DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

21 minutes ago, JLowe said:

So I drove through part of Sussex County, Delaware today and yeah, a couple of rednecks from there makes total sense.

Oh hell yes.  It's not "north and south," it's "urban and rural."  I lived in a more rural town in northern Maryland for a while and saw a pickup flying the confederate flag.  That's when I knew it was time to move.  Shit, if you drive from where I live (DC suburbs) to the Maryland seashore, you'll see some proper Deliverance type shit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Oh hell yes.  It's not "north and south," it's "urban and rural."  I lived in a more rural town in northern Maryland for a while and saw a pickup flying the confederate flag.  That's when I knew it was time to move.  Shit, if you drive from where I live (DC suburbs) to the Maryland seashore, you'll see some proper Deliverance type shit.

Oh, I know, I spent 30 years in Austin, the “blueberry in the tomato soup”. But I also sorta thought Delaware was so small that it was mostly all suburbs/cities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Oh, I know, I spent 30 years in Austin, the “blueberry in the tomato soup”. But I also sorta thought Delaware was so small that it was mostly all suburbs/cities.

Hell nah man.  Between Maryland's eastern shore and the parts of Delaware you need to go through to get to the Delmarva beaches, it's some real January 6 country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm sick to fucking death of reading the word "tRiBaLiSm"

Would it be better to cut out that term and instead say it is our cross-cultural worship of competition, which is bone deep and not only is the reason wrestling exists but why our civilization is suffering a slow and ignominious death? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

There is absolutely NO age limit on stupidity, especially in this country.

Oh, to be sure. But the younger an idiot is, the more likely it is that they'll grow out of it. Old idiots have a high probability of being idiots for life.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Sentence structure, and commas, are both incredibly important.

Okay, I laughed at Moe's joke. But if we're being serious: English speakers don't generally say "married with" to indicate spousehood. Sammy Guevara is married to Tay Melo, not married with Tay Melo.

And note how "married with children" was a common phrase long before it became the name of a sitcom, and it generally implies neither pedophilia nor bigamy.

You could make an argument that adding a comma after "married" would be advisable, as it reduces the risk of misunderstanding. But there was nothing actually wrong with the sentence as written.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Hell nah man.  Between Maryland's eastern shore and the parts of Delaware you need to go through to get to the Delmarva beaches, it's some real January 6 country.

Describes most blue states pretty well

4 hours ago, Ace said:

Okada's contract is for 3 years at 4.5 a year. He did not negotiate with WWE.

GIVE HIM THE CODYVATOR!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Okay, I laughed at Moe's joke. But if we're being serious: English speakers don't generally say "married with" to indicate spousehood. Sammy Guevara is married to Tay Melo, not married with Tay Melo.

And note how "married with children" was a common phrase long before it became the name of a sitcom, and it generally implies neither pedophilia nor bigamy.

You could make an argument that adding a comma after "married" would be advisable, as it reduces the risk of misunderstanding. But there was nothing actually wrong with the sentence as written.

I take Every chance to use my Randy. 

7 hours ago, username said:

If legit that Okada contract is almost indefensible from AEW... but screw that go get that bag Okada!

It’s not your money, so, who gives a shit?

Why are wrestling fans so obsessed with the financials of billionaires?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

PWTorch reports that Kevin Kelly has been let go by AEW. His recent social media comments against Ian Riccaboni over the weekend led to his termination.
Additionally, Kelly's on-air performances were deemed below par within AEW, with Tony Schiavone stepping in to assume the lead play-by-play role a few months into Collision's run, a move reportedly supported by Tony Khan.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Daddy Magic would be an excellent addition and huge improvement to the Saturday Night booth.

But he's just starting his DDP-esque push. I'd love some more Menard on commentary, but I'd love to see him get a big moment in the ring before then. Guy has been a savant on the mic since coming to AEW.

• Like 5

I’d be down for that, and the Canadian tour would add fuel to any Magic fire, but the Killswitch loss seemed to indicate a Peoples Champion run is unlikely. I’m a huge fan but his money is with his mouth. I’d like to see him with a regular weekly Color gig (he’s too good not to have one), but I also want him as Heenan to Garcia’s Bockwinkel. Even more so when they find their collective way back to the dark side. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:
PWTorch reports that Kevin Kelly has been let go by AEW. His recent social media comments against Ian Riccaboni over the weekend led to his termination.
Additionally, Kelly's on-air performances were deemed below par within AEW, with Tony Schiavone stepping in to assume the lead play-by-play role a few months into Collision's run, a move reportedly supported by Tony Khan.

I support this fully. We're not gonna get into it here, but in addition to being the shits in the booth, he's also a nutbar. And on a "win/win" note, I'm always beyond overjoyed to hear TS open the show with "You are looking LIVE at..."

1 hour ago, Krone said:

But he's just starting his DDP-esque push. I'd love some more Menard on commentary, but I'd love to see him get a big moment in the ring before then. Guy has been a savant on the mic since coming to AEW.

Hard agree, but I do love him in the booth. Rib tape is to the underdog babyface, as not shaving for a week is to the 'injured' babyface - always a surefire visual cue for sympy

• Like 4

The most realistic angle AEW has ever run is Angelo Parker getting a new punk rock girlfriend and just immediately ditching all his own friends.

"Sorry I couldn't help out when Killswitch was beating your asses, Ruby asked me to work the door at her friend's basement show"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

I remember in the old days, there was a rumor that WBD wanted AEW to have less 'surprise' debuts and rather wanted them announced, because then maybe more people would watch if their favorite wrestler was going to appear. The way that AEW doing it now is really weird and I don't understand how it benefits the promotion. Someone "leaked" that Okada would be on Dynamite so some people knew, but why not announce it in advance? Same with Sasha, all the online people know she is appearing but why not make it a big press release? Billboards in Boston with Sasha's face on it, telling everyone she will be at the show? Not every wrestling fan is online and reads wrestling news, and while TK heavily implied it with his announcement last month, why not just hype it properly? I don't think there was a mention on Dynamite at all, even a hint, of what should be a big deal to AEW.

I understand there are times the complete surprise pop works, and I like it for PPVs (for example when Bryan Danielson showed up), but doing *wink wink* debuts for Dynamite seems silly. Sasha and Okada are two wrestlers that deserve a proper (minimally) weeks-long build-up both on TV and equally importantly local advertising, not every wrestler debut has to be under the radar or non-advertised.

• Like 4