DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/20 - 12/26/2023 - I'll Be Rihome for Christmas

Dolfan in NYC

Paul Heyman and Extreme Championship Wrestling made me a fan of skilled performers getting 'a new coat of paint'. They and he helped revitalize so many misused WWF Superstars. Chris Candido, Bigelow, Credible, Snow, Johnny Polo, to name just a few. I'd like to think a guy with the skillset of a Mustafa Ali or a Nick Nemeth might have the ability to reinvent himself. I mostly only know Nemeth from his Heyman era OVW run. Some of the last TV wrestling I watched for many years. The rotten booking/ packaging/ presentation of Nemeth and his highly skilled OVW compatriots that the WWE called the Spirit Squad was part of an endpoint in my interest in Wrestling for many years.

• Like 3

there's a few top AEW guys who just needed a breather, like didn't people think Joe was almost done by the end of his WWE time

also, Billy Gunn in a mostly managerial role has been refreshed a bit from pretty much doing nothing for years

there might be a difference between a Heyman "new coat of paint" sort of thing and Rick Rubin "just let them do what they do best instead of doing something else" approach

• Like 4

On 12/21/2023 at 10:45 AM, Technico Support said:

I'm really glad they went with the three way because a) Mox running the table and then having to wrestle a guy he already beat to make it to the finals would have been unfair in kayfabe and b) they get to save the proper Mox/Swerve singles rematch for down the road after more build.  I wish it would be an elimination three way but bookers love the crutch of a first-pin three way.

The problem with elimination three-ways is that it could never possibly work in a real sport. Though how big a problem that is for pro wrestling is debatable, of course.

9 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

The problem with elimination three-ways is that it could never possibly work in a real sport. Though how big a problem that is for pro wrestling is debatable, of course.

If you want to patent triple threat basketball games with a triangle court and three baskets, there might be money in this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

at the risk of overthinking it... an idea for this three way (or any three way in a three way tie in the future)

White beat Moxley in 15 minutes (15:09)

Moxley beat Swerve in 16 minutes (16:23)

Swerve beat White in 15 minutes (15:27)

White wrestled for 30:36, Moxley for 31:32, and Swerve for 31:50.

Therefore, the match starts with Moxley and Swerve and White has to wait a minute before getting involved. Which would coincidentally give a little tiny advantage to the clear heel of those 3.

Now if you wanted to make this three way more complex... make it so that White/Moxley/Swerve could win immediately by beating the opponent they didn't beat, but if they pin the opponent they already beat, the match continues and that wrestler is eliminated

In other words..

Scenario A: Moxley pins White, he wins, match over

Scenario B: Swerve pins White, White is eliminated and it's Swerve/Moxley to finish off

Just to add some strategy as opposed to having it be a three way schmozz. But it'll likely be a three way schmozz.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

If you want to patent triple threat basketball games with a triangle court and three baskets, there might be money in this.

I believe three sided futbol games have been done before. 

Edited by odessasteps

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

There is real-sport precedent for three-way ties that has made its way into pro wrestling. The 1997 AJPW Champion's Carnival finished with a three-way tie between Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi in a one-block tournament and I'm pretty sure they ran the finals under sumo wrestling playoff rules.

The choices, "East", "West" and "O" are selected. The east and the west battle first, while the "O" is a reserve. The winner of the first match will face the reserve. If the winner of the original match also wins this match he takes the championship. If the reserve wins then he faces off against the loser of the first match. Overall first rikishi with two consecutive wins takes the championship.

Of course this broke in a very non-sumo way where Misawa and Kobashi drew and Kawada beat the both of them afterwards. But the G1, CC, etc. operate on a lot of sumo-derived ceremony, save for occasional and current World Cup dalliance.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's so far unproven if Coach Tony is really capable of pulling a Heyman though, right? All the former stars that have shown up are known top guys that didn't need that fresh coat of paint, unless there's someone I'm missing. Serena? 

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

there might be a difference between a Heyman "new coat of paint" sort of thing and Rick Rubin "just let them do what they do best instead of doing something else" approach

Exactly! Credit is fully deserved for giving a platform to mishandled talent such as 'The Revival'. Both Claudio and Samoa Joe also come to mind. How does Swerve Strickland compare to Swerve Scott? Or Roddy or Mike Bennett - I rate both Roddy and the Kingdom's ROHAEW run very favorably. Honorable mention to Daddy Magic. I've never seen this 'Neville'. Upon her release I don't remember a whole lotta ppl talking about how Ember Moon could be one of the top ladies in 2023. Even somebody like Christian - would he be even half as entertaining reading WWE scripts? I'm not so sure, that is to say there's no fucking way, Danielson accumulates a catalog of captavating bouts on par with his AEW run if he stays put in 2021. For about half a year to a year Cody Rhodes seemed to fit the success of the Rubin approach.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

at the risk of overthinking it... an idea for this three way (or any three way in a three way tie in the future)

White beat Moxley in 15 minutes (15:09)

Moxley beat Swerve in 16 minutes (16:23)

Swerve beat White in 15 minutes (15:27)

White wrestled for 30:36, Moxley for 31:32, and Swerve for 31:50.

Therefore, the match starts with Moxley and Swerve and White has to wait a minute before getting involved. Which would coincidentally give a little tiny advantage to the clear heel of those 3.

Now if you wanted to make this three way more complex... make it so that White/Moxley/Swerve could win immediately by beating the opponent they didn't beat, but if they pin the opponent they already beat, the match continues and that wrestler is eliminated

In other words..

Scenario A: Moxley pins White, he wins, match over

Scenario B: Swerve pins White, White is eliminated and it's Swerve/Moxley to finish off

Just to add some strategy as opposed to having it be a three way schmozz. But it'll likely be a three way schmozz.

STOP GIVING TONY IDEAS

28 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I've never seen this 'Neville'.

I never see him either...

Anyway, if you're gonna do that three-court basketball thing, I want more than just three balls in play. I want SIX. Or NINE!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Is it really debatable? Curious who out there prefers Triple Threat or First Pin rules to Elimination?  

On 12/21/2023 at 7:00 AM, Shartnado said:

I have no idea about where will Roddy eventually land in this whole thing, but it still seems like The Kingdom are honestly worried about his neck health and not just playing their part in a ruse. However, The Kingdom would definitely have their eyes on the ROH tag titles, right?

Without delving into Fantasy Booking, I really like the idea that if Cole is the Devil (or at minimum is turning on MJF), that the turn will a betrayal of Roddy, too.  Cole is using him as a ruse.  That way after the turn we have Devil & four ninjas vs MJF, Roddy, Kingdom & Joe.

Edited by SovietShooter
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I’ve had plans for something like this in my brain for years, maybe I need to make this happen 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

He's already got a contract with WWC in Puerto Rico starting next year. 

Danny Garcia as replacement for Omega would be great but if he's already wrestling Brody King you better bet he ain't doing double duty. 

Garcia/Brody is on Collision tomorrow, the Golden Jets tag would've been next Saturday at Worlds End if that happened

• Like 1

Okay, gotcha. I was thinking about that myself but just hit send anyway

Rocky Romero feels like the definition of "a good hand" who just doesn't have anything interesting. A lot like Chavo Jr. in that respect. Him stealing the damn Eddie dance doesn't help (and I thought he was gonna do the Three Amigos for a second there too). 

So, this was definitely a show -- until that main event. Holy Lucha, Batman. If their match on Final Battle was a gonzo exaggeration of everything they could do, this was the slimmed-down and measured version of their dance, a dance which has so many different and beautiful steps to it that looks like no other. I think the only botch was when Vikingo unintentionally got powerbombed on his head but they STILL made that look intentional. Just a flat-out awesome match. 

• Like 5