DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/20 - 12/26/2023 - I'll Be Rihome for Christmas

Dolfan in NYC

Alright, where to begin? RUSH vs Swerve was very bad-ass, with RUSH making a few errors in judgment, showing off and messing his leg for the rest of the match, letting Swerve eventually cut him down.

Samoa Joe learning from the last time and accusing MJF of being the Devil after all. MJF counters with solid points. The Devil counters with the whole locker room under a mask. Ok, that's enough to be two peoples' separate goon squads or then just hired help from various indies that are never going to be a part of the stable. But there are two people under those hoods who are interested enough to challenge for the ROH tag titles!

Jay Lethal vs Mark Briscoe was very good and it took a goddamned Burning Hammer and a Jay Driller to hammer and drill Jay for the 3 count. Glad to see Mark win something and after the big ROH win, he is back on the right track.

I don't think that's exactly what Rocky Romero had in mind there, OC, but at least he gets an opportunity to get more gold around his waist. OC would probably defend against Statlander, if she would ask for a title match!

Riho with a big win over Saraya and also had no time for Toni's bullshit and started wailing away at her instead of an intense stare down. Mariah had to make the save. Does Mariah have time to make her in-ring debut againts Riho next week, or will that happen after the PPV (against whomever)?

Roddy beats Kommander in a nice Dean Malenko vs Random masked luchadore on Nitro -tribute match and used what spare time he had left to spout his misinformation (or disinformation) about MJF. I have no idea about where will Roddy eventually land in this whole thing, but it still seems like The Kingdom are honestly worried about his neck health and not just playing their part in a ruse. However, The Kingdom would definitely have their eyes on the ROH tag titles, right? Maybe next week? Hmmm.

I have a feeling that Mox's luck with this tournament just ran out with the victory over Swerve. With White coming up with a win here and forcing a three way semi-finals, I don't see Mox in the finals. You don't force a three way just to have the guy who gets in last, lose. Unless that's the only reason he got there in the first place. Ok, so maybe it isn't so cut and dry, after all? Just seems like Swerve will face Lee on the PPV, while Mox and White have no on going issues besides the tournament.

So, is the Golden Showers vs Absolute Big Assholes completely off the PPV, or will Jericho get to look for a new partner or do Starks and Bill get new challengers for the title?

Yeah, looking forward to Lee vs Cage, but it's probably going to be totally different from the match I saw between them on Youtube.

Fun epidode and now I will take advantage of watching more random big events of earlier ROH to hold me over until Rampage and Collision, which I probably won't see until after christmas, anyway.

Edited by Shartnado
Typo fixin'
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

"It's Bully Ray!! We've seen it before!!"

Is that what dude was yelling? I thought he was calling out somebody else but now I can't for the life of me remember who it was. 

Yeah, if they're wrestling the ninjas, that's just stupid and people need to be unmasked. If it's not though, who do you think is gonna come out? Or even if so, if they get unmasked? Because now we have a definite pair of wrestlers at least aligned with the Devil. Kingdom would not only give it away as Strong but it would all be soooo weak to build for all that time and have it just end up being them losers.

• Like 3

I'm really glad they went with the three way because a) Mox running the table and then having to wrestle a guy he already beat to make it to the finals would have been unfair in kayfabe and b) they get to save the proper Mox/Swerve singles rematch for down the road after more build.  I wish it would be an elimination three way but bookers love the crutch of a first-pin three way.

Mox getting his knee destroyed, then not so much as a limp on the comeback, was something.

Saturday should be awesome.  I'll post about tournament possibilities in the other thread.  Non-tournament, I'm looking forward to Cage vs Lee.  I swore they must have met in PWG sometime.  Googling it I remembered that this was the match where Cage won with the falcon arrow and broke Excalibur and Chuck Taylor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I'm really glad they went with the three way because a) Mox running the table and then having to wrestle a guy he already beat to make it to the finals would have been unfair in kayfabe and b) they get to save the proper Mox/Swerve singles rematch for down the road after more build.  I wish it would be an elimination three way but bookers love the crutch of a first-pin three way.

Mox getting his knee destroyed, then not so much as a limp on the comeback, was something.

Saturday should be awesome.  I'll post about tournament possibilities in the other thread.  Non-tournament, I'm looking forward to Cage vs Lee.  I swore they must have met in PWG sometime.  Googling it I remembered that this was the match where Cage won with the falcon arrow and broke Excalibur and Chuck Taylor.

In a tournament like this, I would think it would be imperative to make that match elimination-style. 

As far as Mox's lack of selling goes, at least RUSH limped around in every match. I guess it's easier to sell something when your leg is actually hurting, same with Bryan's face!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gorman said:

"I told you I was very evil!"

For two years, brother, for two years, I held my head high... I did everything for the charities... I did everything for the kids... and the reception I got when I came out here... you fans can stick it, brother, because if it wasn't for Danhausen, you people wouldn't be here. If it wasn't for Danhausen, Tony Khan would be still selling scalped Jaguars tickets from a truck in Jacksonville and if it wasn't for Danhausen, all these Johnny-Come-Lately's that you see out here wrestling, wouldn't be here. I was selling out the world, brother, while they were bumming gas to put in the car to get to high school

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Swerve is so fucking good at nearly everything. I didn’t think anything would top the, “what’s a Buckshot to a killshot” line and then he busts out “I’m not the Devil, but I’ll take you to hell” or something to that effect. 

• Like 4

Fucking awesome show! With a fucking awesome Rush v Swerve opener. Thoroughly loved this one and the great OKC attendees. Nice Blue League Recap. They badly need to continue these post-tournament as the Collision Report. 2 show requirement. These are the simple necessities to which I hope I'm seeing them realize. I like a regular guy Chris Jericho promo. He comes off likable as opposed to his more regular 'obnoxious class clown' routine. I sense the embarrassment of last week's Jets promo will not go unnoticed by the man most responsible. Mark Briscoe v Jay Lethal was incredible. That’s how you make the most of your minutes. Excellent tournament for both. I wanna see Mark ascend quickly now. Don’t call it a comeback. Wardy promo. I still like his potential, but he's the definition of a cold fish right now. Somebody needs to help him get passed this mean mugging, 2D, ‘I’m tough, I’m angry’ shit? So stale. Joe/MJF promo seemed to be going fine until it was touched by the Devilish one. How evil is somebody that just wants a shot at a lowly ROH Tag title? What’s to make the audience believe this match is happening next week? I thought for a moment there it was December 2019, and I was seeing the infamous Dark Order invasion angle again. Rocky/OC/gang promo was simple and effective. Saraya v Riho was pretty solid. Riho pulls a match out of ol so and so. Saraya needs a partner and a tag title to go after. She’s so loaded with charisma. It could be wonderfully utilized alongside somebody to carry the workload. Deeb!? The reading of Christian’s statement felt a bit awkward and lacking importance. Maybe a visual, like a postcard photograph of Christian and Nick on vacation would’ve helped. MJF/Swerve promo was terrific. Roderick Strong v Komander was wonderful pro wrestling. I love both these guys. This was a Dream match. Roddy is a great base, and I sense by this time next year Komander is gonna have an upward mobile role. He's in year 1 Darby or Guevara mode. Roddy promo after was just fine. I love Roddy getting so much attention and making the most of his minutes. I also really like roaming reporter Renee post-match in ring promos. Jay White v Mox caps off a pretty fucking incredible 2 hours of Pro Wrestling. I love Jay going over here. Not a 3 way fan, but those guys are pros, so let's see what they can do. I really hope it’s Elimination style. So much better. AEW should cast aside shitty WWE ‘Triple Threat’ rules, and never do them again. Swerve is on fire. Judging by the OKC crowd so is Mark Briscoe. And Roosh. And the whole product. Such a great show.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

That was the hardest Blade Runner White ever hit. You are not supposed to DDT yourself on the head, Jon! 

maybe one of them read the criticism about how the Last Rites just hasn't looked good since Daniels did it in 1999 and decided to show them how that kind of move could look dangerous

11 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

So it’s like there’s putties, but then the JTTS-tier henchmen Goldar and Finster challenge for the tag titles. Devil is Rita, and we haven’t seen Zed yet.

Like MJF said, there are levels to this shit.

so Roderick Strong's Rod Squad is the Bulk and Skull of this angle?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

yeah, at the risk of inviting referees to get in front of the camera during matches, there should be some awareness of the concept of "you have to defend yourself" which might run counter to the whole "you hit me, I hit you" strike exchanges where minimal defense is the norm

or at least figure out a way to do strike exchanges where the changes in momentum involve counting/blocking and taking over

I know that Lethal/Briscoe aren't enhancement guys outside of the CC, but that sorta tempo makes one wish that the jobber vs jobber matches back in the 80s would be worked more like "two guys desperate to get a win" and less like "we're doing this match so you don't miss anything before you get seated"

• Like 2

A surprise to no one but Collision looks really fun this week. Some of the least “normal” matches of the tournament, as the BCC explodes and we get the King/Garcia and Kingston/Andrade mismatches. Then Keith Lee vs Brian Cage and the weirdo team of Thunder Rosa/Abadon. And Acclaimed vs the trio of the moment. All that and Christian  speaks too.

• Like 4

On 12/21/2023 at 5:00 AM, Shartnado said:

So, is the Golden Showers vs Absolute Big Assholes completely off the PPV, or will Jericho get to look for a new partner or do Starks and Bill get new challengers for the title?

My theory is that the title match is still on, but Jericho gets Danny Garcia to team with him. It can officially break him apart from the former JAS, and if they decide to do a title switch, it can potentially set up dissension with Omega for whenever he's recovered. And if they win, just imagine the victory dance celebration!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I hate to even suggest this, because he's one of the last guys I want in AEW, but objectively, this is a very good slot for a one night only Ryan Nemeth appearance. Especially if he's the guy who eats the pin to Starks.

Ryan's in the company so I'm assuming you mean the former Dolph, Nick. Considering he's buddies with a lot of the folks there, I'd honestly be surprised if he doesn't end up signing. Sorry? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coletti said:

I'd honestly be surprised if he doesn't end up signing.

He's already got a contract with WWC in Puerto Rico starting next year. 

Danny Garcia as replacement for Omega would be great but if he's already wrestling Brody King you better bet he ain't doing double duty.