trying to get Honky a shot at Hogan's WWF title when Honky was the IC-champion! Obviously, none of this was ever part of on-air storyline, but the kayfabe story was out there at the time.

Edited by Shartnado
Needs more Space...
  • Like 2

The worst thing Punk ever did was choke Jack Perry in London which inadvertently led to him being pushed as some sort of outlaw and the next likely member of the new Elite with fucking Okada of all people.

I love ya Punk, but goddamnit. Throw chairs at a Young Buck all you want, let your friend cosplay as a zombie and eat Omega’s arm, but you do NOT put the wrestling world in a position where Jack Perry is a key player.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If it’s the real thing I can’t see how it benefits AEW in any way, even if it shows Punk is completely in the wrong what do they stand to gain? 

I can’t imagine a boss or head booker of any other company doing this but again I have to wait and see if it’s the real deal. 

Edited by peterien
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, peterien said:

If it’s the real thing I can’t see how it benefits AEW in any way, even if it shows Punk is completely in the wrong what do they stand to gain? 

I can’t imagine a boss or head booker of any other company doing this but again I have to wait and see if it’s the real deal. 

Controversy Creates Cash innit?

The Online Discourse~! leading into Mania was all about Punk and WWE firing shots at AEW, and wrestlers who WWE was wooing that signed with AEW instead. So therefore, trying to capitalise on that and pop a TV rating off the back of it, that's just good business sense.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, peterien said:

It pops a rating when they badly need one popped, helps them redebut Perry, and if they do it right (big if), puts needed heat on a very cold FTR vs Bucks IV. Maybe more importantly, we’re in between nights 1 and 2 of Mania, and I woke up to everyone talking about this instead.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

They should show the real footage but with hilarious sound effects added.

Seriously though, if they're advertising that they'll show the footage, they should show it. My first thought was I'd be surprised if they could do it without Punk coming after them with lawyers.

• Like 1

Didn’t Punk do a podcast last week where he *shock* painted himself as the victim?  I’m assuming this is AEW’s response to that.  I wouldn’t mind if the footage and whatever is said about it the footage puts an end to Punk the Outlaw Folk Hero.  Probably won’t happen though. I’d bet Punk could be on camera punting babies at Jack Perry & clubbing seals and fans would still make excuses for him.  He wears t-shirts & shouts slogans, y’know.  Gotta be a great guy.

if it’s just a pr stunt to pop a rating, welp, it’s one or the few things the company could do this weekend to draw attention away from WWE, but it could backfire.  I kinda expect the tape to leave enough wiggle room for fans to defend Punk and Tony & the Bucks and whoever telling their side probably isn’t going to sway many people either.  It maybe should, but probably won’t.  

Be interesting to see how this shakes out. I’m curious about the footage but I think airing it reeks of desperation and is something a bitter teenager would do to prove he’s right, so I don’t plan to invest two hours in AEW just for that.  I probably won’t spend five minutes browsing the Dynamite thread or Meltzer’s recap, for that matter.  Immature sh*t like this is one of several reasons I rarely watch wrestling anymore. At this point, AEW & the Jacksons will be no worse off if they stop giving Punk the attention he desperately wants.  Just act like an adult and move on.

edit: if it’s a bait and switch, the part of Punk should definitely be played by Colt Cabana.  Or CP Munk.  I would probsbly invest a few min in that.

Edited by The Old-Fashioned Gamer
  • Like 1

I’ll wait until it airs to see whether it is fun or dumb. Here’s potential outcomes:

- AEW & TK look like goobers

- It’s somehow funny with the Young Bucks doing commentary 

- It’s awkward and CM Punk looks like Mirko Cro Crop 

- CM Punk was punked out by Jungle Boy lol and it negates his Ariel interview

- It was a casual light scuffle and everyone is a baby bird

- Samoa Joe is still champion and none of this matters.

If anything, this could take away my belief that Jungle Boy is single-handedly responsible for Punk leaving. It could reinforce too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Discretion is the better part of valor

There is no valor in this carny world.

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It’s clearly a heel troll job by Young Bucks. Look at the graphic. It says nothing of Punk and Perry.

if this is a twist bit it will backfire terribly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope its real footage with The Bucks doing in-character commentary over it. Apparently there is no NDA at all related to the incident so nothing Punk can do about it, as long as they don't so severely edit it that they show the events too far out of context. I'm sure AEW's lawyers have that part covered. Petty TK is the best, and anyone saying he "shouldn't do this" after what Punk said last week is no fun at all.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

They should show the real footage but with hilarious sound effects added.

Seriously though, if they're advertising that they'll show the footage, they should show it. My first thought was I'd be surprised if they could do it without Punk coming after them with lawyers.

Batman '66 style. Pow! Biff!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1