DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

My hypothesis is that Dave is a lot like one of my close friends where his bit was to always be extremely literal as a goof. That was back in high school. We’re both 43 now. He’s done it for so long that now that’s just how he is. It’s like a bad habit he can’t break and we just go along with it.

• Like 2

I realize an obsession with Seinfeld used to be one of the board's running jokes, but did we really just spend over a page mocking a guy for only having a vague sense of how long Seinfeld has been off the air?

• Like 1

I wasn't mocking Dave in a malicious manner. His quirks are a part of why I listen to and read his work. 

I also want to point out that ECW made a point of having a show when Seinfeld ended and they haven't existed as a company for well over 15 years.

30 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I wasn't mocking Dave in a malicious manner. His quirks are a part of why I listen to and read his work. 

Fair enough, but it's not clear to me that a lack of pop culture trivia knowledge is even deserving of a friendly ribbing.

30 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I also want to point out that ECW made a point of having a show when Seinfeld ended and they haven't existed as a company for well over 15 years.

That still seems pretty obscure to me, though I'll confess it's closer to something an alleged wrestling journalist should have known.

In Dave's defense, when Heenan use to drop those dated references, even the most knowledgeable person would be like, "....the fuck?" However, Bobby is also the same guy in my 1993 rewatch during WCW Saturday Night when the camera panned to a black woman with a close, cropped haircut shout, "....Ezzard Charles!" . I almost laughed until my eyes bled. Even Schiavone had to collect himself.

You take the good with the bad.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, caley said:

I didn't watch Smackdown last week, can someone explain this Damage CTRL-Seinfeld connection he's talking about?!

Damage CTRL was seen talking shit about Bailey in Japanese and she saw/heard it. During her promo she revealed that she actually speaks Japanese and knows what they have been saying. Dave said he thought that was a storyline from Seinfeld, leading to the 15 years ago thing. I don't remember if that was on Seinfeld or not because I am only a casual fan of it. 

If you had told me that after Deacon Dave starred in Wrong Side of the Tracks with RVD, he'd become a damn fine actor with kegit range, I'd have called you drkusionsl

James

Edited by J.H.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now it's Comedy Central's turn!

PIX11 has been playing Seinfeld re-runs for quite a long time as well. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Damage CTRL was seen talking shit about Bailey in Japanese and she saw/heard it. During her promo she revealed that she actually speaks Japanese and knows what they have been saying. Dave said he thought that was a storyline from Seinfeld, leading to the 15 years ago thing. I don't remember if that was on Seinfeld or not because I am only a casual fan of it. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

It was the women in the Korean nail salon.

I guess it would be poor form to follow it up with an angle where someone "stops short", especially in light of recent news 

Gunther expressed interest in facing Kazuchika Okada in an interview with Nick Hausman. “I think Okada is fantastic,” he said. “I always love Japanese wrestling. When I grew up in professional wrestling, understanding everything, I always enjoyed Japanese wrestling the most. I was more of an All Japan guy than a New Japan guy, to be honest. But yeah, he’s one of the best in the world, and if he joins WWE, he’s very welcome to, and I think he finds great competition here.”

Yes please. This got me thinking, were you more an AJPW guy/girl or NJPW? I was more AJPW and the biggest part of that was Kenta Kobashi then Mitsuharu Misawa.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Something that a buddy pointed out that I hadn't picked up on, another possible layer to this CMLL/BCC feud in AEW.  Bryan Danielson is booked for the 2/11 NJPW show against ZSJ. 2/12 is the start of Fantastica Mania, which features all four of the CMLL boys who beat down Moxley last week. I wonder if there will be any sort of interacton between them.

• Like 3