DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FIFTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Nothing says America more than Franco Harris getting honored after he's dead and this dude being honored when we just learned his name in the exact same ceremony. 

To be fair, in my 1994 WWF rewatch, I believe they showed a clip of the same organization recognizing Randy Savage right before he took off for WCW. And Google indeed shows Mr. Poffo is an honorary member. It was just an assortment of random famous/semi famous people of Italian heritage. 

Hell, IIRC, LaSorda who has an award named for him was in the clip I saw with Macho Man. They've been around for minute so it's quite possible they recognized Franco before they decided to give him a posthumous award.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

To be fair, in my 1994 WWF rewatch, I believe they showed a clip of the same organization recognizing Randy Savage right before he took off for WCW. And Google indeed shows Mr. Poffo is an honorary member. It was just an assortment of random famous/semi famous people of Italian heritage. 

Hell, IIRC, LaSorda who has an award named for him was in the clip I saw with Macho Man. They've been around for minute so it's quite possible they recognized Franco before they decided to give him a posthumous award.

Franco was inducted into the Hall in 1988, he's basically getting their version of the Irving Thalberg Award. From their social media it looks like he agreed to appearing at this years banquet before he passed.

“We, along with the rest of the sports world, are devastated with the news of the passing of Pittsburgh Steeler great and National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame inductee Franco Harris. He was a great friend and ardent supporter. We just met with him on Monday to discuss his participation in our 2023 gala. We have selected him to receive the Mario Andretti Lifetime Achievement Award. Our love goes to his family, especially his wife Dana. He was one of the greatest athletes of all time, but more importantly, one of the greatest people who has ever walked the planet.”  Ron Onesti, President and Tony Ferraro, Chairman. 

• Thanks 1

I have no idea how to feel about Staley as a coach,  because the parts of the job people complain about the most,  aren't really the reasons why he sucks. Most of the 4th down decisions he made were solid decisions that didn't work out. I think his biggest flaw was that he seemed to get the worst out of his players. That's a talented team that never seemed to be on the same page at the same time. It doesn't help that Austin Ekeler went from one of the most productive players in the entire league to one of the least productive players in the league. 

45 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I have no idea how to feel about Staley as a coach,  because the parts of the job people complain about the most,  aren't really the reasons why he sucks. Most of the 4th down decisions he made were solid decisions that didn't work out. I think his biggest flaw was that he seemed to get the worst out of his players. That's a talented team that never seemed to be on the same page at the same time. It doesn't help that Austin Ekeler went from one of the most productive players in the entire league to one of the least productive players in the league. 

I don't watch enough Chargers games to give an educated analysis, but even with a not 100% Ekeler its kinda mind blowing that before the Raiders game they had scored two touchdowns in three weeks. Especially as they had plenty of games this year, even as recent as early November that the offense was still pretty effective. I don't generally believe in players "giving up" on their coaches, at least not as a collective unit, but something had to have been amiss. Maybe he wasn't a great motivator, game planner, I don't know but the Chargers way underachieved the last couple years based on their talent on-paper.

3 hours ago, dogwelder said:

And here's the fallout from last night.

Again, in "Why We Don't Let Punters Give Their Opinion" news:

McAfee went on his show today and said Bill Belichick is in line to become LAC's next coach.   And now Twitter won't shut up about it.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Again, in "Why We Don't Let Punters Give Their Opinion" news:

McAfee went on his show today and said Bill Belichick is in line to become LAC's next coach.   And now Twitter won't shut up about it.  

I've seen speculation about that other places for a few weeks.

I do know Justin Herbert is a guy a lot of coaches find intriguing. There's lots of rumors that Jim Harbaugh turned down Denver and delayed locking into coming back to Michigan until the Chargers didn't fire Staley, and also that Sean Payton didn't agree to Denver's offer until the same. LAC should pretty much have their pick of available coaches.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

the Chiefs main running back (Pacheco) is out again, if you wanted to see them throw the ball to their receivers some more this weekend

Especially after Mahomes told Toney this week to "be you".

As opposed to the impression of "Ronnie Garvin, the Man with the Hands of Stone" Toney's done all year.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Haha 1

People acting like Cam Newton is crazy for separating game managers and game changers seem to forget that Cam won the Heisman,  a national championship,  an MVP, and got to a Super Bowl by being the only offensive player worth defending on any of those teams. He's 100% correct that there is a difference and mostly correct with the names that he named. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I've seen speculation about that other places for a few weeks.

I do know Justin Herbert is a guy a lot of coaches find intriguing. There's lots of rumors that Jim Harbaugh turned down Denver and delayed locking into coming back to Michigan until the Chargers didn't fire Staley, and also that Sean Payton didn't agree to Denver's offer until the same. LAC should pretty much have their pick of available coaches.

I've been saying for weeks that, if he goes to the NFL, Jim Harbaugh would be the coach of the Chargers.

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

People acting like Cam Newton is crazy for separating game managers and game changers seem to forget that Cam won the Heisman,  a national championship,  an MVP, and got to a Super Bowl by being the only offensive player worth defending on any of those teams. He's 100% correct that there is a difference and mostly correct with the names that he named. 

Its a weird thing. I disagree with his list but its odd to me that people have such an issue with him having one. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are #1 and #2 in career 4th quarter comebacks, which to me is the very definition of a game changer. Nothing is more game changing than having ice in your veins and dealing with the pressure to mount a comeback, and the fact both did it over such a long period with different coordinators, teammates, and even teams shows they weren't just a 'system' QB.

But I understand where he is coming from as in a way he's making his own definition of the term. By his definition the only one I disagree with him naming is Joe Burrow (Burrow is stupid good but as far as being a 'game changer' he doesn't seem to fit with the others on his list). I don't know if it would have helped if he put out the second video at the same time as I think he explained himself well, agree with him or not he's certainly entitled to his opinion and has the credentials.

Ted Ginn Jr is a more interesting discussion than quarterback breakdown number 10,000 IMO. He was that good, but he never had a deep ball dime guy, and the 2 guys he had were mentioned there. At the end with Brees I don’t know how he even had the energy put on his helmet. If that were many other WRs there would have been a meltdown. 

RIP Franco an alltime great.

Staley and the Chargers are being overanalyzed because it finally happened after a longer than usual wait. The world wanted him gone since the playoffs. The mad fans wanted him gone since before then. I do think they need to rebuild but they need to start with the foundation and the poles, not the drapes. Herbert has been knocked around as bad as Josh Allen or anybody else. Get an OL and TEs that can block. Keep the skill players you can’t afford to get rid of yet and replace them when you can. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

For someone who might be coaching to save his job, the punt decision instead of a 57 yard FG was pretty awful and timid by Tomlin 

I still can't quite believe the Steelers will actually fire a coach unless they have like two or three truly awful, top five pick type seasons in a row.

• Like 1

I'm still not sure how you fire a coach that's coached 15+ seasons and never had a losing one. They've basically been beaten by math most seasons they didn't get to the playoffs. I don't like The Steelers much, but I do like Mike Tomlin a lot. He's not some scheming genius. But he's just a really solid and accountable dude that always gets winning seasons out of pretty bad rosters. And this roster is one of the worst. They've always been carried by defensive units but you have to have competent offensive play to compliment it and they just don't. And haven't for a few years. That feels like a GM issue more than coaching.

• Like 1