DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/6 - 12/12/2023 - Always Bet On Black

Dolfan in NYC

Man, that was good!

It seemed like RUSH wasn't wrestling with the urgency that it takes to beat Mox and it ended up biting him in the ass.

Ok, so Adam Page is now a suspect, but that was very red herringy shit that made MJF look more guilty than Page, here.

Roddy WAS using the wheelchair as a crutch, I knew it! Also, I kept yelling to myself RENEEE! before he actually said it and still almost spat my coffee out when he did!

Swerve vs Briscoe was a hell of a match by the end, and it definitely looks like the real league finals with Mox and Swerve next week. A draw there would give White a shot at winning, with his win over Lethal tonight. 

Fans were having a blast with the Jay chants during their match. Shit like that couldn't happen in WWE, but that's not actually the fans' fault.

Great introduction for Timeless Toni and a really good showing by Skye Blue, except for the Code Blue, once again. It has looked more like a twisting sunset flip recently, with a decided lack of "bomb" impact on it. I wonder if May will take on Riho in her in-ring debut?

Yeah, the tag match didn't happen, but this made MJF look guilty as shit, but there's no way Roddy can be right about this, right? Also, Roddy vs Hangman next week is so random that it can't be random at all.

The main event ended up being really good. The spear on spear spot was terrific. I expected Nick Wayne's Mom to choose her son, no matter the cost, so yeah, that made sense, even though she probably felt sick doing it.

Bryan having 3 matches in 7 days is just begging for a disaster at this point, but it weaves an interesting story, no doubt!

• Like 4

I watched most of the show tonight. Missed Moxley vs. Rush, but saw everything else. Really good show as usual. I liked the attack on MJF which was a good way to keep him from wrestling since he's injured. I really hope the devil story does come to an end at the ppv. It's either going to be something great or a monumental bust.

Swerve vs. Mark was a good match. I was sad that Briscoe lost though. I figured he would get at least three points at some point. But they are setting up for a hell of a Swerve vs. Moxley match next week.

Jay vs. Jay was good. I liked how into it the crowd got with the dueling Jay chants. Poor Lethal couldn't even get a point tonight.

Toni vs. Blue was all right. I loved the TCM Introduction for Toni. See that's corporate synergy I can get behind. I think Skye Blue needs a new finisher. It's always hit or miss with that Code Blue. But this set up Toni vs. RIHO!!! I'm so excited that she's back.

Christian vs. Adam Copeland was a good match. Christian is so on point with everything he does. Wasn't thrilled about the ending with Nick's mom interfering, but it was a good match none the less. I'm interested to see where this goes and if this means she's joining the group.

Overall a good show as usual.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Or...

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8ca5f10a153ba13089da528923eb7312

If Sami ever did anything involving a beer bottle in Impact then it's probably him.

embed fuck.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbOrfIZpgvA   that time he got Brian Cage's wife with a bottle.

I could see it still,  but then again if there was 'real glass' involved...!

• Like 2

I’m going to finish the show this afternoon. I remember the Turner Classic Movies guy introducing Toni Storm then next thing I knew Jay Lethal was walking to the ring. That’s when I realized I needed sleep. I know nothing of what happened during the main event.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brynn9292 said:

I’m going to finish the show this afternoon. I remember the Turner Classic Movies guy introducing Toni Storm then next thing I knew Jay Lethal was walking to the ring. That’s when I realized I needed sleep. I know nothing of what happened during the main event.

Yeah, that happens sometimes. Better luck on the rewatch, after some decent sleep.

Jay Lethal vs Mark Briscoe, last time they wrestled on Dynamite was in the tribute match to Jay Briscoe. Next time, they'll be fighting over the Wooden Spoon, whoever loses will be 0-5.

• Like 2

I liked this opener a lot. RUSH and Mox are two dudes who don't mind laying it the fuck in, and boy did they. I know I talk a lot about shit I don't like, but this was extremely my shit. Looking forward to Mox/Swerve next week. Renee told a funny story a year or so ago about how much Mox marked out when he found out Swerve was Killshot in LU, so it wouldn't shock me to see Swerve go over. I'd be more convinced Hangman was gonna screw Swerve if outside interference meant you forfeit the tournament. I thought the backstage thing with MJF and Page was a bit too much, and it felt like MJF fell back into some bad habits. I'll probably get some things out of order, but who gives a shit?

That intro from the TCM guy was perfection. You could tell he understood the assignment. Also, I was not sold on the "deranged starlet" thing at first, but Toni has committed completely and it's working. Skye Blue has come a million miles. She's a talented young lady. Excited to see Riho. 

Swerve/Briscoe was another banger. Mark makes you believe. It never feels like he's out of a fight. Great stuff.

Same for Switchblade/Lethal. I liked that they brought up the history the two have. I feel like we as wrestling fans have been so conditioned to be beaten over the head with what are supposed to be subtle story beats that in some ways this didn't feel like enough, but it worked. Switchblade should've probably been in the other bracket, bc it's hard to imagine one of Mox/Swerve being out. 

The Devil thing is getting a bit tedious for me. I think it's shelf life is about up. Let's move on to the next phase after World's End. 

Also, this Rod Strong/Kingdom thing is not my cup of tea. I have no sentimental attachment to anything from ROH in their era, so I don't feel any kind of way about them being on tv now. Strong yelling everyone's first name is funny, though.

The main event cooked. I feel like AEW takes some unmerited criticism for bringing in ex WWE guys. I mean yeah, they bring in ex-WWE guys, but how can you watch this and not think that's a good idea? It would be one thing if they did the TNA thing and just shoved every ex Fed guy to the top of the card, but that isn't what's happening. Christian Cage is probably doing better TV work than any American wrestler this year, and I only issue that caveat because I don't speak Japanese. I wouldn't know if someone is torching their opponents verbally over there. Anyway, Nick Wayne's Mom (has got it going on) did the thing we all thought, but that doesn't make it dumb. TAFKA Edge con-chair-to'd her son. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is a way to bring Beth in for a one-off, but I have no idea if Nick Wayne's Mom (has got it going on) is trained or whatever. She certainly appears to fit the archetype of a female wrestler from yesteryear. If Nick Wayne's Mom (has got it going on) isn't trained, just switch out Taya Valkyrie when no one's looking. I guarantee no one can tell the difference.

Good shit this week. I'm a little pissed I didn't get to see Samoa Joe stomp fools into the crust of the earth, but you can't have everything, I guess. 

• Like 5

I have to also get behind all the love for the main event. You'd have to be nuts to compare that to TNA - no one there during its 'ex-WWE-pushing-peak' was ever as seemingly motivated as E&C were here (save for maybe Christian himself). I thought that was really smartly worked. @Logsaid it best: I went from having very little interest, to getting sucked right in and doing my best Excalibur impression on the couch giving the backstory: "CHRISTIANLOSTTHECRUISERWEIGHTTITLETHENTHENEWBROODFOUGHTTHEOLDBROODINALADDERMATCHATNOMERCY'99ANDTHEN..."

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You'd have thought that match would be saved for PPV, yes? 

Yes and no. I said this last night when we finished, but the finish being something like that was a foregone conclusion the second they announced it for free TV - so I always knew we were likely building to a PPV rematch. That said, I enjoyed it so much more than I expected that I somehow simultaneously A) want more, and B) also kind of don't, because I don't know if the future PPV bout could top what they brought here (I've always got that anxious voice in the back of my head going 'diminishing returns!' any time it comes to aging stars as attractions). My guess is that the eventual PPV match will be some kind of gimmick, which ought to help make it different enough from tonight in terms of layout and content (and of course, adds an element of IRL 'drama' with both guys' legit injury history).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I have to also get behind all the love for the main event. You'd have to be nuts to compare that to TNA - no one there during its 'ex-WWE-pushing-peak' was ever as seemingly motivated as E&C were here (save for maybe Christian himself). I thought that was really smartly worked. @Logsaid it best: I went from having very little interest, to getting sucked right in and doing my best Excalibur impression on the couch giving the backstory: "CHRISTIANLOSTTHECRUISERWEIGHTTITLETHENTHENEWBROODFOUGHTTHEOLDBROODINALADDERMATCHATNOMERCY'99ANDTHEN..."

The difference between the ex-WWEers that come to AEW is that they are signing with them because they have something to prove. The ones that signed with TNA wanted an easy paycheck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yes and no. I said this last night when we finished, but the finish being something like that was a foregone conclusion the second they announced it for free TV - so I always knew we were likely building to a PPV rematch. That said, I enjoyed it so much more than I expected that I somehow simultaneously A) want more, and B) also kind of don't, because I don't know if the future PPV bout could top what they brought here (I've always got that anxious voice in the back of my head going 'diminishing returns!' any time it comes to aging stars as attractions). My guess is that the eventual PPV match will be some kind of gimmick, which ought to help make it different enough from tonight in terms of layout and content (and of course, adds an element of IRL 'drama' with both guys' legit injury history).

I too loved the match, but was expecting I would. I thought the build was excellent - in particular Copeland’s Savage-like collision promo, the terrific video packages and everything Christian has done. Shayna Wayne’s involvement was certainly goofy but welcomed. Too much logic and reason and quality execution to be foolishly labelled TNA or WWE. Further, I’m ready for more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Shayna Wayne’s involvement was certainly goofy but welcomed.

I was like, wait who? But then I realized it's Nick Wayne's Mom.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'm guessing Rush really fucked up his quad or hamstring something fierce last week and he's probably going to be reduced to mostly brawls until this is over. 

Just glad that he could still go through the matches. Considering his thing is mostly stiff shots, boots, knees and things of that nature, reduced to brawling doesn't actually change his matches ALL that much. At least it won't take away his best stuff.

Me, personally, I just don’t like to watch her wrestle. 🤷‍♂️ it’s the same opinion I have of Emi Sakura. I’m just bored watching her. Maybe it’s because they’re both insanely hyped up online and then I see it on TV, and it’s just… ehhhh. Give me a Shida match if we’re talking about the joshi gals.

Or, like how it was in 2019, give me Shoko!

• Like 1