DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXVII : WarGames - 11/25/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Greg you must have blacked out the MJF/Punk promos then because that is actually what you are looking for.  

The Punk/Kingston and Punk/Mox stuff was more in the shooty “2nd best John, 3rd best Kingston” promo battle style. MJF/Punk had like a month straight of just lights out stuff. Be My Valentine etc etc. 

I actually really loved this one that may have been YouTube only? Not sure:

https://youtu.be/ez7rTA3Sexo?si=oIngm5O3Oe0BiWEN

• Like 2

WWE has been safe vanilla Disney wrestling for awhile now. So I'm pretty intrigued to see if Punk sparks some danger or edge into the product. I think he'll be okay politically at least for a year or so. Nothing motivates that man like a grudge and I think he feels like the AEW Tony Khan grudge is the biggest one of his career now. Sure WWE fired him on his wedding day, but that mean Cowboy guy got to make a tame worker's rights joke at him & Luke Perry's kid had the audacity to say "that's real glass". The horror lol.

This does make me wonder about the opposite world we could have gotten. Had TK thrown all of his support behind Punk and lost The Elite to WWE. I feel like that's what went wrong. TK wouldn't pick a side. He played both sides until it was too late and everybody resented him. A motivated Elite showing up in WWE would have been fun. Punk getting more control to mold AEW in his image to compete with his enemy would have been fun. To me this is the least fun outcome. The Elite stay in AEW and meander around. Punk goes to WWE and has to tone himself down to fit into the Disney product. Lose / lose outcome here.

But I'm still gonna watch Raw for the first time in years just to see how much of a leash they give him on the mic. I hope it works out and Punk gets to end his career with a few positive fun years at the end.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

If Punk was coming back as a sXe goon and tormenting other members of Rey Mysterio’s family — I would be all in. Being able to deliver stories while playing a character I am all in on. But “maybe we’ll bring back ice cream bars NOW!!!” is not for me.

The only thing with Punk I actually am kind of interested in right now is interacting with Dom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jrag said:

Greg you must have blacked out the MJF/Punk promos then because that is actually what you are looking for.  

The Punk/Kingston and Punk/Mox stuff was more in the shooty “2nd best John, 3rd best Kingston” promo battle style. MJF/Punk had like a month straight of just lights out stuff. Be My Valentine etc etc. 

I actually really loved this one that may have been YouTube only? Not sure:

https://youtu.be/ez7rTA3Sexo?si=oIngm5O3Oe0BiWEN

I actually skipped out on AEW a bit for the MJF feud because of parenting. Will watch these now!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I actually skipped out on AEW a bit for the MJF feud because of parenting. Will watch these now!

I think you’d find the start to be some shooty bullshit, but by the end they were onto stuff I could see you maybe being quite into. But of course by now you’ve already seen so many MJF origin stories that it might not jump off the screen as radically. 

And good shout on the Dom stuff @Eivion. It’s not at the top of my list, but I sense guys with a lot of respect for Rey have been doing their best to really help him along. That could be fun.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Oh btw I love this shit. I unapologetically loved worked shooty bullshit. And I been wanting a real promotion war between WWE and AEW for a while, but Tony keeps playing the high road horseshit instead of having Moxley or Rusev or Keith Lee or Toni Storm or whoever do a scorched earth anti-WWE promo. Other than Punk taking some lightweight shots, the worst we've gotten is Serena Deeb (rightfully) calling Vince, Johnny, and Bucky creepy old men for making her get implants. If Tony won't go Bischoff on his own, maybe Punk can coax it out of him...

The only possible outcome of a true wrestling war is AEW going out of business. Why would anyone want that?

13 minutes ago, Dog said:

The only possible outcome of a true wrestling war is AEW going out of business. Why would anyone want that?

I don't agree with that at all. WCW didn't go out of business because only one national pro wrestling company can exist. There's competition across all kinds of entertainment spectrums. Marvel & DC is the easiest one. WWE is more popular & profitable. But both companies are healthy & backed by billions. AEW will exist as long as Tony wants it to exist. Will it ever overtake WWE? Doesn't seem likely. But that doesn't mean they will have to close because of it.

25 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't agree with that at all. WCW didn't go out of business because only one national pro wrestling company can exist. There's competition across all kinds of entertainment spectrums. Marvel & DC is the easiest one. WWE is more popular & profitable. But both companies are healthy & backed by billions. AEW will exist as long as Tony wants it to exist. Will it ever overtake WWE? Doesn't seem likely. But that doesn't mean they will have to close because of it.

You don't have to tell me that. In fact, I've been a big advocate of AEW just doing its thing. Burger King does just fine as a business even if it's not McDonald's.

But that doesn't describe the wrestling war situation that the other guy wants. A wrestling war a la the '90s, where one company (either one) tries to put the other out of business, in any situation, ends with AEW losing.

Edited by Dog

I've decided the funniest storyline for CM Punk in the WWE would be "CM Punk, insincere Triple H stan/superfan". Where CM Punk is going after various people for not being as loyal to Hunter as him, while Hunter keeps insisting he doesn't want Punk doing that and the fact that Punk will keep doing variations of his "who farted" face that he made in the Double Fingerpoint pic from last night.

Maybe add an element of Punk just acting like he hasn't worked a match since 2014 to make fun of the whole "WWE doesn't acknowledge history" thing that they did at times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If AEW goes out of business, a lot of people lose jobs.  A lot of wrestlers lose jobs.  They go back to grinding or maybe not wrestling at all.  The top performers lose a lot of money too because there's nobody to drive the price tag up.  Wrestlers themselves LOVE that AEW exists.  

I'm not sure why this is a topic anyway,  AEW has hit a rough patch but they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Zac_Fu said:

This is a shit move, and I don't think it was WWE's. It's the first TKO flex.

Somebody asked HHH about this last night and he said this wasn't TKO's deal at all.  It was all between him and Nick Khan.  So assuming it's true then there doesn't appear to be any TKO flex going on yet.

• Like 1

Tony Khan's family are/is worth billions. He's said it before, he could afford to run AEW without any income whatsoever for many many years. It's not going anywhere. It will get bigger as casuals find out there are now two companies. It's hit a soft wall, not a brick one.

As I said elsewhere, Fulham likely loses more money than Tony’s wrestling company, so it’s not like everything they do is about making a profit. I presume there are no issues until Shad (like Bob Carter before him) decides to stop spending the money. 

2 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Tony Khan's family are/is worth billions. He's said it before, he could afford to run AEW without any income whatsoever for many many years. It's not going anywhere. It will get bigger as casuals find out there are now two companies. It's hit a soft wall, not a brick one.

Wrestling fans don't consider there is still a number of fans that aren't on the internet and have yet to stumble across any of the shows. As for WCW, they had a terrible corporate structure through there entire history. Even when they were doing record business. Add the fact that Turner wanted them to fail. WWF/E even at their lowest times were at their corporate structure.

Unlike WCW if Turner decides to put AEW off the networks then I'm sure they'd get picked up by someone else eventually and most definitely Tony Khan won't allow Turner to sell them to someone else without it being beneficial to the company overall like a TKO type deal

3 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Tony Khan's family are/is worth billions. He's said it before, he could afford to run AEW without any income whatsoever for many many years.

I used to put on shows with my wrestling figures. When my stuffed animals started complaining about the stories I booked them even harder in spite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

AEW only exists as long as a TV network allows it to exist. TK might be able to put on a YouTube show or something but that won’t be sustainable. He can have all the billions he wants but if a TV network says “no dice” and he can’t get another to pick it up then sadly AEW is gone. There’s enough demand for programming out there but maybe not at the really big payday AEW is hoping for. 

That’s reality. It’s not a good thing if that happens. AEW is pretty hit-and-miss for me, but having as much good wrestling as possible is a good thing.