DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FIFTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

So who are the NFL players of the week:  Zach Wilson for the AFC and Tommy Devito for the NFC  🤪

I am not sure there are enough numbers to show the odds if someone tried to make that bet 2 weeks ago much 2 months ago

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I saw people talking about him not returning next year. Is he retiring or being canceled? 

Sounds like canceled.  

Michaels was the recipient of LOTS of criticism for his performance with Tony Dungy last year during the playoffs.  He has been mediocre on occasion, and terrible the rest of the time, this year for Amazon.  It doesn't help that he's partnered with a guy who doesn't do much research on the NFL (Herbstreit) but Al is really, really obviously just going through the motions and has been for at least a decade.

• Like 1

Herbstreit was a strange hire for Amazon. Not that he's terrible at the color job, but with him still doing college football full time, doing the pregame shows and the various appearances on ESPN throughout the week, etc, it was obvious he wasn't going to have the time to commit fully to the NFL and thus you get a guy who is woefully unprepared sitting next to a guy who has been functionally one step above a corpse for years.

Though it's still better than Colinsworth next to Michaels.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

So who are the NFL players of the week:  Zach Wilson for the AFC and Tommy Devito for the NFC  🤪

Tell me there's an east coast bias, without telling me there's an east coast bias.  Jesus Christ, I hate the dude right now, but Will Levis deserved it far more than MILF Hunter.  

Another reminder that the NFL season is actually really fucking long

Josh Dobbs just got Zach Wilsoned

Per Schefter

Vikings’ HC Kevin O’Connell announced that rookie QB Jaren Hall will back up Nick Mullens on Saturday and Joshua Dobbs will serve as the emergency third QB.

https://awfulannouncing.com/podcasts/dean-blandino-nfl-officials-sports-betting.html

Dean Blandino, the former Vice President of Officiating (2013-17) for the NFL, recently commented on whether legalized sports gambling has affected the job of officials.

On the latest episode of the Awful Announcing podcast, he mentioned that although he couldn’t say that it has impacted their job, he acknowledged that it has increased scrutiny. Blandino explained that the NFL has strict protocols in place for officials, and even before they are hired, an NFL security representative goes door-to-door in their neighborhood to talk to their neighbors. This practice is still in place today.

“They look at all of your business associations. They look for conflicts of interest — all of that, bank accounts, everything,” Balndino told host Brandon Contes. “And there’s checks during the season. And so, they’ll look at if a game official has $10 in their bank account on Friday, and then they work a game, and now there’s $100,000; that’s a red flag, right? So, you’re checking those things. You’re monitoring the betting lines and looking at how calls impact those lines and are their individual officials that are involved in more of those calls. It’s a massive, massive undertaking. Because what the league doesn’t want and what we never wanted was a situation like what happened with the NBA, right?”

I dunno.  Still sounds like a system that can be exploited to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Log said:

Now I want to see the Ravens wear Browns throwbacks when they play the Browns.

The NFL continues to insist that the Browns are the same team they always were and the Ravens were an expansion team.

To the point that when ESPN did an article about the Golden Knights and fastest expansion teams have ever won a championship, they included the fucking Ravens on the list for their 2000 Super Bowl. It drives me insane.

• Like 1

The weirdest part is that Stick wasn't even a screaming disaster.

He wasn't *good*, and he padded his stats late obviously, but it wasn't a Nathan Peterman interception every fourth pass attempt type of game.

I won't be surprised if Staley is fired first thing in the morning. Got the long week which is almost as good as a bye, and he didn't seem likely to survive the end of the season before this.