DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/6 - 12/12/2023 - Always Bet On Black

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

In fact, when was the last time a real life couple working an angle with each other actually worked and was good?

Johnny and Candice in The Way?

But yeah, the Miro/CJ angle is weird. It's hard to see what the payoff is because supposedly Andrade is leaving soon. I guess Miro dispatches Andrade and then CJ gets her real client who could believably take out Miro, but that plays better if Miro isn't doing the "foreigner with backwards gender views" thing. He never should've dropped the redeemer stuff, just found a way to work CJ into that.

• Like 1

Commentary on this show was rough.  So Eddie hits the ring a house afire and blasts Claudio with 1) a backfist 2) a backdrop driver 3) a tope suicida and 4) a Northern Lights bomb.  Instead of the play by play man (Schiavone) calling it and getting over how Eddie might win this thing right now holy shit this is crazy, you get Nigel doing the most dull, slowly delivered color commentary over the Northern Lights bomb and subsequent pin attempt.  Just pissed all over any sense of urgency and completely gave away the fact that there was no way that could be the finish.  It would be like a kick returner ripping off a 99 yarder on the opening kickoff while PBP man lays out as the color commentator talks about the host city's cuisine. 

Later in the match, while Eddie was trying to power bomb Claudio, nobody at the table made the call that this is how Eddie won the ROH belt from Claudio, which would have maybe been relevant to the story.  Also, as the time limit neared, Schiavone ostensibly got the wrestlers mixed up, misspoke, or forgot the standings.  He said that a tie would keep Eddie in the tournament and would hurt Claudio, the exact opposite of what a tie would have meant.

In the Omega match, Kevin Kelly said something about how everybody knows the counter to the One Winged Angel.  Nobody replied and it was just a real WTF moment.

Finally, in the main, Kelly said something about how, if Andrade wins, a lot of the credit needs to go to CJ.  He really went on about it and it just felt so weird and ill-timed.  That's a story you tell when the match is over, not when Andrade is holding his own in an absolute dogfight with Danielson and CJ is nowhere near the ring.

Just...man oh man.  Nigel feels like he's trying to get himself over and doesn't understand when not to talk.  Kelly is just shit.  Schiavone is okay, all things considered, but is having a hard time doing commentary and wrangling these goofs.  He also calls a crossface an STF and everything is a Blue Thunder Bomb.  😉

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, Peck said:

Pretty sure Andrade/Charlotte have been separated for months now.

They’ve been together the whole time. I mean, maybe that separated for like a week, but they’ve been back together. They just strike me as a couple that loves drama.

• Like 2

Miro is a guy who would’ve made millions as the killer Soviet bloc heel back in the day. Not even sure why they’re trying to give him some complex character when “athletic strong guy wants to kick everyone’s ass” is probably enough, although there are already a number of them in AEW which is why I don’t miss him when he’s gone.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Miro is a guy who would’ve made millions as the killer Soviet bloc heel back in the day. Not even sure why they’re trying to give him some complex character when “athletic strong guy wants to kick everyone’s ass” is probably enough, although there are already a number of them in AEW which is why I don’t miss him when he’s gone.

Not for nothing, but I'd be willing to bet they're letting Miro doing whatever character he wants...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Commentary on this show was rough

Nigel and Kevin Kelly are so bad. Tony working with Excalibur and Tazz is great because it's like working with a coked-up Tenay and New York Dusty. On collision he's working with a worse Scott Hudson and British Mark Madden.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I could just see Ex's teeth grinding over that one as he watched elsewhere

12 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Nigel and Kevin Kelly are so bad. Tony working with Excalibur and Tazz is great because it's like working with a coked-up Tenay and New York Dusty. On collision he's working with a worse Scott Hudson and British Mark Madden.

Excalibur has really been such an unsung hero for AEW since the beginning.  He sets the product apart.  Without him, the commentary team is all ex-WWE guys, to varying degrees, and all the bad habits that brings.

Having heard Excalibur do commentary for over a decade, I will say he seems to have learned some WWE-style commentary techniques, probably from JR.  Primarily, he calls fewer moves by their names and, instead, describes their impact.  For example, it's not "Wardlow with a gutwrench power bomb on Jobber Jones!"  It's "Wardlow SPIKED Jobber Jones there!"  Whether that's good or bad is a matter of taste.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Rampage was fun, and Bryan vs Garcia was fire, but I had to give it 3 tries before seeing it all the way through because of night shift and falling back to sleep on the couch. Abadon getting things to do was also nice. Good showing by Matt Sydal (and Daniels) as usual.

Collision was a hell of a show! Eddie on the board! Claudio's tournament is not going great!

Willow vs Mercedes was good, but I was distracted by trying to figure out Diamante's awesome pants! Then got even more distracted with Statlander's bad ass outfit.

Kenny vs Ethan Page ended up being an excellent match. Big Bill trying to make sure the tag title match won't happen for awhile.

Wardlow with the same hair as last time trying to throw us off the scent was a nice touch. Willie Mack was game but trying to hit one of your big moves only to end up in the position for your opponent's best move was bad strategy.

Menard and Cool Hand getting a real entrance and a reaction to match their awesome theme was goosebumbs moment for me. The promo before the match and the short advancement of the Ruby-Cool Hand saga were a nice touch as well. I wonder if Anna Jay is slowly taking Toni's spot in what used to be The Outcasts? Too bad that 2.0 couldn't get the win, but I guess Penta & Kommander needed momentum for the upcoming trios match?

Main event was so bad ass! Very hard hitting. Too bad that the picture in picture parts were cut out of this episode. It happens some times on DAZN, maybe it's just on Rampage and Collision. Bryan fell victim to his harsh schedule, Andrade and Brody now on top of the food-chain.

A lot of interesting stuff all around.

• Like 2

I don't know if it's been said here, but Tony is doing PBB on Collision literally because he went to TK and said, "I want to do play-by-play again." Schiavone said he expected to get Rampage, but TK put him on Collision.

Definitely a case of "letting guys do what they want" not being what's "best for business." 

• Like 1

Tony doing PBP is fine, it's Nigel and Kevin Kelly that are the problem. I dare say replacing Kelly with JR would be an improvement at this point. I was hoping after a couple months, Nigel would realize he's not in WWE anymore and therefore does not need to pretend to be JBL, but instead he's just gotten worse and leaned into the worst parts of his act to the point that he's hurting nearly every match.

If they're filming Collision and ROH together most weeks, I don't understand why they don't just have the perfectly competent Ian/Caprice duo do commentary with Tony. Or use Paul Wight if you want a more recognizable guy.

• Like 3

Tony Schiavone getting excited doing PBB warms my heart considering he fell out of love with wrestling for a long time until his podcast.  He might not be the "best" but I'd much rather have him get excited than Kevin Kelly being a waste of space.  And Nigel makes me chuckle at times though I get why he's not for everybody.

Speaking of Tony I never thought in my life I'd hear him say in 2023 "Matt, can I call you Daddy?" to Matt Menard on Rampage.  I rewound that a couple times to make sure I heard it right and man did that throw me for a loop.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I know that Ian doesn't want a full time position but he's already there for ROH. Why not use him twice?

He tapes the ROH commentary remotely so he's typically not actually at the shows.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I think it’s just Kevin that needs to go. Nigel is having a ball. Tony is pretty good. I’d probably rotate the third spot for a while and just see who has the best chemistry.

Tony and Nigel get along great. I can't tell you how many times throughout the night Nigel made Tony break character and laugh when I was sitting next to them at the Danielson/Kingston Collision a couple weeks ago.

• Like 3