DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

9 hours ago, The Great ML said:

I remember in World Class, there was a scheduled match with Mike Von Erich and Wild Bill Irwin. As they were being announced/introduced in the ring, David Manning runs in and says “we have to get Terry Gordy and Killer Khan out here NOW. They’ve started their match, fighting in the dressing room. Sorry guys, your match will have to wait later.”

See that's the kinda stuff missing from wrestling today. Especially if it's a hate filled feud. It should be they have to be held back from each other in the back. Lots of security and stuff. I never understood how people in that situation in wrestling just come down the isle and then start with a lock up when the bell rings. 

• Like 2

At some point I thought that if I ever ran an indy, there would be two guys whose gimmick was they had a never-ending match. They'd fight out to the ring, go for a couple minutes, then brawl back behind the curtain. Repeat on every show. Now that I think about it, that's basically what the 24/7 title was.

It just occurred to me that it's Wrestlemania season and I can't think of any mention of the Hall of Fame yet. Haven't they usually announced a name or two by now? Maybe with all the unscrupulous shit going on with the company they decided to table it this year?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Someone did this in WCW im almost certain. It might've been some combination of that DDP/Raven/Saturn/Benoit/Kanyon stretch of the US title scene. It could've easily just as well been some dying days Norman Smiley HC title stuff, but I am near certain it was done.

I also thought this happened in ECW with Tommy Dreamer and Brian Lee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

On the latest WOR with Dave & Garrett they were talking about a Russo booked SummerSlam where the main event was up in the air and constantly changing.  As they were talking I thought 99 which was the triple threat with Austin/HHH/Foley and there were rumors at the time that it was supposed to be Austin and HHH 1v1 but they put Foley in so Jesse Ventura could raise a babyface's hand (and to be the transition champ to HHH because Austin was being bitchy about losing to him)....but Dave ruled that out, says it wasn't 1999.

They (mostly Dave) settled on 1998, which can't possibly be true.  In my memory that Highway to Hell went for a long time and there was never any doubt that Austin and Taker was the main event.

Sooooo....if the story is actually true....it has to be 1997, right?  Wasn't Bret vs. Shawn on the books for that show at one point just like KOTR?  Stuff was changing constantly that year

Yeah, it feels like 99 (there were also the rumours of having Chyna in the main event too), but also was Russo in WCW by then?

Agreed it was a set main event in 1998, was Russo even booking by mid-1997? 

• Like 1

98 was Highway to Hell, which they had been building since before KOTE. Russo left Summer/Fall 99 to my recollection. Didn't the post SummerSlam stuff dovetail into Show's first title win?

James

11 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

On the latest WOR with Dave & Garrett they were talking about a Russo booked SummerSlam where the main event was up in the air and constantly changing.  As they were talking I thought 99 which was the triple threat with Austin/HHH/Foley and there were rumors at the time that it was supposed to be Austin and HHH 1v1 but they put Foley in so Jesse Ventura could raise a babyface's hand (and to be the transition champ to HHH because Austin was being bitchy about losing to him)....but Dave ruled that out, says it wasn't 1999.

They (mostly Dave) settled on 1998, which can't possibly be true.  In my memory that Highway to Hell went for a long time and there was never any doubt that Austin and Taker was the main event.

Sooooo....if the story is actually true....it has to be 1997, right?  Wasn't Bret vs. Shawn on the books for that show at one point just like KOTR?  Stuff was changing constantly that year

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Yeah, it feels like 99 (there were also the rumours of having Chyna in the main event too), but also was Russo in WCW by then?

Agreed it was a set main event in 1998, was Russo even booking by mid-1997? 

100% it was WWF SummerSlam 1999. The #1 contender for the WWF Championship went pass the parcel on RAW from Chyna to Mankind to a draw between Triple H and Mankind.  Steve Austin vs. Mankind vs. Triple H was made for SummerSlam 1999 with Jesse Ventura the guest referee. Mankind won the WWF Championship with Steve Austin doing a rare clean job. The rumour was Steve Austin didn't want to job to Triple H and Jesse Ventura to raise a face's hand. This was Mankind's third and last WWF Championship. Triple H the next night on RAW beat Mankind for his first.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

It would be something if the booking shenanigans with Cody wasn’t about making Cody a hotter babyface but it was about HHH trying a political hit on the Rock

Conrad Thompson has floated the theory that HHH wanted to undercut Rock’s politicking by booking Cody to win the Rumble to generate fan backlash. Big if true!

On 2/9/2024 at 5:57 PM, Cobra Commander said:

wrestling feels like a place where you'd have Christian feud with a shitty dad wrestler and the shitty dad wrestler would be the babyface

What’s Sandman up to?

If a Wrestler from the 90s says another wrestler is a great father, you have to bear in mind what their basis for comparison is.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Conrad Thompson has floated the theory that HHH wanted to undercut Rock’s politicking by booking Cody to win the Rumble to generate fan backlash. Big if true!

Strange bedfellows if true, given the history between the two.

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

It would be something if the booking shenanigans with Cody wasn’t about making Cody a hotter babyface but it was about HHH trying a political hit on the Rock

Perhaps but I knew Rock would be self aware enough to turn heel like he did when the fans turned on him. He did at the start of his WM 18 and his SS 02 match vs Brock. Rock seems like he enjoys being heel an he understands the wrestling universe is different than the rest of the entertainment world. Him being heel isn’t going to affect his drawing power in wrestling. Sure it stopped his original plan of finally blowing off his match vs Roman but they can wait another year plus the iron is still hot with Cody so they should strike. I personally had to explain to someone this morning that doesn’t watch wrestling currently why Rock was getting boo’s so that’s a good sign that this is working. If it is a political hit, I don’t think Rock is phased by it. He’s going to continue to be involved in WWE beyond Mania to be able to throw his weight around too politically and the difference is that this time around there’s no Vince to go to that’s over them. I think Rock is having fun either way and I think Hunter even said he is happy to have another wrestler in an executive position with him at that level

• Like 1

Is Dwayne approaching Vince levels of "unsuccessful in everything outside of wrestling"? while he obviously gets paid very well, when was the last "good" movie he was in? Are his things like his booze or athletic wear a success? Young Rock certainly was not.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is Dwayne approaching Vince levels of "unsuccessful in everything outside of wrestling"? while he obviously gets paid very well,

Fuck no, cause he's been extremely successfully for two plus decades in films. What actor at that level you know hasn't had a bomb or two? 

People are getting very carried away with this.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Fuck no, cause he's been extremely successfully for two plus decades in films. What actor at that level you know hasn't had a bomb or two? 

People are getting very carried away with this.

He's had a pretty reliable 3-to-1 or higher ratio of box office to budget on his movies before his movies even get to home releases, and that doesn't even count his involvement in the Fast and the Furious franchise.

They're not critically acclaimed, but how many action movies are?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1