DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/20 - 12/26/2023 - I'll Be Rihome for Christmas

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I had a friend back in the day who was a beast, and almost albino. He bounced in Atlantic City for a while and we all called him the Vanilla Gorilla.

Yeah, I announced some MMA fights featuring "The Vanilla Gorilla" Nick Brashear. He has since hit the Cleveland indy wrestling scene.

10 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Moxley winning the three way by pinning White, then Kingston beating Danielson, setting up Kingston having to beat his friend/enemy/frenemy to get his belts back in the final would a pretty solid story, I think.

There’s a novelty to let’s say Danielson vs White and some built in story to Kingston vs White (and I liked their last match) but with just a few days to build it, Mox standing in the way of Kingston’s hopes and dreams is definitely the way to go.

• Like 3

Well surely he meant that in reference to how a bat sleeps, but with Tony... who knows? 😛 

Was thinking about that Morishima talk and I didn't even notice it beyond hearing the name once. This is because I was so sucked into the match I wasn't focusing on the commentary. Quite the compliment to it. 

• Like 4

Brody vs Garcia may have been my favorite match from the tournament. I can’t believe be kicked out of the Ganso Bomb. That’s just crazy. Loved Daddy Magic covering up his boy to save him and really loving the FTR Skulls shirt. I’d totally buy that shirt if every shirt from PWT wasn’t an overpriced piece of shit that takes forever to ship that you can never wash more than a couple times without the graphic on it cracking and peeling. Seriously. Half the time it takes weeks to get shirts from them and I live close to where the shirts are made. And they really don’t last long. My friend was recently wearing his FTR Living Legends shirt and I asked him how it wasn’t worn out by now. He said he learned to never wash it and just change it when he gets back home.

So yeah, I guess good riddance Dana Buck? Please partner with a better merch maker and distributor.

• Like 4

Brody/Garcia was everything I hoped for and more. I figured early on that Danny was winning since Brody was leaning hard into the shit talk and disrespect, and also they're seemingly good friends behind the scenes so it felt like King was doing something extra special for a buddy. I love it. 

Kingston/Andrade also ruled and ended exactly as I'd hoped. 

Rest of the show was perfectly good pro wrestling. AEW rules the motherfuckin WORLD. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I guess I'll be the only person who like Nigel's dumb commentary. Those forced jokes really make it for me. He knows they're awful and gosh darn it, he's going to get them off.

You are not alone. I love Nigel McGuinness. He’s near perfect every time out. He not only provides great analysis but reels in the random silliness from whomever he is working with. Yeah, the delivery is superb. Is the heel commentator out of fashion with this board? I’ve only heard sporadic work from Graves, but I think he’s excellent too. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I think it is, because there's more than one way a work can be unrealistic. 

I have no problem with wrestling physics. I mean, I watch all sorts of genres with fantastic elements. If I can deal with superpowers and dragons and God knows what, I can certainly accept that in wrestling running into ring ropes causes you to bounce back and continue running uncontrollably. Why not?

But allegedly human characters who don't act like humans are a bigger problem for me. And in an elimination-style triple threat, two competitors working together until the third is eliminated is so obviously the best strategy that pretty much every match should play out that way, which would get repetitive. 

And yeah, ganging up on one competitor is a pretty good strategy in a single-pin triple threat too. But in that style of match, when the alliance breaks down the third person is still in the match, which opens a lot more possibilities.

ECW only ever did Elimination style and the matches were all the better for it. I don’t recall the 2 on 1 scenario ever being something that hindered a whole lot of bouts nor did it ever become some repetitive trope.

As mentioned, triple threat rules/first pin style is a booking protection device. And something that always leads to an unsatisfying finish. Er to my tastes. Especially title matches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

ECW only ever did Elimination style and the matches were all the better for it. I don’t recall the 2 on 1 scenario ever being something that hindered a whole lot of bouts nor did it ever become some repetitive trope.

As mentioned, triple threat rules/first pin style is a booking protection device. And something that always leads to an unsatisfying finish. Er to my tastes. Especially title matches.

The worst is when a title changes in a first pin three way and the champion isn’t the one getting pinned.  So your new champ has no legitimacy and your belt is devalued.  Awesome!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

There’s a novelty to let’s say Danielson vs White and some built in story to Kingston vs White (and I liked their last match) but with just a few days to build it, Mox standing in the way of Kingston’s hopes and dreams is definitely the way to go.

If Kingston were to beat Mox in the finals, he would’ve defeated all 3 BCC members in the tourney. Kind of completes his thing with them over the last year, too.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Moxley winning the three way by pinning White, then Kingston beating Danielson, setting up Kingston having to beat his friend/enemy/frenemy to get his belts back in the final would a pretty solid story, I think.

White/Eddie is a good story for NJPW fans as well, and I'd rather see Jay as champ than anyone else.  Let Jay and OC keep their belts until May, then Double or Nothing their championships against each other on the PPV to make a real triple crown.

Same story could be told with Mox and OC and continue that feud down the road, but OC vs Jay would be an incredibly good contrast of styles.

Edited by Jenalysis

52 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

White/Eddie is a good story for NJPW fans as well, and I'd rather see Jay as champ than anyone else.  Let Jay and OC keep their belts until May, then Double or Nothing their championships against each other on the PPV to make a real triple crown.

Same story could be told with Mox and OC and continue that feud down the road, but OC vs Jay would be an incredibly good contrast of styles.

Kingston and Moxley have way more built up on AEW TV that they can lean on, which makes that the better play. Having the final come down to a feud where literally all the history is in New Japan is the last thing they need right now. They've actually done a great amount of ground work and backstory if the final ends up being Kingston vs. Moxley that it'd be a genuine disappointment - to me, anyway - to have them go "hey, here's a match with a story that required you to pay attention to another promotion!" They do that far too often, so for them to have a situation where they actually could pay off three years of on-again, off-again storytelling to go "welp, we're gonna put the belt on Jay White, and here's why it's important, if you don't watch New Japan you're just gonna have to trust us"... I dunno. Feels like a slap in the face for anyone who paid attention to Kingston's history with Moxley.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Wanted Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli since both joined AEW and to get time like their WWE match, Daniel Bryan vs. Cesaro on RAW, 22nd July 2013 I gave ***** to. I got that here and then some. Just wish the time limit was 30 than 20. I hope this isn't their last singles match.

I feel that the semi should be 30 and the finals should be 60

felt like a soft heel turn for the acclaimed and a soft face turn with Daddy Magic throwing him on top of Danny and yelling "HE'S HAD ENOUGH"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peck said:

"This is one of the places Julia is most comfortable.. hanging upside down." 

Schiavone is in to the really freaky stuff.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well surely he meant that in reference to how a bat sleeps, but with Tony... who knows? 😛 

Was thinking about that Morishima talk and I didn't even notice it beyond hearing the name once. This is because I was so sucked into the match I wasn't focusing on the commentary. Quite the compliment to it. 

Wayne's World 2 - Meeting Del Preston (youtube.com)

Its actually why Julia can't be killed by conventional weapons

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Would have never guessed me saying that, but The Acclaimed fucking suck. Should have never got those Trios belts at all. 

It hurts me to agree but I have to. I was about as high on these guys as could be but my interest has reached negative levels at this point. I think they need some time apart and the team should be revisited down the road.

9 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

It hurts me to agree but I have to. I was about as high on these guys as could be but my interest has reached negative levels at this point. I think they need some time apart and the team should be revisited down the road.

Y’all are crazy everyone loves the Acclaimed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Who's letting all these cops onto the board?

I have a lot of post-Acclaimed fantasy booking ideas, though. Involving MJF's post championship programs, Jay White getting his win back, Billy's retirement match and a Bowens singles run. Most of it is pretty obvious and I'd like to see some action in that regard first-half 2024. 

• Like 1